Help For a Fellow Traveller?

If I had a paid subscription, here's where I'd have you pay (in comments with your own experiences). From a comment to a previous post:

I have a question. I am married to a vegetarian, so low carb per se is not possible. Even if it wasn't in India it is quite a bit more difficult to do.

I am trying to reduce my Wheat consumption. Now down to 8 rotis (indian flat bread) per week. It is whole grain.

I am thinking of replacing a few of them with fermented flat breads (aka naan) soon.

I have also increased my butter and ghee (aka butter oil) consumption. I have also increased my meat and egg consumption.

The problem I am facing is that over the weekend when I try to go low carb, for a full day, next morning I have vertigo (not the messy one just head spinning). I guess my brain is going bonkers with no glucose. Is there any solution.

I cannot go completely low carb. And it seems that the liver will not start producing glucose just because I have not had carbs for a day. I have heard that some people need to go at it for a couple of weeks to get their liver to respond.

I could try two days of the weekend tops with low carb diet, but not anymore. Its not practical.

Do you think it is going to be beneficial to try to get into low carb, for this small duration, because I just feel dizzy, and nothing else is happening. Is it possible to get your liver to respond, without going to the long induction period. How long was your induction period?

So, any help, from your own experiences?

Here's my input.

First, I had no idea that naan was fermented. That's good, as a great garlic naan is second to none, and I might cheat with one a few times per year — with a good butter chicken or lamb curry.

As to the low carb, my chief concern is that if your health is normal, zero carb (or low) for a human being is a natural (as differentiated from normal or routine) state of affairs.

in other words, my own natural tendency is to think that, rather than there being something fundamentally wrong with low or zero carb, there's something wrong with me when, in principle, every ancestral person not living in the tropics faced that state of affairs regularly.

The ability is within us.

So, without knowing anything about the individual (his ultimate responsibility), my own personality and drive is such that I would go to the principle: this is programmed within me, and it's only the bugs that exist that are stopping me.

I'd want to conquer it. I'd just simply push through, and a fast might be the best way. If you deprive all nutrition, your body might be more amenable to kicking in gluconeogenesis to get the glucose your brain needs. have you tried a serious water-only fast for 30 hours?

Alternatively, the Atkins induction is a decent way to begin the whole ordeal. It's neither paleo nor a long term lifestyle, but it will get most people over the hump.

Here's another suggestion from a friend of mine who began this whole thing in dire straights: stay in bed for three days. Seriously. How does one define sickness? If you can't exist without carbs for a few days, aren't you sick? If so, there's no shame in just calling it what it is and bedding down for the 2-3 days needed.

To sun it up, I don't think low or zero carb is in any way a necessary long-term lifestyle unless you're in a metabolic condition (e.g., type 2) that dictates it indefinitely. I'm not necessarily low carb by Atkins standards. Some days are near zero carb, and others, between 100-200. I enjoy mixing things up, but always under the principle of Real Food (naan & rice don't count — those are rare exceptions for me). That said, I could only be slack on the carbs knowing that I could go zero indefinitely.

Obviously, this isn't advice or prescription. It's me, and I hope others take a moment or two to give you (and all the other beginners who'll read this) their perspectives.

1. Patrik on May 15, 2009 at 16:33

Hhhhhmmmmmm.

First off, I don't think substituting naan for roti is doing anything at all. Sort of like switching between snickers and jelly beans, IMHO. And, yes, naan is nominally fermented — but so what?

So are most breads.

For the record, I love naan. Most especially keema naan. But when I used to get it, like all breads/carbs, I would gorge on it.

Secondly, is this individual healthy? Such strong symptoms would seem to indicate that there might be other things going on healthwise.

2. Grok on May 15, 2009 at 16:37

I'd second fasting.

Traveling where? I know nothing about Indian food or availability, but maybe lettuce wraps to help with reducing wheat?

