Big Chunk of Grilled Meat

Here was dinner the first night, at Little Rhein Steakhouse. Established in 1967, I highly recommend it. Here's the lineup.

Beefsteak tomato salad, which Bea & I split.

IMG_0159

I had the ribeye, and it was among the best ever.

IMG_0160

And we split a baked potato, improving it with lots of butter, sour cream, and bacon.

IMG_0162

1. PJ Vallier on April 16, 2009 at 11:35

I'm Digging that ribeye. Mmmmm

2. Skyler Tanner on April 16, 2009 at 15:19

I am constantly staggered at the quality of meat in Texas for the price. I've been visiting family in Arizona and the price difference for the quality, even at places with great prices like Trader Joes, is unreal.

3. Pam Maltzman on April 16, 2009 at 16:13

Skyler, are you saying that Arizona also has good quality meat for the price? Because we're tentatively fixing to move there by the end of 2010, and that would be one more thing to look forward to.

Have only eaten steak twice in Texas, both times were at the Big Texan Steakhouse in Amarillo, and it was great.

If Texas secedes, that'd be a great reason to go there instead (but to a slightly less humid region).

4. Skyler Tanner on April 16, 2009 at 16:20

I'm sorry Pam, I should have clarified that the quality of meat is better in Texas. I can get grassfed hamburger from my local farmer's market for $4.80/lb, which is nearly what trader joes charges for their standard hamburger.

I guess we're spoiled by HEB.

5. Doug McGuff on April 17, 2009 at 13:26

Richard,

I grew up in San Antonio. If you are going to have Mexican food in the downtown area, I would recommend either La Margarita or Mi Tierra in the La Villita area. The both have a mixed fajita plate that contains chorizo. Discard the tortillas and avoid the chips and you are in paleo heaven.

The Little Rhein is hard to beat. If you venture out of downtown, try the San Francisco Steak House on San Pedro ave (Hwy 281). For BBQ, go with the County Line…I think there may be one on the river walk now.

No matter where you eat, be sure and order a Shiner Bock beer.

Doug McGuff

6. Todd on April 17, 2009 at 09:18

Richard, I love the blog. I've been a regular since you posted recently on the Track Your Plaque forums. So this is a first post because I just can't let you get out of Texas without recommending you make the trip to Lockhart for barbeque. Central Texas bbq isn't sauced or covered in sugar, just slow smoked for hours and it's a treat not to be missed. It's influenced by the German and Czech heritage of the area. Lockhart will be about a 35-40 minute drive from New Braunfels.

7. James on April 17, 2009 at 17:38

Richard,

While all looks amazing, I'm really curious about the dressing on the salad. Looks like something I'd like to whip up for my own.

Next time your down this way visiting your brother (Houston, I think.) Give me a shout and I'll do up a nice brisket on the grill. Guaranteed better than anything you'll find in a restaurant.

Enjoy the trip!

8. Richard Nikoley on April 19, 2009 at 05:26

Thanks. Unfortunately didn't make it up there, bit we'll be back.

9. Amy Wagner on April 23, 2009 at 03:44

Wow that food looks awesome and it is making my mouth water as it is now lunch time here, thanks for sharing and making us all hungry.

10. Julie on April 29, 2009 at 05:45

I'd also like to know more about the dressing on the beefsteak tomato salad. Looks delish.
    Your blog is great.

11. Richard Nikoley on April 29, 2009 at 06:43

As I recall, it was a French style vinaigrette (a little dijon mustard to go with the olive oil and vinegar), and then blue cheese.