Twitter

Alright, enough already. I have caved to the general hysteria. I'll give it a go.

However, I must warn anyone who wishes to follow: this — "diarrhea of consciousness" — is not my style. I grew up on USENET and other forums where exhaustive completeness was the rule.

We'll see.

1. Diana Hsieh on March 31, 2009 at 15:20

I'm on Twitter here, periodically tweeting about food, health, fasting, etc: http://twitter.com/DianaHsieh

2. Richard Nikoley on March 31, 2009 at 16:13

I'm a following, now. Wowzers. 511 followers. Oh, you, Great One!

3. Daisy on April 1, 2009 at 02:23

I don't get it. What is twitter, isn't it just anothe blog thing like blogspot? I just joined entrecards and now starting to like it. I totally do not know what it was for up until few days ago. haha!

4. Joe Matasic on April 1, 2009 at 05:22

Same things I said on MDA. No way, trying to make life less attached to computers not let them rule every aspect of my life. I work on them all day then still usually have them on at night. I've refused to join myspace, facebook, twitter, whatever is next. All that time adds up quick. I could be reading, relaxing, outside in the sun (might be an excuse if I used a smartphone since I would be getting D) OR even catching up on my sleep.

Hopefully you're keeping the blog up. Maybe I just don't get it? Funny, because I'm a computer geek for a living.

5. Dr Dan on April 1, 2009 at 00:33

Hmmmm. Interesting. I was also thinking of doing it.

6. Dr Dan on April 1, 2009 at 01:00
  7. Tom Stone on April 1, 2009 at 05:44

My wife and I enjoy your blog. We went low-carb/paleo last August and are seeing great results.

And I'm glad to see you giving Twitter a try. I was going to rec that you follow DianaHsieh, but I see she already made contact on that! I've known her for 15 years, and get value from her tweets (which range over her many interests).

My advice for you for Twitter is this:
    1. When writing tweets, don't so much answer "What are you doing?", but rather more often answer "what are you thinking" and "what are you writing" and "what are you reading elsewhere". People will get more value from following you that way, I suspect.

2. Follow smart people, doing smart things. These can be low-carb/paleo folks who tweet in that area, but can also be smart people who tweet effectively in other areas of interest to you. Don't follow everyone who follows you — be selective, its not Facebook or LinkedIn. See what they tweet about first and choose to follow them if you think you'll get value from them.

3. Follow a few who are funny… TheOnion is a classic source for humor of course. But one I like — if you are a SW fan — that really uses Twitter effectively is darthvader… he applies quotes from DV to everyday life.

Enjoy!

ThomasStone

8. Richard Nikoley on April 1, 2009 at 08:09

You could go to the twitter site and check it out. Essentially, it's a way to do little blurbs (under 140 characters, I think) about various things. I intend to keep my "tweets" mostly about the primal or un-primal lifestyle I encounter regularly, stuff that doesn't warrant a blog post.

9. Richard Nikoley on April 1, 2009 at 11:46

Thanks, Tom. Good advice.