A Good Doc

First: Kudos out to frequent commenter "Paleo Newbe" MD, who continues to brave the [some] abuse, here. He has the difficult balancing act of being a rational doc, but also keeping his license. To my mind, this sort of thing needs to be encouraged. I salute him.

The reason for that, above, is to highlight the good work of my mom's doc, as differentiated from the advice nurse.

The doctor is very pleased with my progress. He believes the problem is the Metformin. He kind of got after me for not contacting him sooner, when I started vomiting every day.

Anyway, I was taking 1,000 MG of Metforin in the morning and another 1,000 at night. He wants me to cut that in half and he wants me off it as soon as possible, but wants me to lose another 15 to 20 pounds. So that's my current goal.

I am going to try fasting, now. He thinks it's very good that I'm off the heart-burn meds, and the cholesterol meds.

He cut my blood pressure med in half. He believes that my blood pressure is weight related, so when I lose some more weight, we will try taking that away too.  He will also change my prescription to the natural thyroid (Armour). He said he will also order the lipid test that Richard wants me to have.

Take responsibility for your own health, accumulate the knowledge Google provides you, and go forth. Any honest doctor will tell you: unless you have something really weird, it's not that hard.

I'll add: a paleo-like diet will give you a step up.

1. Joe Matasic on April 16, 2009 at 04:57

Glad to see it. I believe my blood pressure is weight related also. I just need to lose some more weight so I can get off these last blood pressure pills myself. They've already been cut in half, but I want to get rid of them all. Just need to break this plateau. IF might be doing it, we'll see. Other than that might need to up the fat content. Guessing game for me.

2. Dane Miller on April 16, 2009 at 06:38

Indeed, eat healthy, exercise and enjoy life. These things will lead to a good healthy existence and hopefully independence from medicine.

3. Dave, RN on April 16, 2009 at 13:43

Kudo's to the doc for moving towards getting her off the meds. When I told my dos that I was eating more fat and eliminated grain, she just rolled her eyes.
    I just ordered the movie "Fathead" off Amazon. Can't wait to see it. I think everyone here would enjoy it. It's about the lipid hypothesis and how it all started with the manipulated Ansel Keys study…

4. Paleo Newbie on April 16, 2009 at 15:55

Thanks for the shout out! Im 13 lbs down, 15 to go.

5. Pam Maltzman on April 16, 2009 at 16:17

1,000 mg twice per day of metformin is a pretty high dose. The vomiting is no fun. Haven't had that as a side effect; I mostly have to watch out for gut cramps and diarrhea.

But I wouldn't mind at all getting off the stuff when my weight starts going down.

6. Pam Maltzman on April 16, 2009 at 16:18

The balancing act for doctors sounds like it's no fun. Can't seem to be too radical or they'll take your license away, even if you're doing the right thing for your patients.

7. Paleo Newbie on April 16, 2009 at 17:51

They can't take your license but your license may not get renewed if you have lawsuits,adverse events…

Promoting low carb is really not an issue, most new grads know the benefits. On the other hand, hearing a doc promoting 65% sat fat? That is unheard of and will quickly get you kicked out of the locker room. Your up against all media, big pharm, AHA, ADA and on and on. I'm on the fence and probably will never eat that much but I won't scold anyone if they do along with a low carb diet.

8. Richard Nikoley on April 16, 2009 at 14:00

It's great. Have watched it twice and will again.

9. Richard Nikoley on April 17, 2009 at 03:25

Yes, a 65% fat diet (30-40% would typically be sat fat, unless it's all coconut fat you're eating) is of necessity low carb if it's a natural diet.

I agree that a high fat diet in the presence of high carb — which would typically be from sugar — is not a god idea, but then, the reason is the sugar, not the fat.