Vitamin K2 and Massive Reduction in Heart Disease: Leading Edge

I had wanted to do another installment of held over questions from readers this morning (sorry, folks), but I just have to get this out now. Actually, I caught wind of this a few weeks back, set it aside, forgot about it, and reader Ankit brought it to my attention in email last night.

Before I get into it, let's address something. This applies to my blog and a number of others out there. This is leading edge stuff. That is, you are learning of strong associations with resultant likely benefits now, all the while most of your friends, family, and acquaintances will scoff, dismiss, or otherwise ignore you if you bring it up; and yet, in 3-5 year's time they will think they've made a big discovery once the material is distilled and dumbed down sufficiently that the regurgitators in the news media can even begin to get it right.

Vitamin D is an example. Exploding in the news, but as yet, woefully mis-reported most of the time. I've shown through a lot of posts on D over the months that it's about the level of 25 (OH) D in ng/ml in your blood that counts, and it's not so much about sunshine or foods you eat. Yet, while the news is awash in study after study, the ignoramuses continue to talk about 200-400 IU supplementation per day, drinking your fortified milk, and getting that "15 minutes in the sun." It's useless garbage, and it's giving people false hope and security. Listen: if your level of 25 (OH) D is under 30 ng/ml, as it is for about a third of people, then you are at twice the risk of cancer as a smoker. Moreover, to really achieve benefits, you need to be over 60 ng/ml (only about 7.5% of people are) and it's very unlikely you're going to get there without significant supplementation >2,000 IU per day, minimum (I take 6k; so does my dad, and his level just came back at 73 — sweet spot).

It is a different world, folks. I have no qualms saying it: you get far better, more accurate, more cutting edge health and fitness information here (and other blogs — see the left sidebar) than you can get in every single mainstream news outlet in the word: put together. Let me be frank: they are useless, ignorant, know-nothings and the few exceptions that exist are attributable exclusively to individuals (Gary Taubes, as the world's best science journalist, for example).

If you are relying on the local paper, Newsweek, the local and national network news, or Oprah, for valid health and fitness information, you might as well just go read Mother Goose. It is that bad. What's the difference? Well, for one, I and my fellow bloggers resect your intelligence. Second, we actually dig up the actual studies, read them, interpret them, know bullshit manipulation of statistics when we see it, know conflicts of interest when we see them, can track related things coming together, synergies, integrations, and we can distill it all for our intelligent individual readers because we don't consider them to be collective herds of stupid cattle and sheep, as the mainstream does.

Finally, compare the results of the people who email results that I highlight here, and who comment (many of them highly educated; some PhDs, MDs, and so on), and compare that to the explosion of diabetes and obesity in America and worldwide. That's because those people are getting their information from the health / fitness veridic equivalent of Dr. Seuss.

[/soapbox]

So, here's the deal: A high menaquinone intake reduces the incidence of coronary heart disease. (Press releases here, here, here). Well, there are significant questions, but the bottom line?

For every increase of 10 micrograms in the amount of vitamin K2 consumed daily, the risk of developing coronary heart disease (CHD) drops by 9 percent. This somewhat stunning statistic was noted as a result of a recent cohort study from the Netherlands evaluating the dietary vitamin K intakes of 16,057 post-menopausal women and their association with the incidence of CHD.

The chief question stems from the finding that it was the longer chain menaquinones (K2; MK-n) 7, 8, and 9 that provided the benefit. Readers know that I've been blogging about menatetrenone (K2; MK-4) for quite a while. However, it should be noted that this was a study that gaged the coronary heart disease incidence of women over eight years while analyzing their diets specifically for K2 content, coming up with the finding that more K2 was associated with (not caused — that must be determined by intervention study where K2 supplementation is set up against placebo) less coronary heart disease. In other words, this is plenty to justify more research — like an intervention trial — but it does not tell us whether other variables may have been in play, i.e., the same people who eat lots of stuff high in K2 also tend to do x, y, and z, and it turns out that those are the more causal factors. Unlikely, in my view, but that's how science is done.

Now, with reference to the soapbox I just stepped down from, let me show you a real world example of the crap reporting that goes on, and even by means of quotes from lead authors of studies. This, my dear readers, is a perfect storm of illogic. Go ahead and test yourself and read it before continuing. Let's see if you catch it.