3. Rambodoc on May 15, 2009 at 16:56

Oh, naans are big on calories: a 10" piece of bread carries all of 550 calories and 75 grams of carbs! A prescription for disaster for someone keen to reduce calories and/or carbs. I would say our friend needs to shake up things in his/her own life. I am also an Indian. I live in a family of four other people who are entirely non-paleo. I am a surgeon by profession (bariatrics is a special interest), so not exactly blessed with oodles of free time, and I still cook virtually every meal of mine Paleo style.
    If one has the motivation, one can definitely live Paleo (even if not necessarily low carb). I add the last as fruits and dairy increases your carb numbers even if you eliminate grains and sugars. I don't share the lactose intolerance concerns of low-carb advocates, and don't have a problem with dairy as a major source of protein and nutrition in general.
    Finally, induction into a low carb diet might be met with intolerance for the first couple of weeks, especially if one does training activities. One needs to get over that first couple of weeks or so.
    Your suggestions (except the 'get into bed', which I found funny) were quite the things our friend needed to hear.
    Thanks!

4. Naval on May 15, 2009 at 20:18

I was an Indian Vegetarian who went EVFit a few years ago, with predictable results (lots of muscle gain, went from 180 lbs to 150 lbs, etc). It worked great, but I have a few observations / suggestions for your commenter:

– You have to get off the Indian diet. The naans, rotis, rice are too big a part of the culture. Even when you do get meat and vegetables, they're heavily cooked, processed, and / or spiced, spiking insulin faster and needing more simple carbs as accompaniments.

– You have to go heavily non-vegetarian. Can't do it on paneer and eggs alone

– Going low-carb is harder than going "no-carb" (no "simple-carb" anyway). Some carbs will make you want to have more carbs. A 2-3 day fast can trigger ketosis and kick you off properly. Just deal – it's like withdrawing from any other drug.

– Even the fruit / nut combo can be fatal. The sugar in fruits triggers hunger which leads to eating dense nuts, loaded with calories. The vast, vast majority of calories should come from whole meats (not shredded, pounded, ground, etc.) and whole vegetables (not pureed, cooked, etc). This is the one place where I take exception to the recipes on this blog. Even things like almond flour are not good! The grinding down of the nut means that the carbs present will hit the bloodstream immediately, producing a brief but pronounced insulin spike.

5. Tim on May 15, 2009 at 21:30

Hmm, like Richard, I'd "just do it" and drop the hammer and get it done. Just make it a 2 week game, a personal challenge to go zero carb. You can more easily focus when the rules are strict. Fill the fridge with the meats, eggs and fats that you need to make the zero carb nutrition always at hand. Don't even worry about Paleo or Evolutionary appropriateness. Just eat fat and meat and stay at full zero carb for 2 weeks. He'd bust right through and the junk carbs (naan, rice, rottis lumped right in with soda, candy and potatoes to me….) would never hold sway again.

You can put away as much of anything at any time from zero carb sources as you desire. 11pm and bacon sounds good? Eat it. Feeling foggy or carb jones coming on, hammer back a spoon or two of coconut oil. Just really hammer out the zero carb for that couple weeks and you are "cured". No cheater sweeteners, or zero "net" carbs, just zero carbs.

I'm on a 90 day all meat diet just to see what it does to me/ for me (15 days in now) and frankly it is liberating to grasp that many things are just off limits and not even an option or temptation.

You've got years of experience NOT going zero carb. We all do. YEARS, like many many many many days, thousands of days already in the bag eating lots of carbs. So, commit to yourself that simple little 2 weeks of zero carb. That's just me.

6. Richard Nikoley on May 15, 2009 at 17:02

Don't know about the individual's health, but he is, of course, welcome to provide additional information. This is about help & support.

Yea, I'd in no way intended to go hog wild on naan, particularly because, like you, if I get started I'm going to gorge. It's quite a powerful drug.

