Quick Workout Note

Beginning last week, my trainer and I have decided to switch things up. Instead of predominantly lifting weights twice per week, I'm now doing weights once and the other workout is a crossfit styled routing, always different.

So far, I've had two workouts, and we're talking about lots of pull-ups, push-ups, kettlebell swings, and just now, TRX suspension straps, and various other variations of various varieties. Quite a different routine.

I like it. And I shall report. Right here.

This may end up delaying my photo update a few weeks, perhaps to middle or late February (I had intended it for my birthday next week, as I turn 48). Presently, I'm down about 5 pounds net from my last shoot, and so far as I can tell, there's not a lot of visual difference. I'm thinking this just might do the trick, as I become more adapted to the routine. We'll see.

Bea & I are headed up to the cabin in a few hours. I intend a barrage of posts over the weekend. Then, Monday morning, part one of a BIG 2-part surprise, so stay tuned.

1. Matt on January 23, 2009 at 15:38

Prepare for a new world of pain, lactic acid buildup, and gains!

2. Greg Freeman on January 23, 2009 at 17:04

Kettlebells! I really like doing kettlebell workouts, especially turkish get-ups. I've had a very noticeable increase in my balance along with the size of my core muscles since adding those to my workouts.

3. Peter on January 23, 2009 at 20:12

I did some kettlebell swings earlier this week for the first time, the gym just having gotten a set. They weren't tough in a working-muscles-hard sense (I used a 50-pounder, the heaviest one in the gym), but were much more draining in a cardio sense than most weight exercises.

4. babu on January 24, 2009 at 10:13

Hi
    Thanks lots for the Blog . It is great and helping .

5. Erin in Flagstaff on January 24, 2009 at 12:02

I'm doing some crossfit as part of a P.E. class at the university where I work. This Crossfit "bootcamp" really does get to you. I'd been working on doing squats, push-ups, and other activities for the last several months as a way to build up some strength (I was obese and very out of shape). Yet, the gains I made with doing these exercises no way prepares you for the intensity of doing them crossfit style.

I may have gone through some pain the first couple of sessions, you know, the muscle ache that occurs one to two days after the workout with jelly legs and arms immediately after the class. It does seem to work. And anyone who says I'm not doing cardio is crazy. We did some Tabata squats in our last class and my heart rate got up there.

Anyway, even for someone like me — older, heavier, weaker, physically unfit — can benefit from this kind of workout. It is scalable. The young students can do a lot more squats faster than me, but they're in better shape. We're all hitting our maximum effort.

I do have to say though, it's the giving up the carbs that allows me to have energy to even attempt something like this. Eight months ago I would have scoffed at the idea of taking this class. It would have killed me. Now I feel proud and excited that I made it through the class and can't wait until the next one. I do love feeling muscle under my flab!

6. Richard Nikoley on January 24, 2009 at 07:47

Yes, already this morning, and in places I wouldn't have expected. Well, fortunately, I'm weird in that I tend to really enjoy the after-workout soreness. Makes me feel alive.

7. Richard Nikoley on January 24, 2009 at 08:07

Haven't tried that one, yet, but 'tis on my list. The cool thing about the crossfit method is that it's so easy to create a one-off unique workout each and every time. With weights and gym equipment, it's far easier to get into a routine (or rut) and do the same exercises workout after workout. Although, we have always had a number of different exercises for each muscle group and have pretty consistently switched things up over time.

8. Richard Nikoley on January 24, 2009 at 08:11

I was using something like a 35 or 38-pounder, which was not heavy at all, but which nonetheless really seemed to add up. When doing just a standard squat and swing from straight out horizontal to between the legs, I noted that controlling the downswing (rather than simply let it free fall) significantly added to the intensity of each set.

9. Richard Nikoley on January 24, 2009 at 13:31

Eight months ago you'd have probably immediately have gone for the "energy" whatever, carb-laden post-workout meal / drink, thereby undoing most of what you had just accomplished to down-regulate insulin levels over time, turning yourself into a prodigious fat-burner with continuous energy levels.

Congrats.