Did you? Well, here, let me give you a hint: other than natto — which I doubt is consumed by post-menopausal Dutch women in great quantity, if at all — the chief dietary source of the longer chain K2 vitamins is hard & soft fermented cheeses (high in "artery clogging" saturated fats). Now do you get it? These researchers may have unwittingly done us a big favor, because if it turns out that long-chain K2s are actually causal for massive (9% per 10 micrograms) reduction coronary heart disease, then they will have shown that those who eat the most "artery clogging" cheese have less clogged arteries.

So, how did the article put it?

“Our findings may have important practical implications on CVD prevention, it is important to mention that in order to increase the intake of vitamin K2, increasing the portion vitamin K2 rich foods in daily life might not be a good idea,” wrote lead author Gerrie-Cor Gast from the Julius Center for Health Sciences and Primary Care at the University Medical Center Utrecht.

“Vitamin K2 might be, for instance more relevant in the form of a supplement or in low-fat dairy.”

As Dr. Eades would say, "Jesus wept." So, what that idiotic quote means is that, while K2 intake was largely a function of cheese intake (you don't get it much place else, except natto, as noted), and while those who ate the most cheese had the least coronary heart disease, don't eat the stuff. It should also be noted that the K2 they are talking about, every microgram of it, is contained in the fat. So, of course, get it from low-fat dairy. Unbelievable.

Yea, well, here's what the study did do, and you can take it to the bank: it once again falsified the hypothesis that saturated fats have anything to do with heart disease. Even better: it likely showed (I'm guessing, as I don't know the diets of those who had more heart disease, but it's safe to assume that people with high saturated fat intake get lots of it from cheese) that the more saturated fat, the less heart disease. Another thought: they may have actually discovered the real source of "The French Paradox." I lived in France. Gorged on the world's best cheeses daily. So did lots of people.

Here's why I suspect this is exactly the case: they made no mention in general of macronutrient ratios or saturated fat in particular (at least in the press releases) and, even more compelling: had the protective benefit come from a low fat & low saturated-fat diet, it would have been screamed across every newspaper headline in the world.

Alright, so what about MK-4, the stuff I supplement with? Well, I suspect (guessing again, as we don't have the text of the study) that there was simply not enough MK-4 in the makeup of their diets to claim any statistical significance. It's tough to get Mk-4. There's a bit in egg yolks and trace in meats, but most is to be found in organ meats, marrow, brain, and fish eggs. It's also in the butter fat of ruminators, but only when grass fed. These are all foods that have gone out of vogue for modern industrial populations.

But there are clues. Read my post from back in November where I called attention to Stephan's work concerning the prevention of cardiovascular disease. But that's not all. MK-4 has also been found to reverse cardiovascular disease in rats.

So, my personal approach would be to supplement with MK-4 (unless you eat a lot of organ meats or have good sources for grass fed butter and trust it) and to get in some good French cheeses now and then. MK-4 doesn't hang around in your blood very long, but the longer chains do.

Later: Stephan now has a review of the full text up, which is naturally essential reading.

1. Marc Feel Good Eating on March 4, 2009 at 14:08

YEAY!!!!!
    Great post Richard.

Marc

2. Robert M. on March 4, 2009 at 14:53

Wow there's no figures in that paper, only tables, how strange. They did not provide the raw data on the incidence of heart disease either, aside from noting that 480 women had a CHD event over the course of the study.

The drop in hypercholesterolemia (high blood cholesterol) was radical, from 260 to 130 (out of 4014 and 4011 patients respectively) from the bottom K2 quartile to the top K2-consumption quartile. So yes, once again, a diet high in saturated fats gives a better lipid profile, totally contrary to the common wisdom regarding cholesteral.

Interesting quote, "Prevalence of hypertension, hypercholesterolemia and diabetes was more common among women with a high vitamin K1 intake compared to those with a low vitamin K1 intake. Intake of vitamins from fruits and vegetables, such as vitamin C and folic acid, were higher in the women with high vitamin K1 intake (data available on request)." I don't know why they didn't publish that. Maybe they submitted it as a separate paper to another journal.

The entire cohort of the study had an average K2 intake of 29.1 ug/day with a standard deviation of 12.8 ug/day. Cheese was 54 % of K2 intake, milk another 22 %.

Looking at Table 2 there definitely WAS an increase in diabetes with increasing K2 consumption. Speculating, it could be the milk sugars. Diabetes incidence went from 88 +/- 2.2 in the bottom K2 quartile to 131 +/- 3.3 in the top K2 quartile. That's still a far lower level of incidence than the US, less than half actually.

Calcium intake also increased a lot across the cohorts as K2 consumption increased. Calcium intake didn't have any impact on heart disease, however.

