Saturday Link Roundup

So much stuff and so little time to comment extensively on everything I'd like to. So, rather than let stuff stack up for the "someday" when I can get to it, I think I'll clean out the queue once per week and just give you the links, along with a quick comment. If I've got a lot, I'll probably split them between Saturday and Sunday entries.

– A friend emails to alert me to PumpOne Workout Software for your iPod or iPhone. Haven't tried it, yet, but looks pretty cool. Also, this friend contacted me a couple of months ago with interest in the paleo approach and is now happy to report a weight loss of 8-10 pounds; this, after years of trying without success.

– Diana Hsieh shows how to go about cleaning out your pantry to get Paleo compliant.

– In an essential weekend special, Mark Sisson reports on new research that suggests low-carbohydrate diets and go a long way towards rectifying fatty liver. Though the focus is on non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD), I suspect that a Paleo diet would be ideal for a recovering alcoholic with a fatty liver, not only because the diet will stimulate the metabolization of those liver fats (that can eventually lead to cirrhosis), but also because of the high nutrition.

– I mentioned using kettlebells in yesterday's post. Here's Chris at Zen to Fitness offering up a good intro featuring Craig Ballantine.

– Here's another from Mark Sisson that's been sitting in wait forever. Grain Pain. Many people wonder what in the world could be the problem with grains. Want to find out? Go off them completely for a few months and then dig back in. If like me and a lot of others, you will then understand completely. Here's a way to think of it: Ever been in a paint shop and gotten knocked over by the noxious fumes? Well, even though nowadays various filtration methods are used, it didn't used to be that way and you'd soon adapt to them. In order to really feel the toxins again, it would be necessary to stay clear for a period of time, such that your sensitivity returns to normal. If you still have frequent "intestinal issues" after being on Paleo-like for months, check the amount of grain and dairy products you're still allowing in your diet. By being "mostly paleo," chances are you're regaining sensitivities long dormant (kinds like insulin resistance) and grains and dairy now effect you as they should have been doing all along.

– I've posted before about the role of sugar and growth of cancer cells, intuitively leading to speculation that a sugar free, low-carb, ketogenic diet may be effective at stopping or dramatically slowing tumor growth. Now here's Chris Highcock with even more news on the subject.

– Like Keith Norris, I too got wind of this NYT article via Art. The Evolutionary Search for Our Perfect Past. A good read. As well, Keith's post is worth the read owing primarily to his too-gentle takedown of a nitwit blog post I'm not even going to link because they don't deserve it. The Ignorant posing as sophisticate. While Keith's treatment is certainly sufficient, I'd add just a couple of things. First, we all know about Rapid Evolution. Second, it's wholly non sequitur from the standpoint of any individual. Unsurprisingly from the tag-lined descriptions of the nitwit blog, everything is treated from a collectivist standpoint.

1. David at Animal-Kingdom-Workouts on January 24, 2009 at 12:36

I just surfed in from another website. I love your stuff, and thanks for the links! I particularly liked the stuff on grains at Mark's site. I plan to check in on a regular basis to see what you're up too.

– Dave

2. Chris - Zen to Fitness on January 24, 2009 at 13:03

Thanks for the link love Richard! Some cool stuff came up this week TTP was full of great discussion. And your posts have been excellent as usual!

3. Monica on January 24, 2009 at 13:36

I had white rice the other night with some Indian food. Big mistake. Grain pain the next day. Really weird feeling in my lower abdomen. Of course, it could have been who knows what else — possibly vegetable oils in the main dishes.

I've never experienced that before July, when I started a more natural diet. My worst case was when I had a run-in with peanut butter cups about 4 months ago, 3 months into my more natural eating… I was flat on the bed for two days, in some of the worst agony I've ever been in. To be fair, it could have been the weird salad I'd had at a local restaurant. But nevertheless, I don't think I'll ever touch another peanut butter cup.

Cleaning out our panties to get Paleo compliant, huh? Hm! 😉

4. Monica on January 24, 2009 at 15:25

Yeah, it made me laugh.

Way off topic, but just out of curiosity — I've wondered if you've followed Stephan's post on Diabetes in Tokelauans..?

There are some interesting ideas in the comments line regarding carbs, and I'm coming more around to the view that perhaps all carbs aren't really terrible — after being solidly in the low carb camp for months now. Frankly, I know some vegans who seem to do OK on their diets with supplementation. I'm wondering now, in light of the relatively high protein in potatoes, if that might not be part of the reason — besides that they don't have all the toxins in grains. I posted some stuff there about the history of potatoes in the Irish.

5. Richard Nikoley on January 24, 2009 at 13:34

Thanks, Dave. I'm going to check out your place this very minute.

6. Richard Nikoley on January 24, 2009 at 13:53

Ah, you caught that typo, eh? I just noticed it minutes ago and emailed it to Diana for a laugh.

7. Richard Nikoley on January 24, 2009 at 13:54

Thanks, Chris. Always a pleasure.

8. Richard Nikoley on January 24, 2009 at 15:52

Monica. I do believe this would make a good 'musing over Sunday morning coffee' post, so I'll withhold thoughts until then.

9. Peter on January 25, 2009 at 09:30

Thanks for the kettlebells link.

10. Richard Nikoley on January 26, 2009 at 11:07

I have long since dropped the notion that carbs are the main culprit. I think it's wheat, sugar, processed foods and vegetable oils — some, all, or in combination. That said, I think carbs can be of critical importance for certain individuals (obese and/or diabetic), but I no longer think that we are evolutionarily adapted to only low carb. I think that the closer you get to the equator in terms of your own lineage, the more genetic tolerance there may be for carbohydrate via starchy tubers, fruits and such, as these foods would have probably been readily available enough that they offered a decent tradeoff in terms of energy density, unlike the father north you go, the more waste of energy it is to gather plant matter and the only strategy is high energy density from animals.