Complete Silliness

That’s me, right here:

Photo_072005_001

Yea, always wanted to try the multiple monitors on a single computer thing, so when we recently downsized the sales team a bit, we had some extras. Setup is easy with Win XP. My existing video card had both DVI and VGA outputs, and the Sony in the center uses DVI. So, just popped in a second VGA card and we’re done. I took the picture with my Treo 650 phone so pic quality isn’t super great. But, after the Blackberry, the HP Compaq/Smart Phone, and last, the Siemens Pocket PC/Smart Phone, the Treo is all-around by far, far, far the best.

Still figuring out how to make best use of the monitors. Initially, I had my browser open to the left, Outlook in the center, and Outlook’s calendar opened in a second window off to the right. Now, I’m experimenting with keeping what I’m actually working on front & center, and moving whatever else I want to keep in view off to either side.

I love being silly, especially to "excess."

1. Richard Nikoley on July 20, 2005 at 14:00

Windows handles it all automatically. Just open properties and tell it how you want them configured.

It makes you 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 or however many monitors into a single monitor. For example, my dad was just in the office, and he's develpped some very sophisticated Excel spreadsheet template over the years for his commercial painting estmating business (hospitals, hotels, etc. — complex stuff). One of his problems is that he has to hroizontally scroll all the time across the spreadsheet, 'cause he has some many columns, now. I showed him how I can drag the spreadsheet across all three monitors, so I can go from column A to column BE. That's like 50+ columns of default width.

Not bad.

2. Kyle Bennett on July 20, 2005 at 14:59

I have two monitors at work, and it has noticably increased my productivity. I keep my working program(s) on the main screen, and organizational stuff like desktop shortcuts, open folders, occasional reference material, etc., on the other screen. I don't have much occasion to spread something out across both screens, like Richard's Excel example, but when you do need it, it's worth it.

Another advantage is that it can be switched on the fly so that the 2nd monitor is a duplicate of the first. I can then flip one monitor around to face off the front of my desk, and give a presentation to a small group or work with another programmer on something without having everyone crowd behind my desk to see it. For anyone working with clients in the office, I imagine this capability would be a must.

Most definitely not silly.

3. Adam Cilonis on July 20, 2005 at 12:54

How easy is it to switch info onto each screen-is there a program for this set-up?
    can you also split your screen in two?

4. Lute Nikoley on July 20, 2005 at 14:12

I think I'll get this set up asap. I know without a doubt that this will be to my advantage. As soon as Mike tells me what I need in the way of video card and monitor.

5. Kyle Bennett on July 21, 2005 at 08:32

sillygirl,

Well, it's not for everyone, it depends on what you do. I'm sure Solitaire and Instant Messenger, for instance, fit together nicely on one screen.

6. sillybahrainigirl on July 21, 2005 at 03:24

silly is just the word..
    i had two screens on my desk at work at one point and i too thought it was silly

7. Benjamin Solah on July 21, 2005 at 07:35

Nice setup. I have a mate who uses a second screen, usually for iTunes. I'll do the same when I get my new computer.

peace,

8. Walter E. Wallis on July 21, 2005 at 12:18

I am jealous!

9. Jonathan on July 21, 2005 at 20:54

Looks good – I suggest adjusting them so they're all "in line" with each other, though. Makes it easier to adjust when you move an app across monitors, and makes it easier to use apps across several monitors at once (big spreadsheets, anyone?)

I use two monitors here; once you get used to doubling (or tripling, in your case) your desktop space, you'll never believe you were able to do without.

10. Silly Girl on July 24, 2005 at 13:35