The Obliteration of Reason

Do you recall my favorite quote from the film The Conspiracy?

"It made me distrust the language."

That was in reference to the study of the law. It came on the heals of a discussion concerning the "evacuation" of Jews, such being an euphemism for gassing and incinerating them at the efficient rate of 2,500 per hour (60,000 per day).

The Wannsee Conference was primarily an affair designed to secure allegiance and accord for the extermination of Jews from key figures in the German government. The method by which this was accomplished was appeal after appeal to legal principles.

With that in mind, stuff like this doesn’t sound too-far-fetched at all.

"It’s hard for a parent to compete with so many ads making junk food
fun and cool," Sherri Carlson, a mother of three who would be a
plaintiff in a lawsuit, told reporters. "Although I have a strict
policy against junk cereals in my house … this doesn’t stop my
children from asking me for them, especially after seeing enticing ads."

Yep. You can now sue because your kids ask you to buy them something, and get the pimps and whores in the media to swoon over you like some strung-out hooker in the Tenderloin offering tricks for a tenner.

(link: Hit & Run)

1. Kyle Bennett on January 27, 2006 at 16:44

Was that the one with Kenneth Branagh that was on cable a year or so ago?

2. Billy Beck on January 28, 2006 at 06:53

Dunno if it's been on cable lately, but it was definitely Branagh. He plays Reinhard Heydrich. Stanley Tucci plays Adolf Eichmann.

This was an HBO production.

3. Kyle Bennett on January 28, 2006 at 09:50

That's the one. I saw it a while ago, I think when HBO first did it. Creepy because it was so mundane, so professional – reasonable, even, if you forget the content and just look at the process.

There's nothing people won't do when process becomes the primary consideration.

4. Kyle Bennett on January 28, 2006 at 13:12

The poor mother is not the real culprit. Yes, she's a scumbag. But she would not be able to do anything but whine if it were not for the lawyers, judges, and others who have the power and choose to use it to serve her crass greed. And what they hide behind, what they use to justify doing so, is the process. They can and do have a variety of motives, but it is process that lets them pretend that they are not doing aything wrong.

5. Dr. John on January 28, 2006 at 11:36

Hey people don't sue for process in this country they sue for money. I'm sure the poor mother doesn't really want those commercials pulled she just wants the companies to give her some money to make up for her discomfort.

6. Garren on January 29, 2006 at 10:40

I have to agree with Kyle about people suing for money but I would like to add a comment to that subject. It seems here in America that our court system has also change from doing whats best for the majority to doing whats best for the minority

7. Indigo Black on January 29, 2006 at 22:48

I agree with Kyle also. It's all about the money and absolutely nothing about the integrity of the situation. Junk food advertising is out of control but you as the parent with the checkbook have the last word when it comes to what goes in the pantry. Kids are going to ask for stuff you don't want to give them. If you were stuck in the middle of nowhere with nothing else around, kids will still find something to ask for. That's why the word 'No' was invented.