7. Richard Nikoley on May 15, 2009 at 17:06

Lettuce wraps are a great idea. I also use celery for nice cheeses, though I have a project going in the kitchen to come up with a paleo cracker for un-paleo cheese 🙂

8. Richard Nikoley on May 15, 2009 at 17:08

What's wrong with getting into bed for 2-3 days, on any pretense? 🙂

9. Grok on May 15, 2009 at 18:24

"It's quite a powerful drug."

You can say that again. I don't necessarily want to demonize all grains and/or grain products, but it's impossible for me to stay away once started. I'm generally comfortable with the idea of eating some (minimal) whole brown rice, quinoa, & beans, but I can't manage in moderation for some reason.

Only way for me to break away from carbs is to binge them sick & follow up with longer fast.

10. Murray on May 15, 2009 at 20:10

I just happened to be googling the induction phase of the Atkins diet today. Here is a helpful quote from one site I came across:
    "For the first few days of induction, you will be withdrawing from sugar and caffeine. It will take 3 to 7 days for these substances to leave your system. During this time, you may find that withdrawal from these substances causes you to have headaches, diarrhoea, nausea, "brain fog" (be careful driving), and muscle cramps. This is commonly referred to as "induction flu." If you suffer from these symptoms take heart- they are very temporary. Soon, you will wake up with more energy than you’ve had in years, your moods will stabilize, and your hunger will disappear!"
    Of course, the more addicted to carbs you are, the more intense the withdrawal will be. Your body is switching from burning carbohydrates for fuel to burning fat for fuel.

11. John Campbell on May 16, 2009 at 11:44

All good advice here – I say you have to push through your body's resistance. Your body is used to the carbs and is resisting the change – obviously a metaphor, but a useful one I believe. Do whatever it takes to make the change. The time it takes to achieve this will vary and the discomfort in doing so will vary among people. No surprise there – we are all the same animals with different histories, slightly different physiologies, and different psychologies.

As Richard says every body is quite ready to be living on very little or no carbs. It takes some time to get things back on track. Try different strategies, but do not give up – the rewards are huge. Persevere with patience.

Do not fool yourself with some carbs being better than others – at this stage, you will really need a drastic cutback to make the switch – it gets easier and very rewarding. Obviously eating paleo is much more than low carbs, but that is the biggest hurdle for sure. Everything else is a piece of cake (oops) after that.

I think I had a pretty easy time of it, but I did experience some brain fog a few times and I popped a chocolate covered almond once or twice on a few occasions. It helped to get me over the hump. There are no doctrinaire rules apart from: listen to your body, do not give up, and listen to all the advice and make it your own.

Good luck! Keep us posted – we have all been there and many others can learn from your journey.

12. AndrewS on May 18, 2009 at 06:23

When I started doing low-carb, I cheated way too much. It was a pain. Eventually I realized that cheating made me want to cheat more. Carbs are addictive.

Yet I'm not upset with the path I took, despite the cheating. I cleaned one thing out of my diet, then another, then another. Eventually the only thing I had to get rid of was that occasional sugary soda, or donut or kolache that someone brought in to the office. Reading and re-reading information on what wheat does to one's intestines really drove home that those cheating episodes were nutritional disasters and I was able to cut them out.

Looking back, I think the easiest way to break out of the carb cycle is to fast. I don't want to do it again, though, to test my theory, so that's just a guess.

Be happy with the progress you've made, and keep making progress. All of the above suggestions are good. Ultimately it doesn't matter what route you take, as long as you are making progress towards your goal.

13. CC on May 18, 2009 at 06:37

Richard,
    This post reminded me of my own situation. Hubby and I are trying to go primal- he wants to lose weight, I want to get healthier in general and stronger. I have no weight to lose- 5 foot 9, down to 120 pounds. I'm breastfeeding my four month old daughter. We've tried to go all out primal twice now (diet wise), and both times by the end of the first week I have been layed up with very bad diarrhea and stomach cramps. Plus, I keep losing weight, and I don't think it's healthy for me to lose any more. I really want to take carbs out of my diet, because I truly believe they aren't healthy, but I am frustrated by all these false starts.

