Surf & Turf

Bea & I decided to split a ribeye steak and a dungeness crab last night.

Surf & turf

Notice the clarified butter. I like to make my own rather than use ghee, because I like it just slightly browned. That makes for a slightly sweet taste that goes way good with the crab (steak too, actually). The steak has what I call a "drizzle." I pan fried it in bacon dripping in a casr iron skillet, medium high, and with a lid that would just cover the steak. It was about 2 1/2 minutes on one side and 1 1/2 on the other, covered. Then, let the steak rest, dump off all but about a tablespoon of the fat, and then deglaze the pan with some red wine, about 1/4 cup. Scrape with a spatula as the wine evaporates; about two minutes. Then when it's thick like a syrup, check the steak. You'll notice it has released some of its juices, and you stir those back into your glaze, then drizzle on the steak. Way yummy, and easy.

1. Lute Nikoley on January 19, 2009 at 15:34

Wow, that looks great. But I thought you were pretty much a steak purist. No sauces.
    That's my request for birthday dinner at Mt. Madonna. Geez mamaholler, how can you read and see all this real wonderful food and then limit yourself to vegetables, fruit and most likely grain too.

2. mamaholler on January 19, 2009 at 13:11

I see this blog all of the time and I love reading it. I never comment because, as interesting as I think it is… I am newly a vegetarian and am really enjoying this lifestyle choice.

Is it possible to practice this diet with the exclusion of meat?

I keep a foodie blog, tracking my progress as a vegetarian.

3. Richard Nikoley on January 19, 2009 at 15:51

Only when grilled in the summertime. But I do a sauce with almost all meat now. Boosts fat intake and makes Bea eat way more meat than she has ever eaten.

4. Richard Nikoley on January 20, 2009 at 10:04
  5. Conrad on January 24, 2009 at 12:29

How often do you use your cast iron skillet?

6. Conrad on January 24, 2009 at 12:30

I forgot to add:

That steak looks so delicious that I'm about to go buy some cast iron cookware and some steak!

7. Richard Nikoley on January 24, 2009 at 13:32

Not terribly often. I usally use my Al-Clad stainless. Why do you ask?

8. Richard Nikoley on January 24, 2009 at 13:33

The cast iron just really seems to do a good job at this task. OK, now I know why you asked.