Veggie Color & Spaghetti

Let's get right to it. The other night I had family over and did a Thai green curry. While I didn't get a final dish pic, here's a transitional, all color.

Color vegetables

Prior to this, I did the chicken breast and Polish sausage (in coconut oil). In a separate sauce pan, I heated a can of coconut oil and about a couple of tablespoons of Thai green curry (should be able to get in most supermarkets). Once the veggies were well on their way, I added back the meat, dumped the curry over the whole thing, covered and simmered about 15 minutes. It was devoured.

Inspired by Mark Sisson, I tried my hand at spaghetti squash last evening. Rather than his meat sauce recipe, I used my mom's (with a few of my own mods). Here's the ingredient list in photo.

Spaghetti sqash ingredients

So we have ground beef (I used lean, this time, as free tallow doesn't improve the taste of this sauce), onions, green bell pepper, celery, mushrooms, canned tomatoes, olives, and tomato sauce. Spice & herb wise, we've got the fresh parsley, oregano, and basil, and in addition, dry Italian seasoning and marjoram will go in. I also used about a half bulb of crushed fresh garlic.

In terms of quantity, it's hard to ruin this. For the dry spices, about a tablespoon each. All the canned stuff went in completely (drain the olives). For the fresh herbs, about a half handful chopped into the cooking. For the spaghetti squash, puncture the skin a few time, and into the oven at 350 for an hour, cut in half, scrape out the seeds. Once I got the sauce going, I did a low simmer for about 3 hours.

Here's how the spaghetti squash works.

Spaghetti sqash

And now for the final, garnished with some additional fresh parsley, parmesan, and basil.

Spaghetti squash

I believe I recall having this squash as a kid, not sure, but I must say that of all the "low-carb substitute" dishes that attempt to mimic a favorite, this one is by far the best. While there's a tradeoff as good al dente pasta can be quite pleasing to the pallet, this has a very pleasant crunch, a striking freshness, and a bit of sweetness.

A very worthwhile endeavor.

1. InternetPopular on January 18, 2009 at 20:43

That looks delicious

2. Andy on January 18, 2009 at 20:54

We've also found that spaghetti squash is a good substitute for pasta, but have not been able to get it cooked al dente.

I'll have to try cooking it and then cutting it as you suggest. Normally, I cut it in half, scoop out the seeds and add some olive oil and pepper. The down side is that you need a VERY sharp knife to cut that gord in two without slicing off a digit.

3. Rory Hodgson on January 19, 2009 at 15:19

I think it might have been you that recommended this to me on Noodlefood a short while back, when I asked what could possibly satisfy my love of Pasta.

I am going to get my hands on some of these bad boys!

I'm officially going to be known as the Squash-nut in my house. I regularly bring back two large Butternut Squashes from the supermarket. Now these. There is no stopping me!

4. Richard Nikoley on January 19, 2009 at 09:14

I looked at various cooking methods and decided on this one:

Worked exactly as advertised. Easy to cut, easy to remove seeds, and easy to get at the goods (the hardest part is that the thing is quite hot). It retains a nice light crunch and a pleasant freshness.

5. Richard Nikoley on January 19, 2009 at 15:49

Go for it, Rory.

You know what? Pasta is a big deal for my wife. Probably her chief stumbling block. When I told her what I had in mind she was in disbelief (probably scoffing at me in her mind).

Well, she was blown away and quite surprised. We even had the same meal for breakfast the next day.

6. J on January 23, 2009 at 15:20

richard, general question,what is your take on salt? is it ok to have some salt in the diet? Cordain says no, but I was reading a review from Sally Fallon about Cordain and it makes sense that salt is ok

7. Richard Nikoley on January 24, 2009 at 07:45

Salt is one of those things I don't concern myself with. Just eliminating processed foods probably eliminates 75% of the salt one consumes. That's plenty in my book, and even though I do go for uncured meats like bacon & polish sausage, I'd get cured ones if I had to.

I have noted over the months that my taste has changed and I can really taste "salty" now. As a result, I don't put lots of salt in things I cook, but I usually put some.

8. Skyler:P on October 15, 2010 at 05:52