14. justin on May 18, 2009 at 07:21

Bit late to the comments here, but there is one thing that isn't being discussed here, and that's PROTEIN.

First, a little background on me – my wife is Indian (born in Texas to two Indians who migrated to the U.S. in the 70s). I've also been to India twice, the most recent being back in October, which was about eight months after I started IFing and eating paleo.

Observations (and this probably deserves its own blog post):

My wife's parent's generation seems to have a higher incidence of metabolic syndrome, cancer, and obesity than the population at large. Tragically, my mother-in-law passed away last year from duodenal cancer, which ultimately shut down her liver. Prior to that battle, she had successfully fought off breast cancer about five years prior only to be left with Type II Diabetes. I only wish I had known what I know now a year sooner. It maybe could have made a difference.

When I say "higher incidence," I mean that I know numerous people of Indian decent and migration who have died of cancer or are fighting type II diabetes. Why? What is going on? I don't know, and it's more complicated than just "low carb."

I say it's more complicated because these higher incidences don't *seem* transfer back to India. My mother-in-law's mother is almost 90! She's also type II diabetic, but she's also vegetarian. She's lived stateside frequently over the past few decades but sticks intensely to traditional Indian foods from what I've seen.

My father-in-law's uncle is in his mid-80s, is skinny as a rail, and walks a few miles every day. He's never lived outside of India. He's *not* the picture of health in that he has to have dialysis periodically, but he's also a vigorous older man.

I'd also like to note that when I was in India, with few exceptions, I noticed that virtually all men in India were skinny to the point of looking malnourished. Women frequently were skinny as well, but you would see a number of overweight women. Overweight people, from what I've seen, are typically just skinny/malnourished people living in fat suits (the fat hogging all the nutrition).

Finally, when I was in India, it was difficult to get protein. Vegetarianism is very popular and the most available sources of protein, in the order of availability, are: lentils, dairy, eggs, and chicken. Lamb is sometimes available. Beef and pork are virtually impossible to find.

Anyway, I'm not going to draw some hasty generalization from my observations — diet across different cultures is extremely complicated to boil down into some bright line rules. However, if there's one thing that I see universally lacking in either the Indian diet in India or here in the states, it is protein consumption. So I would recommend, first and foremost, that protein intake be upped to something like .7 – 1 gm protein / lb. of weight (just a general rule of thumb) per day. That alone should displace a great deal of carbohydrate consumption while also aiding in the regulation of your metabolism — dietary protein being convertible into glycogen making it a very low glycemic index food source that can be tapped for energy *if necessary*.

Also, try to get as much of your carbs from fermented foods like yogurt, idli, etc. Naan is fermented with yeast — I'm not sure that counts.

Final note: I try to get my father-in-law, who is overweight (and has been since before he came to the states, I consider his adiposity to be a defense mechanism) to cut back on rotli, naan, rice, and sweets. He had some success with IF. His problem is mostly just not taking the initiative to improve his health, and he also backslides a bit because of some excuse-making by relatives who don't see as much merit in low-carb/fasting as me.

But I keep trying anyway 🙂 Good luck!

15. justin on May 18, 2009 at 07:24

Sorry – one more comment — eradicate the use of vegetable oils in your cooking. If there is one other universal constant I see in Indian food / diet, it is the extreme use of vegetable oils in their cooking. Replace vegetable oil (Canola oil, peanut oil) with coconut oil, olive oil, palm oil, lard, etc.

16. Minneapolis J on May 18, 2009 at 11:10

Richard, I agree completely about that. I am feeling "off" right now, and I feel like fasting will get me back on track.

As I read this site more and more, it seems to me that you are not a big fruit fan. cordain encourages as much fruit as possible. Sisson cautions fruit(in moderation) and you are not a big fan it seems.

Do you suspect fruit causes insulin resistance or is not a good carb source?

17. Minneapolis J on May 18, 2009 at 11:13

I am Indian, and that's why I dont eat Indian food. I would say my body comp is way different from the average Indian because of this too…..what are some dishes that you liked that were Indian, and what could be added to improve them Richard? I think your coconut curried meats are a good start.

