Count Me In

1. Sally on August 28, 2006 at 18:15

Hmmmph! In better company than I ever guessed! The low, low number of incarcerated atheists does not surprise me; I realized early on that I could not "fool" myself nor beg forgiveness for my actions – I have to answer to myself.
    /comments of rabid non-believer

2. Sally on August 30, 2006 at 17:30

BTW…I wondered where the prisoners' statistic came from & found this…
    (Guess being a Hindu is slightly more honorable…)

3. Kyle Bennett on August 31, 2006 at 08:10

I don't trust any study that looks at what people say their religion is _after_ they've gone to prison, and though this study doesn't detail their methodology, it looks like that is what they did. Such a study is meaningless for the point this video makes. The only meaningful statistics would be about those who were atheists while they were committing their crimes. Being put in prison is a life changing event – and jailhouse conversions tend to go in only one direction.

4. Kyle Bennett on September 3, 2006 at 15:01

The point of the statistic was to show that athiests are at least no more criminally depraved than Christians. As much as you want to bitch about wrongful incarcerations, (and rightly so), most people in US prisons today are there because of what they did. Even if the majority is there for non-violent drug possession (I don't know the stats, it's possible), then the statistic, if true, would still indicate that self-described Christians are more likely to take drugs, at the very least.

I have my doubts about those statistics, and I'll bet that most of those self-described Christians are CINOs, since that is the case for the majority of the population, so any indications from them are inconclusive at best. And we all know that statistics say nothing about your friend's specific case… don't we?

Why are you willing to puke up all of your rational abilities when it comes to protecting your obsessive fantasy life?

5. John Sabotta on September 3, 2006 at 12:49

Let's see – 75% of all prison inmates are supposedly "Christian" which proves how depraved Christians are. Of course, people are put in prison by the police and the state – institutions you supposedly have no faith in – so all this proves exactly…what?

What it proves, Nikolay, is that you'll puke up every one of your principles when it comes to indulging your obsessive hatred.

A friend of mine is serving a year in jail on the basis of perjured testimony. I've never bothered to quiz him on his religious beliefs or lack of them so I guess you'll have to remain undecided on whether or not justice was done – won't you, Nikolay?

6. Kyle Bennett on September 3, 2006 at 21:05

Gee, Sabotta, why so defensive and hostile? Having some doubts you're afraid to admit to? Maybe a little uncertainty that needs to be defended by an aggressive offense? That's what holding contradictions will do to you – twists your sphincter into knots and turns your eyes brown.

7. Richard Nikoley on September 3, 2006 at 22:15

And Sabotta; if you're going to post here, over-invoking my last name like a 5th-grade school child, then at least develop the courtesy to spell it correctly.

8. John Sabotta on September 3, 2006 at 20:16

In other words, Bennett, the statistics mean nothing. Tell it to Nikolay, or the "filmmakers" he's linking to – not me.