Hury, Hury, Hury

SkyTaxi Expands Into Northeast

SkyTaxi, a company aiming to implement NASA’s "Small Aircraft Transportation
System"
concept flying six-seat twin-engine Cessna 414s on-demand from small
local airports, is expanding to serve 560 airports in the Northeast.
Initial service areas are Ohio, Michigan and the high-traffic corridors
through Pennsylvania linking New York and Washington, the company said
last week. The Cessnas are flown by two-pilot crews from airports with
at least a 3,000-foot runway, and are upgraded to feature the latest
safety and navigation equipment, the company says. Passengers can sign
up for a seat, arrive at the airport 20 minutes before departure time,
and fly direct to rural towns and small cities without all the hassles
of airline flying, according to the company’s Web site. SkyTaxi is a
non-scheduled, on-demand service. Flights are initiated by the first
traveler to book. Other travelers can then buy a seat on the flight if
it fits their schedule. The company aims to offer fares competitive
with regional airlines, and focuses on service to and from communities
underserved by commercial airliners. SkyTaxi began operations in 2002
in the Northwest.

(source: AVweb)

1. Christopher Trottier on August 25, 2005 at 23:23

That's cool. However I, as a consumer, only want something that will get me from point A to point B.

2. Richard Nikoley on August 26, 2005 at 06:59

"Only want[s] sopmething that will get [you] from point A to point B."

How outlandishly inspiring.

3. Zendo Deb on August 26, 2005 at 20:21

A large portion air passengers are not traveling to somewhere near the airport. I think I read that almost 1/3 of the distance travelled in a round trip is not via an airplane. By giving you access to the regional airports, you cut down on travel time, and by getting out of the airlines (if I remember correctly Sky Taxi is General Aviation) you get out of long airport lines, and wait times.

I hope they make it, given the now higher cost of gas.

4. Christopher Trottier on August 28, 2005 at 15:18

I'll say that this is a bloody great idea.

5. Chris @ Deliberate Chaos on August 29, 2005 at 09:48

Send them to our local airport (Gary-Chicago). I'm sure they'd make a ton of money. Business people from the Loop can get to Gary faster than getting to O'Hare. Plus, avoiding long wait times (i.e. the requirement to be at the airport at least 2 hours before boarding) is an additional bonus!

Chris
    BA~~32

6. WiLL Garcia on August 31, 2005 at 00:56

Will it be more affordable then? Hmmm….
    Just bloghopping… have a nice day 🙂
    BA~~261