Wada I know?

This hurricane disaster, relief response, and subsequent mass politicization of it did not pass my smell test, as I’ve already posted a number of times.

But wada I know?

K, then how ’bout VDH, America’s smartest, most truly educated man?

1. Rich on September 12, 2005 at 15:20

You're fulla shit, dav, as usual.

2. Rich on September 12, 2005 at 16:02

dav, you're welcome to leave any time. i get nothing from my exchanges from you, so your visits and comments are nothing but overhead from my perspective. i'd be more than happy to never hear from you again.

goodbye, and i certainly reserve the right to delete any of your future comments on the slightest whim.

3. dav on September 12, 2005 at 15:10

That is quite a racist piece you've got there.

I thought you were an individualist, or is just that you are an individualist if supported by the correct political process?

4. Doug Wolf on September 12, 2005 at 15:25

Dav,

In the name of honest assesment:

I just re-read the essay that Rich referenced… twice. Whether or not I agree with it, I couldn't find anything remotely racist about it. No where does the assay imply that anyone in New Orleans (or in D.C. or anywhere else) acted the way they did because they were black, white, asian, or purple-with-pink stripes.

If anyone in that essay was being racist, it was Jesse Jackson, for his comparison of New Orleans to the "hull of a slave ship".

That essay might rightly be labeled "conservative viewpoint"… but not racist.

My two cents. (And I'm one of the more liberal of the regulars here!)

— DW

5. dav on September 12, 2005 at 15:46

"chose to stay or were left behind in a submerged New Orleans."

many of those who 'chose to stay' or were 'left behind' had no other choice, their exit was not facilitated. Whereas those areas 'largely un-ignored by whites' were cleared much more effectively. Racism, is not just always overt. It is sometimes more apparent in what is not said.

and Rich, full of shit i may be in your opinion, but you are a sham.

6. Doug Wolf on September 12, 2005 at 15:55

Dav,

Like him or hate him, Rich appears to be exactly what he says he is. (Oh that all people were so!) I've not yet seen him be grossly inconsistent. That hardly qualifies as "sham".

Also… in your original post you said the piece (i.e., the essay) was racist. In your most recent response you've back-pedaled and said the situation on the ground in N.O. is racist.

Let's try to have one debate at a time. 🙂 If you'll agree that the essay was not racist, we can discuss whether or not the actual situation on the ground is/was as you claim.

— DW

7. Doug Wolf on September 12, 2005 at 16:17

All,

Rich, please excuse me for a moment while I borrow your blog to rant 🙂

Everyone reading this: if you're here to exchange ideas, to try to rationally persuade someone to the virtues of your value system, or if you're trying to *learn* something by listening to other people explain the virtues of their beliefs and value system… you're in the right place.

If you're here because you like the sound of your own voice (err… keystrokes) or because you think personal attacks are an effective means of education and information sharing… take it somewhere else.

Whether or not you agree with Rich, Kyle, and the rest (and God knows, I often don't), the real benefit of a forum like this is that it forces one to consider ones statements in the light of ones own declared value system. If you find that the implications of your statements don't match those things you declare to be your values… you had best change one or the other.

This statement is mostly for the liberals visiting this creation of Rich's: there is more to be learned through rational discussion among intelligent people with whom you disagree than there is to be found among those that already share your ideals.

Not that Rich and Kyle aren't full of shit from time to time. 🙂

— DW

(yeah, it's a slow day at work!)

8. dav on September 13, 2005 at 05:56

Well actually I haven't changed the debate, I am simply pointing out the use of words by this writer. The use of the phrase 'left behind' is completely obtuse, were they too slow to leave? did they not leave in time? was their route blocked? Probably a combination of these things, but only in addition to the fact the 'densely populated, unassimilated and poor urban African-American population' were abandoned. A plan for their escape was not important.

I'm not talking about overt racism, as I’ve said before, the kind you might see in your local pub after hours, I'm talking about the kind of racism that is in trenched within our society.

The writer, even in his choice of phrasing, putting 'chose to stay' first in order of importance, is evidence enough of his viewpoint. In times of extreme danger, poor Africans will choose to stay in the disaster zone.

and to rich, the curse of blogexplosion is that I have to from time to time read some of the guff you write.

Having said that, I appreciate some of your writing on your 'individualist' perspective, however your (apparent) conflicting support for government malfeasance makes me wonder whether you are really what you say you are, or are you simply another entrepreneur with a love of protectionism.

9. CSC5502D on September 14, 2005 at 13:43

Yeah, he means the racism that is the kind you can't defend against because it's "part of the fabric of society", etc. In other words, the kind you can be accused of but never prove you're not part of lol. How convenient.

If there WAS any racism in NO, it had to have included the BLACK mayor, BLACK city council and parish presidents, BLACK state and federal representatives, etc. etc. etc.

Apparently even black people are infected by racism against black people. By his definition, no one can escape after all.