Paleolibertarianism

Word is, a bunch of us are now referred to as "paleolibertarians." See here for background. Well, whatever. There is one of two possibilities for the Neo-Libertarians:

1. Utter and complete failure.
  2. Success, but with no discernible essential difference from the status quo.

The current political system cannot be reformed. It never has been and it never will be. Political systems collapse (of their own weight or revolution) and are replaced with completely different ones. They don’t grow to become more honest. They don’t evolve into beacons of fiscal responsibility. They don’t progress towards a higher quality and plane of liberty and justice for all. They never tend to engage less and less coercion over time.

Practical politics is The Beast with an ability to feed and gorge itself, and that’s what it does. The Beast is more than happy to engage the world of would-be political reformers. Such naive sycophants are lured into believing they can weaken The Beast, but in reality, their zealotry in compromise only energizes The Beast and is turned against them. It will turn them into agents of The Beat too, just like it does to everyone who gets too close.

If the Neo-Libertarians want to be useful, then they ought to be showing people how to Abandon the Beast.

1. birdwoman on April 29, 2005 at 12:23

you know, most people would be lost at Libertarian. You start adding stuff like Paleo and Neo to the beginning, well… the only Neo I know is from the Matrix.

(*)>

2. The Complimenting Commenter on April 29, 2005 at 12:28

I've never heard of that word! Very enlightening post. Nice work.

3. Kyle Bennett on April 29, 2005 at 13:52

Reminds me of a Geico commercial. "Politics so simple, even a Paleolibertarian can do it." I should be offended, but its actually pretty funny.

4. Tim on April 29, 2005 at 18:42

I don't wanna scare you fellas, but I find myself in complete agreement.

5. Tadeusz on April 30, 2005 at 17:42

Libertarianism is too simple to handle the real world.
    Even the neo's are to intransigent to succeed. Compromise is the soul of politics. What, you think everyone who disagrees with you (that is, about 90% of the American people) ought to be gagged?

Or, everyone ought to just walk away? There's a word for that. Anarchy. Its where the strong opress the weak without mercy or rules.

I've got an open letter or two over here for libertarians.

6. Richard Nikoley on April 30, 2005 at 18:01

"What, you think everyone who disagrees with you (that is, about 90% of the American people) ought to be gagged?

Or, everyone ought to just walk away?"

Well, Tadeusz, that you ask such non-sequitur questions without knowing the answer to them leads me to conclude that you don't know what libertarianism or individualism are. Why in the world would I wish to defend some position that I don't hold, that doesn't describe me or any libertarians I know?

7. Kyle Bennett on April 30, 2005 at 20:57

Tadeusz,

You're open letter is a lot less shrill and a lot more thoughtful than this comment. You'd do better to stick with the former style. Instead of arguing every point you make here and on your own blog, I'll suggest this: check your premises. Just that, examine every premise you use in every argument. You've got a lot to learn, both about what libertarianism actually is, and about why we all think it works, and that's a really good way to start. If you're not willing to do that much, and instead prefer to troll other blogs, then your not going to get very useful responses.