18. Minneapolis J on May 18, 2009 at 11:16

actually justin, I would say you are right. For some reason, it is thought in Indian circles that lentils are good sources of protein, completely false.

Definitely metabolic syndrome is high in India,from what I have seen, I don't see that much cancer, actually more so here in the US Caucasian population.

regardless, I think the animal sources of protein are most effective. carbs need to be moderated.

19. CC on May 18, 2009 at 12:51

Richard:
    It surprises me that you say "perhaps you need the carbs". I've been reading a lot about paleo/primal diet and I've never heard of an exception to the rule. But it's usually not focused on people like me who don't want to lose weight.

I was having a conversation with my husband last night about how if I was a caveman I probably wouldn't have survived very long and his response was "yeah, we would have probably just eaten you." I'm feeling like I don't fit into the club!

In terms of fasting through an "episode"- how long would I fast for? i.e. how long after the symptoms start? I'm a little worried about fasting because I'm afraid I'll lose even more weight. And what foods do you eat when you start to get back into food after an episode? I've always heard the BRAT (bananas, rice, applesauce, toast) diet, but most of those choices don't fit with paleo/primal.

20. justin on May 18, 2009 at 13:31

It's possible I was seeing a biased sample, but from this where my wife's parents live, I could rattle off three Indians who passed away from cancer *in the past year* alone.

Richard – I assume you've had tandoori chicken, which is one of my all-time faves. You marinate the chicken in a spiced up yogurt (that turns orange from the spices) for at least a day, if not longer. Mind: if you're making tandoori drummies, you typically remove the skin first.

Ha I'm on a fast right now and this is making me awfully hungry.

There's another dish which is quite possibly my favorite – chole bhatura. It's basically chick peas with a fried naan (not sure that is technically right). My mother-in-law made the best chole, too. So, so tasty.

21. Minneapolis J on May 18, 2009 at 14:26

Richard, do you still read Brad Pilon anymore? I think his fasting ideas are good even though he doesn't support a "paleo diet". I mean the guy is ripped to shreds on whatever he is doing, but I was wondering if you read him anymore?

22. Richard Nikoley on May 18, 2009 at 09:32

CC:

Perhaps you need the carbs. But you can get them naturally, via starches like sweet potatoes and such. You can do fruit as well, but I'd still keep that at minimum.

I and many people have had the diarrhea thing. I'm not sure what it is or what causes it, but it seems to go away over time.

Also, make sure you're getting plenty of fat. You might consider pushing through the next episode with a fast. Fasting is now my prime mode of operation whenever I feel the slightest bit off, and it works wonders for me.

23. Richard Nikoley on May 18, 2009 at 09:37

Yep. We have a number of Indian friends and though I love the food immensely, it is always slightly frustrating that it's often so sparse in the meat department.

24. Richard Nikoley on May 18, 2009 at 11:29

I think that it's likely that it signals our bodies to store fat, just as it does in bears prior to hibernation. Gorging on the blueberries literally gives them metabolic syndrome (which they need to put on the massive fat) prior to going to sleep.

I just had about 3-4 strawberries and a handful of blueberries this morning. Fruit is fine, but I think it should be in moderation, berries should for the brunt of consumption, and that it might be good to go periods with no fruit intake.

25. Richard Nikoley on May 18, 2009 at 11:34

Probably my hands-down favorite is butter chicken. Man, I can just eat and eat (along with rice & naan) until I'm sick. I also like the lamb curries, and second to that, the chicken curries. A good hot Vinadaloo is great too.

I don't know that I'd want to change these too much, though I'm sure thickening can be done without resorting to flours & starches (how do they thicken?). If you make them very meaty, then they can be eaten as a stew, without need of rice or bread.

26. Richard Nikoley on May 18, 2009 at 13:12

CC:

Let me be more precise. Perhaps you "need" the carbs now, as the real issue is real food eaten (and not eaten) in a natural manner that resets your hunger.