For those of us allergic to casein protein: ghee is an awesome cooking oil. I make it 2 lbs. at a time; it reduces down to about ~ 700 mL after removing the water and milk solids.

3. Patrik on March 4, 2009 at 17:11

@Richard

What do you supplement Vitamin D with?

4. Arnoud Lobbezoo on March 4, 2009 at 18:08

Following Dr. Davis (Heart Scan Blog) recommnedatios, I have been making sure to get my Vitamin D and K2 in adequate quantities (along with Paleo style diet)

Results:
    Vit D: 70 – 80
    Heart Scan Score: Zero
    HDL: 66 mg/dl
    LDL: 187 mg/dl
    Trigl: 56 mg/dl

Sadly this knowledge arrived to late for my father.
    He used to love farmer's cheese (Gouda) made from raw milk, grass fed cattle), but his doctor kept saying: your cholesteral is not good. Cut out the fat. Cut out the cheese. Take a statin.
    He did. After a first heart attack during a cold February winter day (low vitamin D status), he worked even harder to comply with his doctor's direction: no more cheese (and along with it: no more K2).

Four years later he had his fatal heart attack. In February.
    Coincidence? I think not.
    It will not be long before the evidence will be sufficiently strong for statinator-doctors (recommanding low fat – high fiber diets)to find themselves in court.

Arnoud
    Arnoud

5. Arnoud Lobbezoo on March 4, 2009 at 18:44

Richard,

sadly, you are absolutely right. The medical profession follows the "established standard of care." Some because it shields them from law suits, some, because it allows them to practice medicine with their brains turned off, some because they just don't know better – they are well-meaning, following the dogma they were taught.

However slowly, the tide will turn though, as we are seeing it now turning quickly in Sweden – after some high profile, controversial, well-published battles with the medical establishment.

6. Justin on March 4, 2009 at 20:38

Thank you for this post. I'm going to go out tomorrow to get some K2. What kinds of cheeses would you recommend?

7. Richard Nikoley on March 4, 2009 at 17:40

I use the Carlson mini-gel-caps (size of a raindrop), 2k IU each. I take three per day, 5 days per week (none on my two fasting days).

120 caps is about 8 bucks, and likely more valuable than a host of pharmaceuticals that aim to ameliorate conditions that are ultimately the result of endemic D deficiency.

BTW, I just got my DAction (see post from a few days back) kit in the mail and am sending it off. Should know my levels in a couple of weeks.

8. Richard Nikoley on March 4, 2009 at 18:21

Sadly, Arnoud — and very, very sorry for your loss — I doubt it. See, there's a LOT of cowards out there — 99% are abject cowards that place their careers and livelihoods above patient well being, and in fact, don't want to know the truth. They are licensed to dispense handed down dogma. They know very well that the best defense is to claim they were following "established dietary and intervention (drug) guidelines." To the letter. Very few are willing — like Dr. Davis — to put themselves in peril.

The reality is that Dr. Davis is at FAR greater risk, and his heroism in this regard cannot be understated. All he needs is for one outlier, random event, the deceased family sues, and Davis defense is, what? That he's smarter than the medical establishment and 99% of all other cardiologists (he is)? He can parade a million successes in front of the courts and it matters not. He went against the catechism, and he'll be burned at the stake.

The bright spot is that reality asserts itself over time. It's a slow process, because most men are too cowardly and invested in the status quo to make it go any faster.

9. animal pharm on March 4, 2009 at 20:52

Richard —
    Your ability to see things so lucidly and unbiased continues to astound me with each post!!! Even your spectacular animal nutrition posts! Though you boast about Dr. Davis heroicism — I found you to be my hero 🙂

Keep up the strong work — people like you truly turn the tide by the thousands and millions like Dr. Davis — blog post by controversial blog post!!!

Arnoud —
    I am so sorry to hear about your tragic loss (in the month of Feb). My sisters and I lost our mother this month as well (fatal car accident ~30 yrs ago) and it is never easy this time of year.
    I cannot tell you how frequently now when I look at a 40-60 yr old individual's lab tests and I see a precipitious drop in the HDLs and concomitant rise in TGs after starting conventional chol recommendations:
    1. statin
    2. low fat/cholesterol/saturated fatty acids diet

And they often will complain they don't feel as energetic as before and have weight gain (wtf is what they are secretly really questioning since they're doing 'all the right things' as directed as the provider Rx'd).

Someday t-h-i-s will be 'malpractice.'

