That About Sums it Up

I just received something in email that about made my blood boil. That’s been dealt with severely.

Let me tell you conservatives and Republicans something: You disgust me with your incessant and evil harping about "illegal" immigration. You have lost completely and totally the spirit of what America was all about. Completely and totally. Nothing is left. You think it was about a constitution and laws. It was about leaving oppression and misery behind, risking it all — including your very life — and seeking new opportunity in a new land where you could trade in peace and hopefully earn for yourself and your loved ones a better life. It was about Declaring your Independence from those who would prevent you by force from exercising what you believed was your God-given (not government given; not democratically given) right to the honest and peaceful pursuit of your own life, liberty, and happiness.

And you’ve lost it all. Now, it’s no more important or sacred that some effing government-issued ID Card that amounts to essentially nothing less than a license to live where you wish to live, work where you wish to work, and for whom, and raise your children where you wish to raise your children.

Though in a different context, Neal summed up wonderfully how I think about you, now:

I can only conclude that you beleive that human beings are
rightfully dominated by others through force. You do it through the
auspices of the "common good", as you and your ilk define it, and you
relish in the enforcement of your beliefs via the government you
control. As such a lover of power, I liken you to all the facists,
communists and other tyrants who have come before you.

You
do not know or understand peace. Peace does not require force. Force is
only necessary to protect that which is yours from would-be gangs and
thugs. Peace is not the product of war: peace is the result of
voluntary beneficial interaction between two or more parties. Such
interaction can never be the result of domination. Peace can only be
the product of freedom.

Freedom.  Do you even understand what that means?

No Neal, they don’t. And what’s more: the way they are behaving makes it difficult for me to imagine that they ever did. Frankly, with this single issue alone, I no longer harbor the slightest illusion about the Republicans being any less fundamentally evil and dangerous than the overtly commie Democrats.

Well, it’s futile, but I can’t help but throw up Binswanger, again:

An end to immigration quotas is demanded by the principle of individual rights. Every individual has rights as an individual, not as a member of this or that nation. One has rights not by virtue of being an American, but by virtue of being human.

One doesn’t have to be a resident of any particular country to have a moral entitlement to be secure from governmental coercion against one’s life, liberty, and property. In the words of the Declaration of Independence, government is instituted "to secure these rights"–to protect them against their violation by force or fraud.

A foreigner has rights just as much as an American. To be a foreigner is not to be a criminal. Yet our government treats as criminals those foreigners not lucky enough to win the green-card lottery.

Seeking employment in this country is not a criminal act. It coerces no one and violates no one’s rights (there is no "right" to be exempt from competition in the labor market, or in any other market).

It is not a criminal act to buy or rent a home here in which to reside. Paying for housing is not a coercive act–whether the buyer is an American or a foreigner. No one’s rights are violated when a Mexican, or Canadian, or Senegalese rents an apartment from an American owner and moves into the housing he is paying for. And what about the rights of those American citizens who want to sell or rent their property to the highest bidders? Or the American businesses that want to hire the lowest cost workers? It is morally indefensible for our government to violate their right to do so, just because the person is a foreigner.

Immigration quotas forcibly exclude foreigners who want not to seize but to purchase housing here, who want not to rob Americans but to engage in productive work, raising our standard of living. To forcibly exclude those who seek peacefully to trade value for value with us is a violation of the rights of both parties to such a trade: the rights of the American seller or employer and the rights of the foreign buyer or employee.

Thus, immigration quotas treat both Americans and foreigners as if they were criminals, as if the peaceful exchange of values to mutual benefit were an act of destruction."

Naturally, this post goes in the Shame and Disgust file.

1. Richard Nikoley on May 21, 2006 at 16:50

Sniffer:

You're a whiny little pussy-victim, aren't you? First, you get your ass kicked by "whitey," and now the "damn spics" are kickin' yer ass all over again.

Pussy.

(I'm laffin' atcha', man)

2. Sniffer on May 21, 2006 at 15:43

I read your post and found it slightly amusing. I love how you liberals are so sanctimonious

“Let me tell you conservatives and Republicans something: You disgust me with your incessant and evil harping about "illegal" immigration.”