The fundamental battle is hunger. See here:

I am not of the belief that the issue is primarily about carbohydrate, but about certain forms of carbohydrate (fructose; refined sugar), bad fats (with unnatural omega 6/3 ratios) and anti-nutrients such as found in most grains.

Keep in mind that there are healthful populations that have existed equator to arctic circle, from 70% energy from carb (Kitavans and others) to zero carb (Inuit). Maybe you'd be better with some carb, and if not in the long run, maybe now as you transition to eating only real food.

As for fasting, you night try one 24 hour period once per week. Eat as much of real food as you want after. Do some sprints or a lifting workout toward the end of the fast and don't eat for a while after.

You'll know you are beginning to arrive when you are almost never hungry, and even when you are, it's an enjoyable, invigorating hunger and not the debilitating nausea sort of hunger that craves sugar.

Here's all my posts on fasting:

27. Richard Nikoley on May 18, 2009 at 13:48

Yea, I like tandoori chicken OK, but butter chicken is made (at least the ones I've had) with tandoori chicken, it's like tandoori chicken in this rich orange / red sauce.

28. Richard Nikoley on May 18, 2009 at 15:12

I pop in every now and then. He has some good stuff, like his most recent on how to lose muscle.

29. Anand Srivastava on May 18, 2009 at 23:51

I am the original poster.

First off to Richard, thanks for including my post in your blog. It was nice to see it included here.

Patrick fermented naan makes a lot of difference as Stephan from "Whole Health Source" says. It breaks down the lectins and the gluten. Naan is normally fermented in yogurt to give it its special taste.

The case of commercial breads is different, they do not ferment the bread. They add sugar, which the bacteria ferments, leaving the wheat carbs alone.

If you do want to make your own pizza or bread and want to do it the healthy way, you can use the yeast to ferment it, but don't add any sugar which normally the recipes call for. And let it ferment in a warm place rather than the fridge (not as Alton Brown tells us). Also let it ferment till it is sour, how much you can handle depends on you.

I am also thinking that using refined floor will be better than the whole wheat floor, as the WGA (Wheat Germ Agglutinin) is present in a much larger quantity in whole wheat.

Richard: I managed to get glucose production starting. I didn't have to do anything. This week it automatically happened. Again this weekend I ate a big dinner with a half grilled chicken and nothing else. Morning I was thinking of having coffee for some initial carbs, for the exercise. Unfortunately the milk had gone bad. So I went ahead with my exercise on an empty stomach. It was amazing I did not feel any dizzyness, even though I was exercising with weights near my limit. I have been so happy.

I can only guess what happened, but it seems that the leptin receptors are reducing as I have been consistently reducing my wheat (now down to just 2 unfermented ones), and having lots of south indian dishes like dosa, uthapam, kulliappam, appam. All these are made with different ratios of fermented rice and lentil pastes. Appam also contains coconut milk.

I now think that although eating low carb is the best for our bodies, I will be healthy on fermented grains and lentils, with occasional low carb durations. I have started going low carb during lunches. I have lots of healthy fats during the breakfast.

I have given up on refined oils completely, and use Mustard oil (our traditional oil) for omega3. I am supplementing with COL, but in limited quantity, because of excess Vitamin A, and no Vitamin K2 :-(.

Supplementation is the remaining problem for me. Vitamin D3 and K2 are not available in India. Have to find somebody in US who is coming to India soon ;-).

Thanks a lot. I have not seen this blog for a few days been too busy with my work, and weekends normally there is no time.

-anand

30. Anand Srivastava on May 19, 2009 at 01:04

I guess you missed the bit about my wife being a vegetarian. She finds meat nauseous. Its difficult to get her to let me cook one meat meal in a week, and you want me to fill the fridge with meat. Well I am doing what I can.

Luckily glucose production has started by itself. Otherwise Richard's get into the bed for the whole weekend suggestion was looking tempting.

I think that as Kitavans have shown Carbs are not that bad, its just that grain/legumes lectins create lots of problem.

