Girls Can Too

They can get real strong, can endure. They can kick ass.

Here, take a look at the short video from the 2008 Crossfit Games. Near as I can tell, those are 45 pound plates on a 45 pound bar, so 135 pounds altogether. And those pull-ups can be excruciating, I can tell you. Put them both together in a timed competition and that's really something.

I got that from Chris at FitnessFail who does a good job contrasting the model "look" verses the healthy and fit look, as displayed by the women in that video. As regards Miranda Kerr and Marissa Miller:

OK, does anyone actually think the latter two are attractive? Am I really this out of touch with what most people are into? With both of the above women, I see insanely thin people with no body (besides cleavage) and no muscle definition.

They’re nearly certainly what I’d call “skinny fat” I.e they’re overly thin, but the have no muscle to them and are still a bit soft. I’m sure this would be more apparent if the blemishes were not airbrushed out. The both have arms that look like skin over bones…. Again, maybe my own taste is different because I like athletes but in the model look I see frail looking women here, not something to aspire toward.

Yea, the only real change I see happening is acceptance of "full figured women." I should have taken a clip, but on one website I visited yesterday there was actually a lingerie ad with a picture of a very, very fat woman (but smooth & plump). So, you get skinny fat and just big & fat, now.

Correction: One commenter corrected me by saying those plates are 25 each, and then Dave in Ohio said they're 10. Looks like he's right. Still quite impressive.

Picture 3

1. J on February 3, 2009 at 09:39

I'm with you bro…however, I don't mind some boo-thang….might I suggest, vida guerra? I bet she can squat!

2. SB on February 3, 2009 at 10:04

No, those look like 25 pound bumper plates. (Doing 21 thrusters with 135 would be hard even for males.)

3. J on February 3, 2009 at 10:08

haha, wow, it seems that there are two J's on this thread. The one above me seems to be rather vocal about how he feels about the way women should look.

Richard, maybe I'll have to go my Minneapolis J, haha.

Well in respone to the "other J's response", Marisa Miller always was one of my favorite super models because she had a somewhat athletic lean body, curves in the right places. But in all honesty, I think that she is typical of one of those fake, fad dieters. Diet to impress, look good for the shows…

You know what really bothers me Richard? It's these models, who love to show off, and it seems like all they do is diet down and then when shows are over they are constantly at clubs getting drunk trying show off their ego and get people's attention.

Our way of eating well get us to look impressively lean, but for us, we are in it for the long haul, not doing it to impress other people. These models they fad diet on "low calorie, low fat"("calories are all that matter"). I wish people weren't so flaky, I am glad I know people who try to look good, but arent doing it to impress people. thoughts Richard?

4. Dave in Ohio on February 3, 2009 at 10:56

The green plates are 10# each.

5. Chris - fitnessfail.com on February 3, 2009 at 11:09

Glad you stumbled onto my writing and liked it, and thanks for featuring it here.

I mentioned this on another site recently, but I really like seeing other people making progress, especially when their methods tend to validate what I've been doing. My diet is very paleo influenced – and I've seen performance and health improvements in almost every area.

My blood lipid profiles have improved (from good to really really good) in the last few years as well.

Still, part of me looks over a plate of red meat and wonders "if I'm clogging my arteries with all this stuff". Gary Taubes wrote about this. For all the positive evidence that what we're doing works, the social conditioning is still there.

The more people I see implementing these methods, and succeeding with them, the less nagging those doubts become.

Keep it up.

6. Richard Nikoley on February 3, 2009 at 10:53

Ah, thanks for the correction. Yea, I've always wondered about that. I warm up on the bench with 135 and it's pretty heavy.

7. Richard Nikoley on February 3, 2009 at 10:57

Well, I Googled Vida Guerra and I think she's pretty fat. There's got to be a good 20 pounds of excess in that rump. She's just "genetically fortunate." Some women could have the exact same BF, but with their fat on their abdomen or outer thighs, looking awful.

8. Richard Nikoley on February 3, 2009 at 11:13

Chris:

Yep, good blog. I just stumbled onto it from that comment you posted at Fitness Fixation, right after mine. Poor girl. Just doesn't get it (see her final comment).

BTW, whenever you get worried about the fat, take a look at Stephan's series on the highest sat fat intake in the world (higher than Inuit, or Massai).

9. BEELifestyle on February 3, 2009 at 11:27

Those girls kick a**!!!!

I'm so inspired, and want to look like them!

Note to self: Keep up with CrossFit. Everyday.