When…???

When heart scans and NMR/VAP labs are standard medical care and the 'old guard' are gone/extinct. Dr. Davis predicts it will take one ENTIRE generation for this to occur. With the pace of things going as they are — perhaps he might be… ?wrong (for once… *haa ha*)? I'm very grateful for the internet and my buddies here, for they provide all the self-education I need to make decisions for myself and my village. 🙂

Thanks,
    G

10. Joe Matasic on March 5, 2009 at 05:23

Great post. Another one to save. Question though about your response to a comment. I just started IF, actually fasting today. I bought Eat Stop Eat this week, so its in the list to read but haven't yet. Why do you not take Vit D on fasting days? Do you skip all vitamins on fasting days?

BTW I take 5000IU soft gels of D3 from NOW twice daily. When out in the summer (Tampa) I only take one, but I'm going to do the test and see what the levels actually are. I get them 120 for less than $9. Its the best deal I've seen.

Joe

11. Debbie on March 5, 2009 at 09:38

Okay, I admit it. I've been a cheese-oholic my whole life. Years back I used to have a roommate who joked that I would probably starve to death if cheese ever vanished from the earth. 🙂

But for years cheese was always something that seemed like a "guilty pleasure" and I was always told I needed to cut back on cheese, and I would be killing myself with it – but I could never give it up, even back in the 80's when I did my best to stick to an ultra-low-fat diet (gack). But even then I had to sneak in my cheese.

Now, finally, I feel I'm being vindicated. All those years I was *protecting* myself! I try to eat a pretty natural diet, but I also supplement with the stuff I consider really important. I take 5000 IU of D3 gelcaps for example. I also take a K2 supplement from Life Extensions that includes both MK-4 and MK-7.

But I still eat my cheese too. Just a couple weeks ago I found some great New Zealand cheddar from grass-fed cows at Trader Joe's. It may be time to go up and restock!

12. Justin on March 5, 2009 at 15:51

Thanks, Richard;
    I bought some Feta and Gorgonzola today to spread over my salads. I've always loved cheese. I initially balked when I found out that dairy was not allowed on the Paleo diet. This just makes it that much easier.

-Justin

13. Richard Nikoley on March 5, 2009 at 08:23

I'll have that up in an entry on supplementation today.

14. Richard Nikoley on March 5, 2009 at 08:42

Joe,

I don't take any supplements while fasting because they contain significant calories, as the soft gels are in oil. I'm taking 5 grams per day of fish oil / CLO (3/2), the K2 (which would probably be insignificant in the Thorne product I'm now taking — one drop; 1 mg). Then there's the D, which might be 500 mg total, so we're looking at around 50 calories, probably enough to shut down fat burning. What I do, however, is take the sups with my last meal, then take 'em again on my break fast meal.

15. jo on March 5, 2009 at 08:53

Hi Richard, off topic but I came across an interesting study about the difference between males and females when it comes to intermittent fasting. Don't know how to post pretty links so,

I have seem one or two qestions from other women about fasting. I know that I personally get the shakes which doesn't work for me as a painter.

16. Richard Nikoley on March 5, 2009 at 09:04

Jo, yea I saw that just this morning on Matt's site. Haven't looked at the actual link yet, but I will. Thanks.

17. Richard Nikoley on March 5, 2009 at 10:08
  18. Richard Nikoley on March 5, 2009 at 14:57

Here's a quote from Dr. Davis I dug up:

How can you tell the difference between fermented and non-fermented cheese? First, look for the holes in the cheese. The holes are the remnants of gas pockets created during fermentation. Second, look for the word " cultures " on the label, meaning organisms for fermentation were added. If "processed cheese" is anywhere on the label, this is a dairy product that has been chemically coagulated and is not fermented.

Fermented cheeses are generally "gourmet" cheeses, not eaten a pound at a time on a pizza, but meant to be eaten in small portions.

How much fermented cheese is necessary for its presumed inhibitory benefits on coronary calcification and osteoporsis? Are some fermented cheeses better than others? These issues remain unsettled. Stay tuned.

19. Marc Feel Good Eating on March 6, 2009 at 05:15

Richard,
    I linked to this post today, cause I still can't get over how good it is!!!

One more question. The D3 I take is from Solgar. they are gel caps. They have a let of naturally occuring vitmain A from fish oil. Ok or not ok?
    Thanks again and have a great weekend.

