Finally; I can tuck in my shirts

It's been a number of years, perhaps six or seven, since I've been comfortable tucking in my shirt, save for when I'm wearing a suit and the coat covers the sin.

Here was my last photo set, not quite three months ago, end of February. Net weight loss has been real slow (only about 5 pounds), but very steady. I think I've reached somewhat of a tipping point, however. Fat loss has been far in excess of what would be implied by weight loss. I estimate just on volume that I've gained 10 pounds lean in my thighs. They are getting to be quite large and dense, and I can't pinch but a quarter inch of subcutaneous fat.

The belly is the big challenge, but when I began, it stuck out a good six inches. Now, maybe one inch or so. In addition, I have the subcutaneous layer between the skin and the abdominal muscle that has not yet seemed to kick in. My trainer says that in men, it's always the last to go.

Anyway, here's this afternoon; about 20 hours since the last meal and an hour from a workout. Art told me in an email to smile when I take photos, because I deserve to. Voilà. It's a far cry from this.

Richard_nikoley_051308

1. Chris H on May 13, 2008 at 23:08

Looking good!

You have made fantastic progress and that ab and lower back fat is always the last to go.

Well done

Chris

2. Richard Nikoley on May 14, 2008 at 12:29

Jim:

Well, all the gory details going all the way back are right here (in reverse order, of course, and beginning with this entry).

That's the long answer. The short answer is 5' 10" and currently about 205, down from about 230, with about 20 pounds of lean gain added along the way.

3. Richard Nikoley on May 14, 2008 at 13:12

I think my jacket size is about 48 if memory serves. Indeed, even then I have to be careful not to split the back seam.

4. Adam Cilonis on May 14, 2008 at 09:32

Simply outstanding!

Here is to visible abs at Hat Creek!

5. Jim A. on May 14, 2008 at 12:20

You should smile and feel very good about your progress…I'm wondering if you could tell me how tall you are and what you weigh?

6. Jim A. on May 14, 2008 at 12:36

Well, you're inspiration for me fer sure…I'm 5'10" and am currently 235…hoping to one day be 190-200 lbs again.

I appreciate your blogging about your progress, meals and your experiences with IF.

Jim

7. Justin Owings on May 14, 2008 at 13:04

Richard,

You have some seriously broad shoulders! What's your suit size on the jacket? I'm 5'10 1/2" but my shoulders are wimpy compared to those!

Here's my progress – started at 181 – got down to about 165 and am now around 169. BF% has gone from around 20% to around 11%. Feeling good and still chipping (slowly now) away at these last vestiges of adipose.

That fat tissue can be quite stubborn.

8. Stephan on May 16, 2008 at 18:22

Nice work!

9. Rob Barnett on May 20, 2008 at 09:19

Richard,
    Congrats on your work, you look great and I know that it feels better to be slimmer and in shape. I am roughly the same build as you at five eight, 229 lbs and a 46 jacket. My weight has yo-yo'd recently between job changes and divorce, got down to 215ish but am now back up near 230. Struggling mightily against cravings for Little Debbie, McDonald's etc. in between bouts of fasting and good paleo eating. I also enjoy Art's blog and have learned a great deal there.
    Take care,
    Rob

10. ElamBend on May 20, 2008 at 13:08

Richard,
    Good job. Keep smiling. I noticed a tipping point also. Plus, after a while you'll notice that you lose inches in places where you didn't know you had room to lose. I thought I was pretty thin until I noticed all of my new pants were too big and I started looking cut in places that I never expected too. This was on a very light workout schedule (lifting twice a week if I was lucky) and only a semirigorous adherence to an EF styled diet.
    Keep it up.
    -EB

11. Gil Maroko on April 26, 2010 at 17:46

Richard,

Great job !!!! You inspire me. I haven’t seen you in about 6 plus years and I always thought you were in pretty good shape.

A friend recommended the Primal Blueprint after seeing me go from 205 to 165 in 4 months…and back to 205 within a year. I was on the Isagenix program and it felt like I was starving myself the whole 4 months….

continued well wishes on your journey.

Gil