Vitamin D and Muscle Power

One hopes it doesn't only apply to adolescent girls.

For this study, researchers followed 99 adolescent girls between the ages of 12 and 14 years. Ward and her colleagues took blood samples to measure the girls' serum levels of vitamin D. Many of these girls were found to have low levels of vitamin D despite not presenting any symptoms.

Researchers used a novel outcome measure called jumping mechanography to measure muscle power and force. Jumping mechanography derives power and force measurements from a subject's performance in a series of jumping activities. Ward says this method of testing is ideal as the muscles required to jump are those most often affected in subjects with vitamin D deficiency. Girls without vitamin D deficiency performed significantly better in these tests.

"Vitamin D affects the various ways muscles work and we've seen from this study that there may be no visible symptoms of vitamin D deficiency," said Ward. "Further studies are needed to address this problem and determine the necessary levels of vitamin D for a healthy muscle system."

Study: Vitamin D tied to muscle power in adolescent girls

1. Yavor on February 5, 2009 at 05:29

So the best advice is to get plenty of sunshine to naturally elevated vitamin D levels I guess.

2. Dr Dan on February 4, 2009 at 22:54

So eat your fish boys and girls.

3. Richard Nikoley on February 5, 2009 at 11:40

You might take a look at some of my other posts on Vit D:

For most people, supplementation will likely be necessary.

4. David on February 6, 2009 at 13:42

Dr. Cannell talked about vitamin D and athletic performance in one of his newsletters a couple years ago. You can take a look at it here:

Seems perfectly reasonable.

Love the blog.

David

5. Keith Norris on February 7, 2009 at 07:05

Interesting to note that the old Eastern Block countries supplemented their Olympic athletes heavily with vitamin D, even while "supplementing" with some other, more nefarious, substances. They felt vitamin D was that important.

6. Artie Lipson on December 18, 2009 at 09:42

I decided to move up from a simple multi-vitamin and decided to go with the best on the market, which is the Dr Max Powers “Anabolic Stack”. The more I research, the more I realize it is a good idea to suppliment the diet with a good multi.

Since I am the gym and working out quite a bit, I could justify stepping up to the Dr Max Anabolic Stack. I have been taking them for almost 3 weeks and seem to have additional energy. I have had no side effects at all and have gotten used to taking all the pills in the morning.

I recommend this product for those that are active and want to ensure they are meeting all their vitamin and mineral needs. If this doesn’t cover it.. nothing will!