Marc

20. Richard Nikoley on March 6, 2009 at 08:28

How much A? The reason I take the Carlson high potency CLO is that the level of A is pretty modest in comparison to D, while there are many products out there with very high levels of A and only modest D. Also, I can get it at the local Vitamin Shoppe and don't have to order it — as well the mini-gel caps I use. How much you want to supplement with A really depends on how much you get from food…

…so if you eat a lot of liver, or of the vegetables on that list, you don't need ant A supplementation. But, if you're eating meat (other than organ) and fat, then it may be a good idea in my opinion.

• Alice Jarosz on August 13, 2010 at 10:55

I just run into this post. You need to be aware that Vitamin A antagonizes calcium response to vitamin D – about one serving of liver antagonizes the rapid intestinal calcium response to physiological levels of vitamin D in man:

So there is not a good idea to take vitamin A as a supplement.
      I take Isotonic form of Vitamin K2 (45 mcg M-7)and D3 (5000 UI, 1000 UI in Canada), absorption rate is so much better than any pill (20%-60% versus 100%) and it is available from my website.

• Richard Nikoley on August 18, 2010 at 18:15

Alice:

I’ve looked onto it extensively and consulted with paleo oriented MDs and PhDs, and I see no reason to worry about A, at least not from food. But I think CLO ought to be taken in moderation. I take a gram a day.

• Alice Jarosz on August 19, 2010 at 06:39

I highly recommend that you read Dr. Cannell’s article about this latest BMJ study. He explains quite well how even the researchers themselves seem to have missed this crucial connection between Vitamin A intake and Vitamin D:

“Dr. Mazda Jenab and his 45 colleagues from the International Agency for Research on Cancer confirmed that low vitamin D levels are a risk for colon cancer in a dose response manner; those with the highest levels were about twice as less likely to develop colon cancer compared to those with the highest levels.

However, hidden on page eight is one sentence and a small table, which shows that the benefits of vitamin D are almost entirely negated in those with the highest vitamin A intake. And the retinol intake did not have to be that high in these older adults to begin to negate vitamin D’s effects, about 3,000 IU/day. Young autistic children often take 3,500 IU of retinol a day in their powdered multivitamins. This is the largest study to date showing vitamin A blocks vitamin D’s effect and explains some of the anomalies in other papers on vitamin D and cancer.”

“It’s highly unfortunate, but many people in developed countries are potentially sabotaging the multitude of health benefits they could receive from adequate vitamin D by taking excessive amounts of vitamin A, either in the form of multi-vitamins or cod liver oil. there is evidence that without vitamin D, vitamin A can be ineffective or even toxic. But if you’re deficient in vitamin A, vitamin D cannot function properly either.
      So proper balance of these two vitamins is essential. Too much or too little of either may create negative consequences
      It is the retinoic acid (retinol) form of vitamin A that is problematic. Not beta carotene.”

• Richard Nikoley on August 19, 2010 at 09:33

Alice:

I indeed saw that when it came out.

I don’t buy it. I consider it highly unlikely that a species so successful in terms of its millions of years of evolution would have evolved such a sensitive balance in terms of critical nutrients as A and D.

This would mean that hunter gatherers consuming even moderate amounts of liver (nature’s multi-vitamin) regularly would have vitamin A toxicity.

Here’s some links that may help shed additional light on this issue.

21. Richard Nikoley on March 6, 2009 at 08:43

I'm not sure "not allowed" is the right word. It may not have been consumed by Paleolithic peoples, but that, in itself, is not grounds in my view to dismiss it out of hand.

My approach is that if it's a natural food, then it's up to the individual and how well they tolerate it. That could even go for some grains and legumes, if properly prepared; as in soaked, sprouted and/or fermented. I wouldn't make them mainstays, but I can see myself making a small pot of pinto beans occasionally, soaked overnight, of course — not to mention a lot of pork fat included.

22. SimpleMan on March 7, 2009 at 23:56

Richard,

Forgot to put this in my last comment.

What's your opinion on this K2 MK-7 product?

I'm already taking the Green Pasture's High Vitamin Butter Oil but I thought I might add this as well.

23. Richard Nikoley on March 8, 2009 at 08:59

It's probably fine and I don't think will hurt at all, but it seems that it's pretty easy to get 7-9 through diet, especially fermented cheeses.

Here's a product that intereests me, as it has 1000 mcg of -4 and 100 mcg of -7 in each gel, which, given the longer time -7 sticks around is probably close to a good supplementation ratio, but I'm just guessing.

