I heard this morning…

…that someone gave a speech last night, and the gist of it is that he’s going to steal about $200 billion from me and you in an attempt to buy back his political popularity. Then, I read somewhere, that:

[someone] said Friday that the Gulf Coast must be rebuilt with an eye toward
wiping out the persistent poverty and racial injustice plain to all in
the suffering of the black and the poor in Hurricane Katrina’s wake.

Oh, yea, that’s how you wipe out poverty, "racial injustice," and suffering. You go in and absolve people of all accountability for their own situation and then take near complete responsibility for managing their own affairs going forward. Yep, that’ll do the trick. After all, it’s worked so well up to now.

What a society of complete and total fucking idiots I live in: top-to-bottom and wall-to-wall.

1. Kyle Bennett on September 16, 2005 at 11:07

I heard him compared to LBJ, and I almost fainted. I support the wars and look forward (conditionally) to the new SCOTUS, but this compassion crap keeps reminding me why I'll never vote again.

And it will go far beyond $200B, that's just the one most visible theft that will be made on NO's behalf. All restraint has been washed away by this hurricane.

2. Rich on September 16, 2005 at 14:40

Justadog:

I think it's a great idea.

Fabulous. It may be. Then you and everyone who believes as you do ought to be figuring a way to make it happen, shouldn't you? Or, is it that if you can just get enough people to say "I think it's a great idea," then y'all get to take the money from others to pay for it. Is that it?

So, then, you and evertyone else that "think[s] it's a great idea" are going to have these people "achieve for themselves" by taking other people's money and giving it to these people?

I hear there's beeen a lot of "achievement" around the $20 million of $2,000 debit cards the feds handed out in order to buy a little goodwill. People have been "achieving" things at strip joints in Houston and Louis Vuitton stores in Florida.

Like you, there will be lots of liberals against these people having a chance.

The issue here, Justadog is that it is completely meaningless to draw distinctions between democrat/liberal social givaway programs and republican/conservative social givaway programs.

3. Rich on September 16, 2005 at 15:14

CSC5502D:

I think when you go from living in a hellhole to having everything handed to you plus cash, that's ending up better off, don't you?

Hey, could I get your address? I'm sure you probalby have lots of nice stuff. And once I come take it for myself, I think I'll be better off, don't you?

4. Rich on September 16, 2005 at 16:00

I believe you intended to direct that to Kyle.

5. JustaDog on September 16, 2005 at 13:26

I think it's a great idea. That area has been under control of liberals for almost 60 years – an area full of crime, murder, unemployment, and corrupt officials. Time those people got a chance of what they can achieve for themselves with a conservative agenda.

Like you, there will be lots of liberals against these people having a chance.

6. Doug Wolf on September 16, 2005 at 13:30

Guys,

Ummm… 200 BILLION?

There are perhaps (at the outside) one million people affected by the hurricane. If history holds true, approximately 50% of the losses will be covered by private insurance. For the sake of easing the math, let's assume that there are (at the outside) 500,000 people declaring a total loss.

That means we're giving each of those people (on average) $400,000 *each*. (And don't forget, I'm being very generous with my estimate of the number of victims.)

Are you telling me those people suffered $400,000 losses EACH? Good God, I thought you said they were poor!!

— DW

7. Doug Wolf on September 16, 2005 at 13:35

Justadog,

an area full of crime, murder, unemployment, and corrupt officials.

I have never, not even once, committed a crime of any sort in New Orleans. (Much less murder!)

I have never taken any action that denied someone in N.O. a job.

I have never bribed an official in N.O. (or anywhere else.)

So why is it you want *me* to pay the good people of N.O. $400,000 each?

— DW

8. Doug Wolf on September 16, 2005 at 15:57

Rich,

I support the wars…

And for the most part, I don't… at least not the one in Iraq.

Wars (particularly wars of occupation) should be privately funded.

— DW

9. Doug Wolf on September 16, 2005 at 16:06

Rich,

I did indeed.

And it was half tongue-in-cheek.

But only half.

— DW

10. CSC5502D on September 16, 2005 at 14:09

Don't forget also that Barbara Bush was called a scumbag, insensitive, etc. for saying that the people might actually end up better off after it's all done.

11. Kyle Bennett on September 17, 2005 at 07:24

Doug,

You're absolutely right. They should be funded privately. I don't know which half you meant tongue in cheek, but it doesn't matter, I agree with both halves.

I don't want to derail this thread, so email me if you're just dying from curiosity to know why I still support it.

12. A College Student on September 17, 2005 at 07:41

I turned on the television and caught the tail end of the news. They were calling the $100 billion the "New new deal" or something like that, the largest government project in history. They also were talking about the great things it would do for the economy and all of that. It's the broken window fallacy everywhere, and I couldn't help but laugh histerically at the idiocy of the media. So, if this is the new, new deal, would that mean that we're going to be in a depression for at least the next 15 or so years until world war III?

13. Rich on September 19, 2005 at 15:00

CSC5502D:

You'll just be….off.

But before, you said that handing these people everything, plus cash, will make them better off. Since, obviously, the "everything" they are being handed, "plus cash" is not their own "everything, plus cash," then it belongs to someone else.

But you justify that by saying they'll be "better off." Therefore, whomever can be made to be better off by stealing all your stuff, "plus cash," is perfectly justiied in doing so by your very own identification.

So, again, what's your address? Perhaps I won't be better off, but I can certainly find those who would be.

14. Doug Wolf on September 19, 2005 at 17:23

Rich,

Just to head off a blow-up… I think CSC was just paraphrasing Barbara Bush, and ripping on those who gave her grief for pointing out the obvious.

I don't believe he was insisting that the government's actions were a *good thing*.

You know, I lost everything I owned in a fire three years ago… and didn't have insurance.

I wonder if I could get the government to give me a debit card, a new place to live, and something on the order of $400,000 ??

But you know… that would probably involve a lot of paperwork and red-tape. It's much more efficient to go straight to the source: Rich and Kyle, can I have $400,000? 🙂

— DW

15. CSC5502D on September 19, 2005 at 14:14

Hey Rich,

You're welcome to come and try to take my stuff. I'm pretty sure that afterwards you won't be better off.

You'll just be….off.