Photo Update

Looks like I need to do some shopping, eh? Thing is, probably another 4 inches of circumference is going to come off, as the sub-cutaneous belly fat and abdominal external obliques ("love handles") melt away. That's definitely the most stubborn fat for me. It's like I'm leaning out from the bottom up and top down and the midsection will be the last to go. I'm particularly pleased with how the shoulders are leaning out, even with some vascularity beginning to show. Progress is rather slow, but it's steady and consistent and so I'm satisfied. The last couple of photo shoots here and here.

July6-2008

Later: Just to preclude the questions; 47 years old, 5' 10", just a smidgen under 200 pounds. Rough estimate is that 180 will leave me at about 10% BF. Whatever the figure, I'll get there. And how? Just as I've been doing to get this far. First, an intermittent style of eating that's always low in carbs with no grain products at all. No vegetable oils except olive, coconut, palm and sesame seed. Meat (and fish and shellfish), some veggies, some dairy — mostly cheese — some fruit — mostly berries and melons — and some nuts, excluding peanuts. I alternate between a few more carbs in the form of fruit, or sometimes dark chocolate (80%+ cacao) and pretty high fat, usually in the form of butter, lard, cheese, coconut milk and heavy cream. Then there's the twice weekly, 30-minutes of intense resistance training in which I've managed to add an estimated 20 pounds of lean muscle over the last year. Finally, intermittent fasting a-la EatStopEat by Brad Pilon. I fast twice per week and will go to once per week once I get to 10% BF.

The whole story is documented here, for about three pages of posts, in reverse chronological order.

1. shirley on July 6, 2008 at 11:58

great job! congrats!!

2. Richard Nikoley on July 6, 2008 at 20:38

I wish you well, Shannon, truly, but for the benefit of others, what I'm doing is by no means a weight loss journey, per se. It's a life way, requires no MLM products, and the idea is to use an "ancestral" or evolutionary approach to pre-agricultural foods and functional, intense, fun, brief and intermittent exercise rounded out with intermittent fasting all adding up to gene expression that returns your body to its programmed composition, i.e., about 10-15% BF for men and 15-20% BF for women.

You want to lose fat, gain lean muscle, and the weight loss (or even gain) is simply the difference.

But, as I say, I wish you well nd hope it works out for you.

3. Shannon on July 6, 2008 at 19:27

I happened upon your blog surfing through Blog Explosion. Just wanted to give you a thumbs up. Keep up the good work. I just started on my own weight loss journey using Isagenix.

4. willyd on July 7, 2008 at 06:23

congrats you look good, you even have a little defanition in your stomach by your ribs.your going to lean out well.

5. Justin on July 7, 2008 at 07:28

Looking good Richard! The last vestiges are quite stubborn, but I feel confident that with the tools at your disposal, you'll get there (as I expect to do myself!).

Thanks for the update!

6. x on July 8, 2008 at 23:03

steady la!!!
    you are on your way on becoming the next Terminator 😛