got coffee?

Well, in a world gone insane with wanting to be everyone’s nanny, it’s nice to get a steer once in a while to some news that things we enjoy consuming are actually good for us.

Who would have imagined?

Yea, I know. It’s heresy. That hard-wired Judeo-Christian ethics has us so conditioned to think that everything we enjoy is bad for us and everything we hate is good for us. Never mind that we live longer and longer than ever.

Unfortunately, something like this is but a drop of rain in the ocean. It certainly doesn’t signal any end to the general stupidity, nor to the nanny-state.

(link: Balko)

1. Rich on January 20, 2006 at 14:01

They may love it, but just try to tell me they don't feel guilty about consuming it because they love it.

After all, it's a pleasure of the flesh, and therefore, of general uniportance. Such are the facts of their doctines, which I happen to know quite well.

2. Lute Nikoley on January 20, 2006 at 13:10

That's good news, since I consume about 4-5 cups per day, more when I have some in the evening. But, most fundamental, conservative Christians I know, LOVE COFFE. Just ask Hans.

3. John Sabotta on January 20, 2006 at 20:55

That's just a Proddy heresy.

4. Rich on January 23, 2006 at 14:37

5. Monika on January 23, 2006 at 14:25

Judeo-Christian ethics have appointed feast days. Years of jubilee. Enjoying your wine. And have you ever read Song of Solomon?

Pleasure is all over the Bible. Sin is what is prohibited, not pleasure.

6. John Sabotta on January 24, 2006 at 23:55

"Now Monika, just go ahead and tell me that you don't feel guilty, even just a bit, when you experinece pleasure. Just try to tell me that."

Well, and what if she doesn't? Then what?

She's right, you know. There is a reason a great Rabbi called the Song of Solomon the holiest book of the Hebrew Testament. You have a theory about religion, and perhaps there are religious people who live that theory, but you are wrong to try to fit everyone into the psychological Procrustean bed of your particular prejudice.

It's like you're trying to get her to admit some hidden secret crime, or Freudian subconscious bullshit "complex". Why browbeat her into revealing her "true" feelings?

Why not take her at her word? – she doesn't feel guilty about pleasure, only sin. And who shouldn't feel guilty about what they think is wrong? To say that someone shouldn't feel guilty about what they believe to be wrong is the same as saying they shouldn't bother trying to live by what is right and wrong at all. Is that what you want? Of course not.

Extreme rejection of the world is a heresy. Not to say there arn't plenty of heretics around, of course.

7. Rich on January 25, 2006 at 09:19

John:

Coffee, in my post, is only a metaphor for Original Sin. If you understand that doctrine to its fullest, as I do (I did attend Bible college, after all), then you know what I'm talking about.

In the doctine, you are giulty from square one. Good deeds, as defined by the "higher authorities," can mitigate that metaphysical guilt somewhat, but pleasure seeking only serves to give people a sense that they aren't living up to the demands of that most bogus of doctrines. Guilt deepens.

Why do you think Original Sin exists, John? It exists so that legions of "authorities" can have suplicants who already feel guilty, thereby seeking guidance from such authorities in order to assuage their unquenchable guilt.

It's crippling. I know, because I lived in and around it for a very long time.