“Illegal”

Someone in email, referencing a VDH article about the immigration issue:

Seems the most intelligent man on earth doesn’t have a problem with the term "illegal."

I should care? Hansen is educated and smart. He’s right about the terrorist threat–but that’s because Hansen is a war historian. Read any of his history books, like Carnage & Culture? I have. You can borrow it. Here, he’s out of his element and his league, in spite of his book Mexifornia. Hansen understands culture and geopolitics. He understands might and the power of the state and how the big events in history come to pass. I don’t know if he understands the sovereignty of individual rights as they ought to be understood.

Look, I’m right, even if I’m the only goddamned person in the world saying it. I don’t give a damn who says otherwise, or how many there are.

There’s one word that blasts the concept of legality out of the water, completely and totally: slavery. Think about it.

I got this, yesterday:

The word "illegal" is the key word here!!!

No, it’s not. That’s a cop out, and I think you know it. And uttering it makes just about anyone who does an abject hypocrite. You ever break the speed limit? Ever ride the Harley without a helmet on a back road where the risk is minimal, and if not, is it out of respect for a stupid nanny-state law, or just fear of paying a fine?

How many other laws do you bend or break?

What’s your view on tax laws? Are they perfectly just, because they are laws, or is taxation tantamount to theft and you comply because you don’t want the IRS trashing your life like Guido might torch your store in "the neighborhoods" if you don’t pay for his "protection?"

Are you telling me that you don’t know the difference between right and wrong, only between legal and illegal?

So, tell me this. Why persist with the legal/illegal BULLSHIT? I’ll tell you why: because you can’t make an argument for why it’s right to keep an honest guy from crossing the border to make an honest living, that’s why. If any of you were capable of making an argument about why the honest workers are wrong to come here, you’d do it in a heartbeat. But you can’t, so you hide behind loaded slurs like "illegal."

1. Richard Nikoley on May 23, 2006 at 07:26

bob the bunny man:

Um well, I guess you're a fuckin' moron. You can't tell the difference between honest work and molesting children?

While we're at it, why not just lock you up (so we can make certain to protect the children, that is).

2. Richard Nikoley on May 23, 2006 at 07:35

I guess I also ought to point out that bob the bunny man apparently needs a law to tell him that molesting kids is wrong.

3. Richard Nikoley on May 23, 2006 at 09:59

"…PROPER channels…"

Defined by whom? Who is it, precisely, that has the moral authority to stop Manuel from Guadalajara from trading his time with John up in the San Joaquin Valley? Would that be you? On what grounds?

Oh, you don't have the moral authority, individually? How about your neighbor? Does he or she? Well, if you don't individually possess such moral authority, by what magic do a "whole lot" of you individuals not in individual possession of such authority suddenly become so endowed?

Huh?

"The law is the law"

Idiot speak. You might as well be a robot for all the good your intellect does you.

"Doesn't make their actions RIGHT, does it?"

And this is why someone of your limited intellectual prowess is completely unsuited for this sort of discussion. You can't even ask the right question.

The question is: does it make their actions wrong? And, if it does, then by your own standard, you are tantamount to an "illegal" and you ought to have done to you whatever it is you are proposing to have done to them.

"I am legal."

Oh, well fucking congratulations to you. What a fat fucking accomplishment.

4. bob the bunny man on May 23, 2006 at 04:24

Um well, I guess we can apply that logic to pedifiles too. Why should we let silly laws protect our children.

I have an Idea. Keep the hard working mexicans, send Mexico our lazy ass welfare recipeints.

5. Kyle Bennett on May 23, 2006 at 11:36

Martina,

The whole point is that the law is what is dishonest. If an honest man is faced with a dishonest law, what is he to do?

This whole "It's the law" argument rests entirely on the assumption that the law is right and moral. If you take that away, it's obvious how simply answering "It's the law" is ridiculously naive at best, and blatantly dishonest at worst.

Face it, Martina, your acting like a bigot. Not a racial bigot, but a class bigot. "It's the law" is just an excuse to keep those who didn't jump through the hoops you chose to in their place.

You come closer to truth than you think when you ask "That doesn't make it right, does it?". But that's coming from the wrong direction. If you could just turn it around and honestly ask yourself, about something being illegal, "That doesn't make it wrong, does it?", you might start to see the world in a whole new way.

6. Richard Nikoley on May 23, 2006 at 13:01

Tony:

"Why do people focus so much on the illegal immigrants themselves rather than the people who employ them, why they employ them and the impact on the economy if they didn't employ them?"

What I want to know is what "focus" is your euphemism for.

7. Martina on May 23, 2006 at 09:30

That's bullshit, my friend. If honest people wanted to come to America (and were truly ABLE to be called honest), they'd do it through the PROPER channels rather than sneak across the border ILLEGALLY. The law is the law. No one is arguing that regular folks don't break the law every day: Doing the famous "California roll" through a stop sign, running a red light at 2 am when there's no one around to see, etc. Doesn't make their actions RIGHT, does it? It's illegal even if they don't get caught or punished right away. Same thing with these welfare stealers, non-taxpayers, and economy drainers.
    I am Mexican American. I am legal. My parents came here from Mexico LEGALLY. No one snuck over a border. Do I feel sorry for fellow Mexicans, living in squalor? Sure, I do. Do I support them or stand by them when they violate the laws of the country they enter illegally? Not a chance.

8. Tony on May 23, 2006 at 10:21

This whole debate is arse about face.

9. Chris on May 24, 2006 at 21:14

My biggest complaint is the use of our social services by illegals which may compete with other US citizens in need of those services.

10. Richard Nikoley on May 25, 2006 at 15:04

"…but we don't need criminals, […] we have to have some way of making sure they're not criminals, […], we're going to have to CHECK THEM ALL even if we're only looking for a slim minority. And that requires a system."

Well, OK, Robert. How about you get in line first? And then how about your family and such. I just want to make sure you're not criminals, you know.

After all, that's just the most imporant thing I can imagine.

Got to make sure there's no criminals.

11. Robert Giggles on May 25, 2006 at 14:53

It's not about the honest people, man, it's about the 1 piece of shit person out of every 50 honest ones that's going to come here and commit crime or feed off the system or otherwise just abuse his rights. We NEED immigrants, but we don't need criminals, and if we're going to let the honest people in we have to have some way of making sure they're not criminals, and until we get magic intention scanners, we're going to have to CHECK THEM ALL even if we're only looking for a slim minority. And that requires a system.

The vast, vast majority of people with a plane tickets just want to get to where they're going, but should we close up airport security just because MOST people are honest? Think with your brain, man.

12. Robert Giggles on May 28, 2006 at 12:19

I have no problem with getting in line. I have nothing to hide. Do you?

13. John T. Kennedy on May 28, 2006 at 19:05

The last Hanson article on immigration is pathetic. Paraphrasing:

"Illegal immigrants must be stopped before we give them more state benefits and continue to forget to tax them."

14. Richard Nikoley on May 29, 2006 at 10:15

"I have nothing to hide. Do you?"

Well, yes I do. And you do too, you goddamned liar. Everybody does, as they should.

"I have no problem with getting in line."

Well effing good for you. Get in line, then, if that's your value. We're not talking about the social graces, here–politely taking your turn at the freeway exit ramp. We're talking about denying a human being his right to trade with whomever he wants to, with whomever he deems will be the best excahnge for him.

Jesus Christ; I hate you goddamned mother-fuckers more than just about anyone.

Fuck you.