24. Diana Hsieh on March 7, 2009 at 20:59

Paul and I enjoyed a plate of fine gourmet cheeses as a dessert tonight after a lovely dinner out. It was the perfect end to our dinner. It seems so strange now, but I would have shied away from that — likely in favor of something sugary — in years past.

I really, really love cheese — and now I can be a cheese snob!

25. SimpleMan on March 7, 2009 at 23:32

Richard,

Is this the Cod Liver Oil you take?

What's your opinion on the Green Pasture's Cod Liver Oil? Vitamin A level too high?

BTW, I've been reading your blog for a couple weeks now. I stumbled accross it while on Curezone.com. I really love it! Keep up the good work!

I went Paleo on Friday and your blog has helped a lot.

26. minneapolis J on March 8, 2009 at 09:56

At first when I started eating this way I went completely antidairy. But in all honesty a bit of cheese every now and then isnt bad. Also, like crablegs dipped in butter or ribeyes garnished in butter I would go for without any problem. I think some dairy is okay, I am pretty sure Richard would agree that its okay to have in moderate amounts as flavor enhancor.

27. Richard Nikoley on March 8, 2009 at 08:40

American have generally no idea how the French take their cheese. Many times I've served up a plate of nice, ripe French cheeses to guests at dinner parties and they almost universally take an entire slice of bread and spread the cheese thinly on top.

The way the French do it is, first, they slice their baguettes about 1 1/2 inch thick, Then, they tear off a piece of crust so they end up with a square of crust. To that, they'll often — but not always — lay on a pat of sweet butter a good 1/4" thick, and then a huge gob of cheese. So, if they even eat the whole piece of bread, by the time the're finished that can have used it to consume a 1/4 cube of butter and a half block of cheese.

It's so "paradoxical." 🙂

28. Richard Nikoley on March 8, 2009 at 08:52

Yea, that's the one and I take 2 per day, so only 4k IU of A. I disregard the D because I take their mini gelcaps for that. So many products are way overblown with A. I've seen as much as 10K IU per gelcap.

29. Richard Nikoley on March 8, 2009 at 08:55

Oh…I haven't looked too much at the Green Pastures product, and I think they have a regular one and a fermented one, but yea, a lot of A compared to D would be my concern. I take CLO primarily for the EPA and DHA. A should be easy to get from food, especially if you cook up some liver every week or two.

30. Richard Nikoley on March 8, 2009 at 10:03

And besides, I think butter, cream and cheeses are way ahead of milk in terms of lactose, as well perhaps as some of the allergens.

31. Debbie on March 9, 2009 at 09:43

*** Debbie: Is this the one?

http://www.lef.org/Vitamins-Supplements/Item01280/Super-Booster-Softgels-with-Advanced-K2-Complex.html ***

Without having the bottle handy I do think that's the one. I could not find K2 locally in any of the stores I checked, so checked online. And that was the first one I came across that even broke down the MK-4 and MK-4 amounts. All the others I'd looked at just said 'K2' without specifying what sort. So I went with that one and just stuck with it. 🙂

32. Michael Bender on March 30, 2009 at 12:18

Largely because of this blog and its many links I recently started supplementing with K2 (Life Extension Super K. The results have been amazing. Rarely do supplements provide immediate noticeable benefits but this one does.

For me the impact on my teeth. I have been told by my dentist that I have somewhat porous teeth that tend to hold onto food and bacteria. I have always had trouble with cavities despite nearly obsessive efforts at brushing, flossing and special rinses. After just two weeks of K2 supplementation all signs of placque have completely disappeared – most notably from the back of the bottom front teeth, which is a problem spot for most people.

I have one small "almost" cavity that I am keeping an eye on. It is due for a filling in July. I will keep the blog posted if anything awesome happens and it is able to repair itself.

I haven't experienced any noticeable changes in my skin as others report but the dental benefits are more than enough for me.

33. Richard Nikoley on March 30, 2009 at 12:21

Good news, Michael. You'll definitely want to check out Stephan's latest:

34. Kia Ren on November 13, 2009 at 12:14

Pathology.org is awarding you as top resource and if you would like to get the banner, please email me back with the subject line as your URL to avoid Spam and also to make sure that you only get the banner.

35. Johngo on December 16, 2011 at 04:03

I was reading somewhere that K2 is produced by the body if vitamin K1 is present. It is interesting that you recommend eating meat as a source for k2. Wouldn’t it be healthier to consume vegetables high in k1 and let the body produce the k2 if that is the case.

Also, did you watch the film “forks over knives”. What do you think about some of the research.