I’ll tell you what dude as a person of color, Negro if you wish, I’m sick of you liberals pandering to these damm illegal folks. I just came back from Vegas and these Mexicans have a strong foothold on quite a number of jobs there. Another reason black folks can’t get jobs from whitey. Hire some illegal bastard because he is willing to work for virtually nothing.
    Then you hear over and over that Mexicans do jobs average Americans won’t do, which is bull$hit!
    White people can’t even get decent jobs because Mr. Gonzales wants a better life for his family.
    Every major construction site in Vegas was 100% Mexican, all illegal I bet.
    In addition those damm parades made me sick with those Mexicans waving Mexican flags, disrespecting the American flag and demanding, sometimes in Spanish, their “civil rights.” Yes sneak across the boarder, costing us taxpayers billions and we are suppose to just sit back and take it!
    As written by a columnist this is true also “Sen. Ted Kennedy’s pathetic pandering to this burgeoning new constituency contributed to the national wake-up call as well.”
    You liberals see and opportunity to kiss ass to a new voting block, never mind what it does to the country.
    Now I read that several of these liberal groups are going to help these illegals gain entry to the country.
    Yes we need to keep speaking out, fine these employers who hire them, we need a damm wall, we need more than 6,000 troops and Bush needs to do his job and keep these people out. Make them go through the normal process and make that idiot president of Mexico fulfill his responsibility, we should slap trade tarriffs on Mexico for allowing this boarder invasion.
    The United States could stop this TODAY, but yes individuals like yourself love to play goodwill ambassador without looking at the effects on this nation.
    I’m glad conservative like myself disgust you, as far as the corrosive nature of liberalism is concerned I would not have it any other way.

3. Marie on May 21, 2006 at 20:15

"It was about leaving oppression and misery behind, risking it all — including your very life — and seeking new opportunity in a new land where you could trade in peace and hopefully earn for yourself and your loved ones a better life."

Why can't they just do it legally? That's what I don't understand. I support their desire to pursue the American Dream. It's the illegal part that I oppose.

My mother came here as a legal alien in 1959. She worked, and re-registered every year to get her green card, until 2000, when she decided to become a citizen. I am not against immigration! But why can't they come through legal channels?

4. Richard Nikoley on May 22, 2006 at 12:24

James:

Don't think I don't know who you are. Don't think I don't know why someone like you uses the "get a grip" dismissal. I've been seeing it from the likes of you for more than a decade.

The simple fact of the matter is that you, and those of your ilk, believe in government in the same way you believe in God, and all manner of other fairy tales. You were taught them by your parents, their parents, and many since. You never arrived at such conclusions via independent thought from a blank slate.

You're just a second-hand regurgitator and not a single thing more. There are a million just like you — just as much the puppets of one political tribe or the other — and I've been tossing aside your irrelevant kind for better than a decade.

I may not have always been right (not so, here), but at least I have the virtue of having asked my own questions.

Regarding the question of government, you clearly wouldn't know where to begin. You've got no "grip." You haven't the slightest idea of what you're talking about since you aren't even aware of what it is that you don't know.

5. Neal on May 22, 2006 at 06:47

Marie,

Was it right that your mother had to wait 41 years to become a "legal" citizen of a society of which she was already a de facto citizen? If you engage with another human being voluntarily, why does such interaction require a stamp of legal approval?

Shift your paradigm. Forget that, demolish it and start over from scratch. Question everything. Rebuild your beliefs using logic and reason. Why is legality [morally] right? Do you believe law equals morality? If not, then why do you demeand people be "legal"?

"Why?" is the most important question you can ask. Dust it off and start asking.

6. Richard Nikoley on May 22, 2006 at 16:28

"…but real criminals also want to come here, and how can we stop that slim minority unless we treat everyone like a criminal? It's morally disgusting and ethically reprehensible, but what do you suggest we do instead?"

Well, we could start by locking you up. Why not?

Seriously. Think about it.

7. dotbar on May 22, 2006 at 09:34

Well, in the Bible, God actually tells Israel to remember when they were aliens in a strange land and therefore to welcome immigrants into the land God gave them. I would assume that applies to everyone. But I have to admit that I periodically have to beat down feelings of animosity that rise when I see so many people (particularly in the city I live in)from other countries with great big beautiful homes and cars while I have financially struggled along. It seems you can come to Canada if you have big bucks. But at the same time I am forced to admit that, had I not been quite so complacent in my youth, I could have made more money…not sure if I would have made enough for a mansion though…Then again, what should they do? Give it all away and be poor? Like that would make me feel better…No, it has to be freedom for all. Terrorists, however, are NOT welcome here!

