Windows If You Must

Today I decided to try Parallels on the Mac. So, now I have two ways to run XP, if I must. Parallels running XP as a virtual machine locally on my MacBook Pro (where it runs windows apps faster than most PCs) on the left, and Remote Desktop for the Mac, logged in and running my office PC remotely. My main reason for doing it is to free myself from my last PC at home. At this point, I only need it in order to interface with Sony’s e-Reader software, which is only for the PC.

2_times_xp

1. Kyle Bennett on January 31, 2008 at 17:20

So that e-reader wouldn't work in parallels? And, as I understood it, Parallels can run XP directly alongside OS X, sharing the desktop and everything, rather than in a VM. I'm pretty sure I remember seeing the desktop with the mac menu up top, and the Windows start bar at the bottom, above the dock. I could be wrong.

Hmm… I just googled it, and apparently that can be done with a parallels utility called "Coherence".

2. Kyle Bennett on February 1, 2008 at 03:22

Yeah, she still does some of that, though she's moved more to training/consulting. I'll let her know to get in touch with you.

EBay has just announced some major changes that I think will make it no longer a viable venue, at least for small to medium sellers, within a year. I plan to blog about it in more detail over the weekend, but I really think the era of eBay is ending.

3. Richard Nikoley on January 31, 2008 at 18:24

"So that e-reader wouldn't work in parallels?"

Well I guess I wasn't clear. Actually, at the time I posted that, I knew the software worked, but I didn't know if the device would interface and sync via the USB. No worries. Worked perfectly.

So, now I've got a few things now to sell on eBay, including a high-end Sony Vaio light notebook with built-in WAN (via Cingular). Interested? Sally still doing that? I can get to UPS early next week.

4. Kyle Bennett on February 1, 2008 at 11:02

Craigslist is good too, but don't let my comments about eBay scare you off just yet. The first changes go into effect next month, and the biggie in May, so it's still cool. In any case, I let Sally know to get in touch with you.

5. Sally Milo on February 1, 2008 at 14:16

Richard…
    If craigslist doesn't sell it for you (which it should), please do contact me.
    Thanks!

6. Richard Nikoley on February 1, 2008 at 09:49

Maybe I ought to give Craig's List a try first. I've yet failed to sell anything I put up, and usually within hours. I sold a pop-up trailer, then a leather sofa, then just recently a high-end mountain bike.