World Paleo Domination – Part 2

Part 1

TV (and in general: video) can't be overlooked. The Internet is huge and growing — I've been on it since before you could read every website that existed (under 300) — and will someday surely eclipse television as the primary mode of information dissemination (it already has, amongst people with a true clue: you!).

The health, fitness, and diet industry is huge and homogenized. There are — and have been for years — people promoting health, fitness, and diet products and services via TV with only minor changes from the last promotion — and they make millions! Is that a good idea? It just is, and rule number one is to deal with the reality we've been dealt. Yea, changing it is a worthy goal, but you're more likely to do that by getting in the game.

Here's another reality: be perceived as an expert, guru…whatever, or perish at the hands of those who know how to get people to place an order. Here's what I think about "gurus," but, as a top-marketeer who I've been consulting with for months told me: you're going to be perceived as a guru whether you like it or not. And so are some of you other bloggers out there, or you're well on your way to that status. Do I like that? Unequivocally No. Is it probably true? Yes. Does explicitly going against that tide harm or help your effort? It probably harms it, because there's always someone ready to be the guru and exploit it.

So this is uncomfortable for me, and has been the chief obstacle to making something happen. It's very much outside my comfort zone, and if I am to use the notion of guru, then my preference is to make of everyone their own independent guru. I want everyone to be their own authority.

All that said in order to deliver the big positive: We can undercut all the rest. The paleo, Primal, EvFit lifestyle works. It works for everyone, every time, so long as people are willing to turn to a more natural mode of survival.

Just a minor market share can provide rapid revenue, along with the great personal satisfaction I crave by bringing this information into a more public airing, into the mainstream, witnessing people getting their health and longevity back. It'd be in the local market. I would quickly position myself as an authority in this area. Nothing else does it better or quicker! Once some authority has been established publicly, by the perverse means of having TV producers do that for you, the impact on the business end will be phenomenal. There will be interviews, lifestyle and dieting editors calling, and so on. Things will take off.

I'm going to make this installment short, because I want to focus on the power of television. It is essential. I had intended to cover several topics, but I'll instead cover them in Part 3. I'll close by quoting a comment from Aaron in Part 1. This is why your input is so critical. While this was already drafted in rough when that comment came in this morning, I had not thought of the comedic aspect.

If I took a shot in the dark about how to convince the mainstream masses that a paleo diet / lifestyle promotes perhaps the best health, then I think a cable-TV comedy show like "The Daily Show" would work better than books, websites, blogs, etc. These other outlets are great and necessary complements to a successful and stimulating and gut-splitting cable TV show, but the TV show is what keeps 'em coming back and spreads the gospel by word-of-mouth. Your angle has to be to make it about the evils (intended and otherwise) big pharma companies, the AMA and other government bodies, and the commercial food industry. You need to make fun of them in that sarcastic, yet oh-so-humorous way that John Stewart does and then offer the paleo approach (with the evidence to back it up–such as from your blog, Hyperlipid, Stephan's Whole Health Source, etc.) as the "like, duh, of course" alternative. In fact, you could bring proponents from both camps onto the show and roast the big pharma / empire AMA types but give special, fun, and entertaining roles to the paleo guests.

That, IMHO, is how you'd get mainstream America on board.

I was quite excited to read this, because my thinking has been more confined to just the business end of raising the money to get on (local) TV in the first place. I hadn't given much thought to what kind of format and I think this is an excellent idea.

1. Patrik on April 9, 2009 at 16:59

The problem in promoting Paleo is manifold, but let's isolate a few key components:

1) To many people, it is plain "weird". "

Why would you eat like a "caveman"?" Insert loud guffaw here. Cue everyone in room laughing at me. Note: I am the only one in room w/o inflammation and close to any sort of fitness.

2) It bucks conventional received "wisdom".

"Bread is totally healthy. The government says so."

"You eat saturated fat? Don't you know that will kill you?" says the doctor who doesn't look terribly healthy.

3) Simple cognitive dissonance and obstinence.

"I can't eat carbs. But I love carbs and cannot imagine my life without them even if it did make me healthier"

Multiple people have spontaneously complimented me on my transformation, and asked how I did it. But all are turned off when I begin to describe the theoretical underpinnings.

Oh well.

2. Patrik on April 9, 2009 at 17:21

You've described what makes it the most fun. I have always bucked convention. It's a lifelong pursuit. This is totally a fit, for me.

Me too. I couldn't agree more. I wish you luck.

BTW here is hoping you don't get crazy like Art de Vany. 🙂

I know you won't. I also think your blog has passed his blog by. Your blog is more consistent in logic and argumentation, and also more open to new thought. Plus the Art Hero Worship (encouraged by him) really got to me.

I liked his blog when it was open, but when that stupid brouhaha erupted and he started attacking his readers, including me, I was blown away and decided not to pay $25/year.

He deleted several of my comments that respectfully disagreed with and challenged him. I took that as a sign of his at times insufferable egoism.

3. Richard Nikoley on April 9, 2009 at 17:03

Patrick:

When done right, people will follow and they'll think they came up with the idea. I've seen it all my life as I've observed various people adopt various "insane" things.

