Real Reader Results

Hot out of the email inbox.

Last time I went from 2XL to XL. Today, I went from XL to L.

Since I eliminated most of my diet soda consumption, and really
monitored alchohol intake during fasts — like none — I have broken through my latest plateau — around 232 — down from 255 — looking to go
back to 2-3 lbs per week.

I am ready to do what do what it takes to go down to target 210-212 or
10% body fat –
your last post with your picture illustrations pushed me
over
 – it is time to stop f***ing around and get serious. Your post was
great motivation to me and I am sure many others.

Also: I have cut out all "gym aerobics" — have absolutely no need for
any class or mindless activity.

It's yours, for the taking. And it's only natural, Animal. Fun. One you learn to Free it.

1. Elliot on September 21, 2008 at 18:47

Since I eliminated most of my diet soda consumption…

How does diet soda affect metabolism? Obviously, it's unnatural, but isn't it better than a heap of sugar in regular sodas?

2. Taddy Masters on September 21, 2008 at 20:04

To Elliot, Switch to green tea. Hot or Iced. Loose leaves are best, but tea bags will do.

To Rick, If you quit the GYM will you continue to walk?

3. RSM on September 22, 2008 at 03:26

Artificial sweeteners can still mess with your system iirc.

On artificial sweeteners:

Those were the three I recalled off the top of my head the sources of. I also recall one talking about the sweeteners still damaging your perception of food and thus causing problems, but I can't recall the source. Probably the same one Patrik read.

I have some more information second-hand and currently unsourced, I'll see if I can cough up some related stuff though… , and there we are: Carbonation isn't all too good either. Also my mother had a bunch of lecture information on carbonation via some seminars she attended, but I don't have the sources or materials available for referencing. I'll see if I can dig them up (currently received some contact information and will contact her sources).

That's what I found with some quick checking of the usual suspects. Someone else might have better info than that.

4. Elliot on September 21, 2008 at 21:35

I do drink a lot of tea, sweetened with saccharine when I make it myself. I am planning to phase out the diet sodas–which is hard, I enjoy the acidic bite and the fizz with a meal.

I was just wondering if there was any scientific reason (observed affect) why artificial sweeteners could hamper a fitness program, in general.

Thanks for any advice.

5. Patrik on September 21, 2008 at 21:56

@Elliot

Diet soda may pop your insulin just like sugar based drinks do. I don't know if this is a fact, but I have read that your body can initiate an insulin response simply by tasting something sweet, even if there are no sugars present.

6. Elliot on September 22, 2008 at 06:38

RSM, thanks for the very useful links.

My wife, I, and several other family members (from AK, CA, & TX) set 21 Sep as the start date for dieting. I'm the only one doing EvFit, so I'm under pressure to convince them of the benefits. I allowed myself to get one 12-pack of caffeine-free diet Coke, as opposed to my usual stack of 'em, to wean myself off. I suspected that to be effective, I'd have to give up the "diet" drinks, though I didn't know specific details, beyond the obvious fact that the processed chemicals don't fit into our evolution.

I'm thinking of going with honey-sweetened tea once my Coke supply runs out, and experimenting with lower amounts to see what I can tolerate. Being too Spartan with a diet tends to build up my urge to give up.

I remember Richard, et al., mentioning that a low-carb diet tends to suppress the cravings for sweets (as well as making things like broccoli taste sweeter), so I'm hoping that when my body adjusts, that will help.

7. brian0918 on September 23, 2008 at 11:48

Elliot: I used to drink diet Mountain Dew, diet Coke, etc, like an addict – at least 6 cans a day. I was to the point where I felt jittery and anxious. Then a couple days ago, I stopped, and started to get the caffeine headache. I started drinking green tea the next day, and the headache is gone. I'm only drinking about 2-3 cups of tea a day, as well, which is much less caffeine than before. I've also been putting just a drop or two of honey in each cup, just to give it a little sweet edge – it only adds like 1-2 grams of carbs.