Why You Got Fat

I'm back and getting in the swing of things. I hope to get to most, if not all lingering emails and comments throughout the day, among other business matters to attend to.

The day before leaving for Puerto Vallarta, I was fortunate to get my Amazon order for Fat Head and watched it during the flight down. This is a must see, folks. It's really two movies in one. In the first part, he thoroughly discredits that lying, opportunist bastard, Morgan Spurlock. Tom Naughton also goes on a fast food diet for a month, but a sensible one, keeping total calories to about 2,000, and total carbs to 100 grams (400 calories, so 20% of total kcals). He loses about 8-10 pounds, as I recall, and most of his blood work is improved.

The second half (the best) is about the awful state of nutrition science and dietary advice in America. Naughton even employs an evolutionary basis, as seen here. Now Tom has up an additional clip from the movie that explains pretty well how you get fat and diabetic. Do note: I am always hearing people talk about "diabetes in the family." That's utterly false, folks — for Type 2, anyway. You get Type 2 diabetes because and ONLY because you eat too much sugar, fruit juices, sodas, grains and all the processed products those things are found in. There's a genetic component for how easily you can get Type 2, but that's not the cause. The cause is eating too much sugar (all those things above equate to sugar; yes, bread is essentially sugar, once metabolized).

Consider this: for the average person with normal blood glucose levels, you have about the equivalent of one single teaspoon of sugar circulating in your entire body. One. Single. Teaspoon. So, what that means is that when you drink a regular Coca Cola at 27 grams of carbohydrate (or a six-pack plus per day, for some), you are ingesting in a very brief period, over 5 times the amount of sugar as is contained in your entire body. How about an 8 oz. glass or orange juice? Same thing (26 grams). Now, consider that as you go throughout your day. Look at food labels, and divide the amount of carbohydrate by 5 to see how many times your total blood sugar you're ingesting all at once.

Dr. Eades does the math, in case you're skeptical.

1. damaged justice on February 24, 2009 at 10:10

I'd cut down to a teaspoon of sugar per mug of coffee over the last year and managed to convince myself it was significant. Then I did the math and realized that my coffee alone was pumping me with nearly 50 grams of carbohydrate a day, just from sugar. As of yesterday, no more sweetener — cream when possible, whole milk when not.

If my roommate could just give up his Coke(tm) habit, I'm convinced he could say goodbye to the majority of his body fat and health problems, including gout. His mom has developed diabetes and still can't stop herself from hitting the sweet stuff. And I'm sure she's trying to eat a 'doctor recommended', 'heart healthy' diet that's making things worse, as well as boring her to death.

2. Dave on February 24, 2009 at 10:45

So what's your opinion of Ezekiel Bread, being that it's made from spouts rather than dough? I do eat it on occasion (one peice maybe three times a week). But, if it's just as bad a "whole Wheat" then I'll stop…

3. damaged justice on February 24, 2009 at 11:21

My own sweet tooth was naturally evolving more toward dark chocolate and similar things, but from what I can tell, drinking coffee that tastes like sugar only fed my craving for more sweet stuff. Having cut out any sweetener, now I'm not constantly thinking about even "just a teensy nibble of fudge" (and homemade fudge was always a big weakness).

Cutting out carbs — even ones I loved — has proven far easier than doing the same with sugar. But seeing how metabolically similar the effects are convinced me it doesn't make sense to eliminate/minimize one and not the other.

4. Paul S on February 24, 2009 at 11:30

Hi Richard,
    I have just started reading your site, and it's fantastic — thank you for all of your efforts.

Btw, I think I sat two rows behind you at Art DeVany's Las Vegas seminar.

Anyway, not related to this post — but I noticed your reply at Mark's Daily Apple on K2 and was hoping you could tell me how much K2 you are getting when you take the X-FACTOR GOLD High-Vitamin Butter Oil from Green Pasture's. My navigational skills on that website are either very poor or they do not indicate the amount of "Activator X" you are getting per capsulte.

Thanks again,
    Paul

5. Anna on February 24, 2009 at 12:36

Despite using sprouted grains (not exactly the same as "sprouts", btw), most of the Ezekiel products I've seen also contain a significant amount of soy, which is a good reason to consider their products carefully.

Your point about the "diabetes family history' is a good one. When I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes 10 years ago (it probably wasn't really due to the pregnancy, but rather permanent impaired glucose tolerance), I knew of no one on either side of the family who'd ever been diagnosed with any sort of diabetes, so my diagnosis surprised everyone (and wasn't even more than about 10 pounds overweight).

Not long afterward, an uncle and his son (my cousin, also my age), were both diagnosed with T2. Those relatives are significantly more overweight than I ever was (and eat far closer to the SAD than I ever have), but my early adulthood habit of drinking soda and eating lots and lots of grain (much of it "whole grain") caught up to me, despite being underweight until age 29, then some rapid weight gain and eventually 20 pounds too much weight.

The rapid change in modern industrial food and recent dietary advice of the past 40-60 years (low fat, high carb, improperly processed grains) is setting the stage for T2 diabetes to appear earlier and faster in the current and future generations of families with NO history of diabetes.

6. Richard Nikoley on February 24, 2009 at 10:48

I'm sure it's better than regular bread (as would be REAL sourdough, i.e., fermented). For me, however, I just want to get the taste for bread out of my system altogether, just as I do for the sweet tooth, though I've never had much of a compelling taste, as do some, apparently.

7. Richard Nikoley on February 24, 2009 at 11:35

Amazingly, they don't seem to know. Seems they ought to get it tested specifically. All they know is that it contains some level of activator x and that activator x is k2, mk-4.

I have been taking two capsules per day but am just about out. I just received a bottle of the Thorne synthetic product and am going to take a drop of that per day and see if my results remain intact.

RN

8. Ryon Day on February 24, 2009 at 11:53

Richard,

What are your feelings on fruit? One would assume that eating a fruit is less harmful than drinking, say, a soda, since the sugar will ostensibly be metered out into your bloodstream.

Even so, I find that I have to be very careful with food purchases; I purchased some plums from Costco that were almost sickeningly sweet, and so I try and stick to berries and melon for the most part (but I always maintain variety, as Art DeVany would say)

9. Richard Nikoley on February 24, 2009 at 14:56

Yea, you know, I'm coming back around on fruit and intend to limit mine a bit more and restrict what kind. While I had intended to lose more weight on vacation, it didn't happen and I gained some. Not the end of the world, but I did eat quite a lot of fruit. No biggie, but I want to get to my goal faster, so I think I'm going to pretty much cut it out for a while.

10. Richard Nikoley on February 24, 2009 at 14:58

Great points. What's going to happen when all the 30-somethings that have been eating "heart-healthy diets for 10-20 years start coming down with T2? I know: they're going to start poking around the Internet, and they're eventually going to find out the truth.

11. John Campbell on February 25, 2009 at 08:18

Richard,

Please let us know how you like that Thorne product – I recall you liked the results with the Green Pasture Butter Oil – I am just about to order some myself.

12. Richard Nikoley on February 25, 2009 at 10:18

Will do. Am on my last day or two of the butter oil. Will probably take a few weeks on the Thorne to see if I notice any positive or negative changes.