Note to Commenters

I’ve recently deleted a couple of comments; on another entry. The details are unimportant. Both were by the same person, the second being an insult for deleting the first.

Here’s my rule for deleting comments: there is no rule.

I delete them at my whim. It’s my blog. I owe no explanations to anyone. In general, but not as a hard-and-fast rule, if the comment is of substantive interest to me–even if the implicit or explicit message is "Fuck You!"–you’ve got nothing to worry about.

To state it simpler: comment at your own risk.

That is all.

1. Peter Porcupine on February 23, 2006 at 18:19

Well, fair enough. It's YOUR living room, after all.

Just pasing thru on BE again; always a pleasure.

2. Useless Man on February 24, 2006 at 12:09

Please don't delete my comment, oh master of all comment-deleting abilities!

I know it's Useless, but then again, so am I…

It's not something I'm proud of.

3. Humble John on February 24, 2006 at 14:05

A comment , a comment, my kingdom for a comment. I beg for comments while you have so many you can delete them. There is no justice. Ogo ahead delete this one too.

4. OptyMyst on February 24, 2006 at 16:06

I love your policy on comment deletion. I never even explain. Heh.

5. keely on February 25, 2006 at 21:09

Good for you- this is your home, do with it as you please!

6. Rich on February 26, 2006 at 07:48

Yep. Tyepdad is pretty good about blocking comment spam. A person essentially has to post spam one-by-one instead of via an automated means. In the past few months, I've received almost none. Guess people realized that it wasn't worth individually posting 1000 comments in order to get one or two people to go to the sales website.

7. Mike on February 26, 2006 at 04:55

I agree that it's your decision. I've not had comments on my blogs that were what I would consider adverse — except for comment spam, of course — but I would have no hesitation in deleting a comment if I wanted to, with no explanation. And, of course, all comment spam gets dumped, immediately!

8. Al Bjørnstad on February 27, 2006 at 05:13

I agree with you. I do it too and I do not explain why.

… passing by from Norway….

9. Ananke on February 27, 2006 at 10:59

I have the same rule for deleting comments on my own blog. 😀

10. Dr. John on February 27, 2006 at 14:37

Personally i treasure every comment I get. It reminds me of an old story of the old maid who was complaining about the widow who had just cremated her fourth husband . Life is not fair . She had husbands to burn and I havem't had any.

11. Jake on February 27, 2006 at 14:53

I love it!! I just don't get the need for rudeness when commenting. Then again, I don't understand a lot of what people do when it comes to being indescent. I just don't see why it is so hard to be polite. I think this is a great reminder that you can say whatever you want but if we don't like it…tough! It's our place in the world and we like to play a higher being in this place.

Cheers!

12. Kyle Bennett on March 1, 2006 at 08:38

We all bleed RED Blood.
    And all skeletons are white.

Kumbayah…

Michael, you're right in your comments about racists, but then at the end you play right into their premises. What you're implying is that we're all one race, and therefore we should all respect each other.

That's still racism. You're just substituting one entirely superficial characteristic with a pair of others. The underlying premise is still that we should treat people a certain way based on superficial characteristics. The only difference is that the racists you complain about choose different ones.

We may be all one "race" depending on how you define it, but any such definition is spurious. It is defining human beings by something that is not an essential to the concept of human being. What is essential to the concept, in this context, is that we are all individuals.

Racism is just an extreme form of collectivism. What people in Nigeria – and the rest of the world – need is not another form of collectivism. There's already way too much of that. What they needs is a healthy dose of individualism.

13. EKENYERENGOZI MICHAEL CHIMA on March 1, 2006 at 07:20

I have been receiving racist hate comments on my blogs and I have decided not to delete them. But, to show them as the indicators of the occupational hazards of blogging. And to laugh them off too.

Why do people hate even strangers they have never seen?

Funny to receive anonymous racist hate comments by racists who think all Nigerians are black. And who have a long way to go in their state of ignorance.

We all bleed RED Blood.
    And all skeletons are white.