8. James Shott on May 22, 2006 at 12:02

I agree! No laws. No rules. No governments. Just one big happy commune in which everyone does exactly what they want to do and nothing more, and in which what everyone does is all that is needed.

Sheesh! Get a grip.

9. damaged justice on May 22, 2006 at 05:43

"Why can't they just do it legally?"

That is the most unintentionally funny thing I've read in weeks.

10. The Cranky Liberal on May 22, 2006 at 12:58

Excellent post Rich.

11. new illuminati on May 22, 2006 at 06:53

At last – an American with ETHICS who doesn't view the world thru the skewed lens of corporate-fostered jingoism. A nation is only a notion, but people are people.
    Almost all the 'illegal refugees' here in Oz were proven to be genuine refugees from hideous oppression – after we locked them up for years.
    War is not what made America a great notion. It was the dream of LIBERTY FOR ALL!

12. md.d on May 22, 2006 at 16:13

I agree with you that people aren't criminals simply for wanting to come here, but real criminals also want to come here, and how can we stop that slim minority unless we treat everyone like a criminal? It's morally disgusting and ethically reprehensible, but what do you suggest we do instead? We already have enough crazy motherfuckers in this country, we don't need more. We need hardworking lower class people, and we can get them from Mexico, but there's got to be some way to separate them from the badnicks.

So my question to you: what is the solution here? For you to go on rambling about freedom and human rights sounds great in the blogosphere, but how does it translate to the real world? OF COURSE everyone DESERVES freedom and liberty and all those wonderful human rights, but there's this thing called the "economy", you see, that puts a real kibosh on the whole thing. Keep letting more and more immigrants in with no regard to the changes in the domestic and global economies, and pretty soon America isn't going to be the land of opportunity any more. It's just going have a really high unemployment rate and even more corrupt leaders willing to take full advantage of a massive new bloc of voters- look as how assholes like Andrew Jackson took advantage of immigrants in the 1820's! The point is, we need to and are maybe even obligated to let these people in, but it's got to be systematic- festival seating leads to trampling deaths, after all.

Naw, fuck it, why don't we just let the whole world live in the U.S, and Canada, and Europe, and Japan, and all those other rich nations? They all deserve to, right? Let's just have every goddamn person from every pathetic poor-ass country move here! I've got room on my couch! Do you?

13. Neal on May 22, 2006 at 19:13

If the state would stop stealing and subsidizing and taxing and disseminating and simply protect our property … shit, that's a paradox.

And that's the point.

14. Richard Nikoley on May 24, 2006 at 18:23

I'll tell you why.

This is my blog. I make no claim to objectivity. It exists entirely — without equivocation or apology — for my own selfish pleasure. When I deem that controversy, arguments, even personal insults in comments serve my ultimate interest, such comments remain (99%). If not, delete button.

I always (at least I know of no time when I haven't) give commenters one free shot at me. I shoot back, and unless the repartee is a tone-down, getting down to the argument, I dump it. Unless the conversatation is intersting, I don't want 50+ comment flame wars that waste a lot of time.

Shott's follow-on comment was 80% insult, some of it of a clearly dishonest and manipulative nature. It was long. To answer it was simply: not worth my time. So I deleted it. No apology whatsoever. My blog. My rules.

I'll tell you what. If you were to look at the record of comments, there's lots of insults, even in the 2nd and 3rd round and beyond. That's because the person was at least making some argument worthy of being addressed. Shott is a Republican conservative puppet. He has no arguments worth more than a few minutes of time, and I already did that.

If he (or anyone else) doesn't like it, I invite them to read elsewhere.

15. Neal on May 24, 2006 at 18:09

Rich,

Why delete James Shott's comment?

16. Neal on May 24, 2006 at 18:39

Gotcha. I don't disagree with your decision or your rationale. I was just curious as I read his comment and felt it was self-damning.

17. Marie on May 25, 2006 at 19:41

I wasn't trying to be funny. I know there are legal channels, and I don't understand why people don't use them.

18. Richard Nikoley on May 26, 2006 at 09:48

"My Mom didn't HAVE to wait. She chose to. She wasn't sure she wanted to give up her citizenship in her homeland."

So, your mom pursued her values according to her own standards, right?

"I know there are legal channels, and I don't understand why people don't use them."

I'd guess because they don't have the same values and standards as your mom.