Fish Dinner

A number of people have asked me for the supplements I take, so I'm working on that now. May not be ready for posting until tomorrow, however, as I'll be getting in the car soon for a drive up to the mountains.

In the meantime, dinner last night was Atlantic Cod poached in a coconut milk green curry (Thai style). Just get canned coconut milk and green curry paste (or red, yellow, or my favorite of all: masaman, which is most appropriate for beef stew). After poaching (about 10 minutes, tops), the fish got a good dusting of paprika and sprinkling of parsley, upon which it went under the high broiler for about 3 minutes. Then I spooned on the curry sauce.

Cod in green curry

The side is artichoke hears cooked in butter.

1. Matt on March 6, 2009 at 17:33

That looks tasty. You might be interested to know that the environmental defense fund has Atlantic Cod as an "Eco-Worst Choice" and suggests alternatives of: Alaska pollock (U.S.), Pacific cod caught by longline, Pacific halibut.

See here: http://www.edf.org/page.cfm?tagID=15892

But it looks like it didn't get the high mercury warning.

2. Matt on March 6, 2009 at 21:17

Yeah, sorry, when I started writing I thought they were one of the high-mercury fish, but I was wrong.

I don't know too much about the Environmental Defense Fund, but since I've been increasing the amount of fish and meat that I'm eating, I'm trying to be responsible about it. Pastured beef and chicken seems like a good move, but I'm still trying to figure out what's up with fish.

3. Monica on March 6, 2009 at 18:21

YUM! I'm going to be trying a dinner like that soon!

Do you ever cook trout? I have a bunch of that in the freezer but I'm not quite sure what to do with it. 🙂

4. Richard Nikoley on March 7, 2009 at 09:27

Check this out:

5. Richard Nikoley on March 6, 2009 at 18:35

We ate tons when I was a kid, living right on the Truckee river (Tahoe to Pyramid) in Reno, NV. Most of the way we fixed it was fried (with skin) rubbed with corn meal, as I recall. I'd do it in lard or bacon drippings, whole with skin, in a cast iron skillet. When done, you can butter knife it right along the vertebrae and separate the halves from the spine & rib bones. Experiment with spices & rubs (on the skin).

6. minneapolis J on March 6, 2009 at 19:04

My ideas are not nearly as amazing as Richards(then again not many can create the meals he does). I eat so much trout(especially steelhead). I usually season it with cajun spices, and let it cook until it flakes in the middle. Pick at the center and twist with fork and it the flesh is coming off the skin, then its ready) If you have it frozen, just thought it out completely.
    Just preheat oven to 400 degrees and bake for 10-12 minutes….

7. Richard Nikoley on March 6, 2009 at 20:42

In addition to the rainbow and browns we took from the Truckee regularly, we had an annual fishing trip every August to the Klamath river where the steelhead run up (like the salmon) from the coast, downstream. I was catching 1-2 pounders as a kid, much larger than trout and perhaps the greatest fighters, pound for pound. Though we ate them a lot in various ways, we also smoked them a lot and for my money, that's the best way to take 'em.

8. Richard Nikoley on March 6, 2009 at 20:51

Pretty sure you know what I think of The Environmental Defense Fund (and all such activist and public _collectivist_ organizations that seek to Neolithically mold us into the collective equivalent of bees and ants).

9. Richard Nikoley on March 6, 2009 at 22:06

That's cool, and I sincerely hope that I can someday share that value more seriously. I know it's a big one for Stephan and others, and I really respect that they (and you) can spend time on such decisions. I'm simply too busy, which is to say that on a scale of values, there's too many of a higher priority. If I had less important (to me, of course) values to juggle, this would take up the open space.

I hope to join you all more sincerely in the future. In the meantime, I'll cheerlead as best I can.

10. Monica on March 7, 2009 at 06:18

Had no idea there were trout in Nevada, Richard. (I grew up in upstate NY, where they are also abundant.) You learn something new every day!

Both of the suggestions sound great! Thank you!

11. Richard Nikoley on March 7, 2009 at 09:24

The cutthroat trout in Pyramid lake grow to 10-20 pounds, with trophy fish bigger than that. My dad and grandfather used to take me there as a kid pretty often.

12. minneapolis J on March 7, 2009 at 13:53

Wow Richard, I would have never guessed that you actually ate a lot of trout bc you havent posted a food picture with it. Trout in my opinion is the best fish, but then again, we get farmed steelhead trout around here. I actually like farmed fish better(but I am a bit scared of farmed salmon so i never eat that).

Steelhead is so good because it has this soft, oily taste, and is a better version of salmon. Richard, you must have had wild trout then. Is wild trout nice and greasy tasting or lean, tough?

13. Richard Nikoley on March 7, 2009 at 14:09

Actually, I haven't had any in a long time. But, I just may, soon. Wild trout is excellent in my opinion. Not too oily, but very tender and delicate, especially the smaller ones. The huge one's fro Pyramid I commented on had a bit of a peculiar taste I didn't care for, then we figured out how to cook it: baked, with lemon, tomato, and cloves of all things.

14. Krys on March 8, 2009 at 19:42

I can't wait to try this!! Thanks for all the creative recipes you come up with, this is not a combination I would have thought of.

15. Tom Moertel on March 8, 2009 at 21:41

What a coincidence! I had haddock with artichoke hearts a few nights ago, and I've also been enjoying a lot of curries (pix below).

If you don't mind my asking, which brand of curry to you use? (I've tried Maesri Thai red curry, which I thought was very good, and A Taste of Thai red curry, which was decent but didn't impress me as much.)

16. Richard Nikoley on March 8, 2009 at 22:06

Tom: I'm up at my cabin so I cant get at the brand right now. Generally, I use what's available at the local world market, which I thin is the same as at the supermarket. I really need to get to an ethnic store and get real imported stuff.

I like your presentation. My style has usually been to just get a picture and not worry about prettiness. Definite value, but, I also want readers to get a real sense that that everything I cook and blog is definitely within their reach. That is not at all a criticism of you, but an excuse for me. 🙂

17. Tom Moertel on March 9, 2009 at 11:48

If my food photos look good, it's mainly attributable to one simple trick: get the camera low and close to the food.

Most digital cameras have small sensors, and that means they have a large depth of field that renders not only the subject in perfect clarity but also the background clutter. If you push the camera lower and closer to the food, however, you can blur out the clutter to put the focus back on your food. It's a little trick, but it makes a big difference.

18. Richard Nikoley on March 9, 2009 at 12:15

Yea, aware of the depth of field issue. I used to shoot with an SLR back in the day. I'm considering getting one again so I can open the aperture.

19. Brit on December 3, 2009 at 11:19

It looks great! Was it poached in oil or water?

• Richard Nikoley on December 3, 2009 at 11:35

“Atlantic Cod poached in a coconut milk green curry (Thai style)”