If people only followed convention, nothing would ever change. It is, in fact, the people throughout history who have loudly bucked convention that things change.

This must be done. I'm going to do it.

4. Murray on April 10, 2009 at 08:35

I was one of those that thought cutting grains and sugars out of my diet was extreme. I think it took me about a year of trying to make the zone work before I realized eating primally takes much less effort and is even more delicious.

Richard, you just need to get on Oprah and you'll start the next diet revolution. Kind of kidding, but kind of not. Unfortunately most people don't examine the facts for themselves before forming an opinion. If they have validation from someone they know and trust they will be more open to adopting a "radical" new lifestyle.

That said, you already have credibility just from your own transformation after adopting the lifestyle.

5. Skyler Tanner on April 10, 2009 at 10:44

My reasons for eating paleo are clear as day on my website, but I just had a run in with an RN saying the same nonsense, such as he saw a guy on a high protein diet turn yellow and die. But he hit a nail that I think is rather telling: "But in order to be registered in the state of Arizona…"

6. Aaron Blaisdell on April 10, 2009 at 12:06

Richard, I'm glad you think my approach has potential. I really want to see your success in this because it's probably one of the most critical issues modern civilization is currently facing. I have two daughters, the older one is three years old, and I've been fighting an uphill battle to change her eating habits away from modern carb-heavy and towards a more paleo diet. It's tough! Her favorite foods are: goldfish crackers, pretzels, chocolate, cereal, pasta, and ice cream. I have been able to get her to eat much less of those things and eat more of eggs and cheese. Before turning 3 she already had two cavities. In her last checkup (after the diet shift) she had none. I surreptitiously put high-vitamin butter oil, HV cod-liver oil, and vitamin D and K2 drops into her foods. I don't let her see me doing that or else she won't eat the food. I don't let her mother see it since her mother still thinks this whole paleo thing I'm trying is untested compared to conventional wisdom promoted by the evil empire. She's Chinese, so I'm sure her confucian trust in authority is the source of her conservatism.

Anything to break this domination the authorities (evil empire) hold over the vast majority will be a good thing IMHO.

7. Richard Nikoley on April 10, 2009 at 08:45

Patrik:

Well, I'm not going to say anything contra Art, but let's just say that I am glad for the business approach I'm taking.

8. James on April 11, 2009 at 00:56

As an addition to the comic angle, if I had the skill I would do a paleo/high fat comic strip. The satire and density of ideas you see in things like dilbert or jesusandmo.net would be ideal for the academic content and ridicule needed to make it work. I'd call it Fathead but Tom Naughton got there first.

9. Patrik on April 11, 2009 at 12:18

@Aaron Blaisdell

I share your plight when it comes to family members' opinions of Paleo-ing.

Speaking of which, this is why the government should stay the hell out of "nutrition" and diet recommendations e.g. FDA recommended allowance etc etc.

It is the government that has created the low-fat mis-information cascade that has and continues to destroy many lives. Sadly, many of my friends and family (perhaps like your wife) continue to implicitly fall victim to the fallacy of ad verecundiam and ad populum.

I get the following a lot:

"The Government Food Pyramid, government "studies" and "Everyone" say X, you and your crazy Paleo internet buddies say Y. You can't be right about this. You're a heart attack waiting to happen. blah blah blah"

Disheartening at times. BUT this blog (and others like TTP) is great. Keep up the good work Richard — like I said, I think you have surpassed Art in many ways. Cheers!

10. Richard Nikoley on April 11, 2009 at 09:33

And, Tom's great film has quite a bit of wit & sarcasm as well.

What a bunch or irreverent trend buckers we all are.

11. Tom Stone on April 11, 2009 at 09:41

See this great new video on YouTube… here is link to it with some of my own comments:

Great video, and done in a very effective style — simple, like CommonCraft videos are.

Something to consider in your endeavor here… what style to use for TV/videos/media you produce.

12. minneapolis J on April 13, 2009 at 16:28

I think the "caveman diet" or the "paleo diet" makes it sound too eccentric or backward. in reality though this diet can also be called a "modern day diet" because it includes edible food today.

It's weird, I can hardly eat the cookies, burgers, and junk for a day, wheras the other people can hardly eat whole natural food for a day. interesting trade off.

13. Hollie on February 15, 2010 at 10:24

I’m a recovering vegan who is exploring this lifestyle, and what I’ve found the most when I mention it to friends is the idea that “it isn’t sustainable”, that we don’t have enough land to graze enough cattle to make enough grass-fed healthy meat available to everyone. I don’t know if this is true or not, but on the surface it seems impossible. We have tons of land to grow soy and corn, right? Couldn’t that land also grow grass, and cattle upon it? Sustainability it something I wish more folks in the paleo movement would talk about. Not just health for us, but health for the earth.

• Richard Nikoley on February 16, 2010 at 12:57

That’s right Hollie. Rather than use land to grow grains to feed to livestock, requiring all sorts of fertilizers and causing damage to the soil, let the animals graze, building topsoil.

Lierre Keith goes into this in great detail in The Vegetarian Myth,

• Hollie on February 16, 2010 at 13:28

Oh good, I’m reading that book right now! I’ll look forward to that.