In that view I think starch is not bad. After all our ancestors used to gorge on fruits during spring season, without facing any adverse effect.

It is probably better to eat simple starches, because they get converted into sugar fast, and get converted to fat fast. There by keeping you on a low insulin for a longer time. While complex carbs take a long time to digest and keeps the insulin high for a longer time.

The grains/legumes are bad because of their lectin content. If we can't live without grains/legumes as in my wife's case (she needs the proteins), we must do everything possible to reduce the lectins.

I think that most of the lectins are in the covering of the grains/legumes, so it is better to eat refined grains/legumes, rather than whole. I would think that white rice will be preferable to brown rice, etc. Whole grains also contain more complex carbs which is not good.

I think eating sugar is bad simply because it is empty calories. I have given up on most sweet things except fruits. There also I prefer less sweet fruits.

-anand

31. Anand Srivastava on May 19, 2009 at 01:26

They generally use cashew powder during occasions like marriage parties.

There are other ways too like using cumin powder, and using a thick paste of tomatoes (pips and peel removed with a strainer) and onions.

I somehow don't relish thick gravy. Give me a curry with mustard oil any day. Its difficult to eat fish without the taste of mustard, we are so used to it. And mustard is the only source of omega 3 for a vegetarian.

32. Anand Srivastava on May 19, 2009 at 01:28

That is technically right. It is made with the same dough as naan.

33. Anand Srivastava on May 19, 2009 at 01:32

I have had a lot of convincing to do, but now we are vegetable oils free at home. My wife has taken a lot of time to understand that what I am saying makes sense. Now I am losing fat also quite fast so she cannot ignore the results. But meat is something that she will not have.

We have some unrefined mustard oil (kacchi ghani omega3:omega6 ratio 1:1.4) sold in shops here, and is quite important for vegetarians. Although I am not sure how much should be the limit. It is the traditional oil and we cook all our vegetables in it.

34. Richard Nikoley on May 19, 2009 at 09:56

Anand:

Really great news. Also, I'm gratified that you are doing your own style of "paleo" or low carb. Even 80% paleo is probably going to fine for most people long term and a far sight better than most modern diets.

Congratulations. Feels amazing to exercise hungry, eh? Almost as though it's the way of nature.

35. Richard Nikoley on May 19, 2009 at 10:00

Regarding fruits, I think gorging on them puts on the belly fat for winter, as nature intended. Look what it does for bears prior to hibernation. So, I try to keep fruit to moderation and go periods of days or weeks with none.

36. Anand Srivastava on May 19, 2009 at 22:27

Yeah it felt great, not being controlled by carbs. I have stopped getting those hunger feelings that I used to get before when I hadn't eaten for a few hours.

I will start doing longer fasting soon. My wife is not so sure. So first she needs to feel confident that I am not doing anything to screw up.

37. Anand Srivastava on May 19, 2009 at 22:29

I think older fruits may not have contained so much fructose, we might have selected them based on their sweetness since we started to farm. Unnatural selection can result in very fast evolution (the way we did with DDT), as compared to natural selection.

38. Minneapolis J on May 20, 2009 at 14:48

yea that seems like a good idea overall. get that variation, introduce the metabolism to different things. Although I think high fat/high protein works the best for me. You to I assume Richard?

39. Anand Srivastava on May 22, 2009 at 02:11

Well this time something different happened. I had eaten a lot of rice the night before. I did go to the exercise hungry. I was feeling a bit dizzy. So I guess no carbs the day before my exercises.

It seems that carbs interfere with glucose production. Need to repeat the test.

But if it is true then I don't know what our hunter gatherers did during spring. They would be too tired all the time because of the carbs they had from the fruit. Maybe they would take a day or two off from eating and then get into killing on empty stomach. Or maybe they relied on smaller kills during spring.

40. JLB on March 9, 2010 at 17:23

Anand,

Wow you are in a pickle! I’ve been thinking…what could I do if I were in your position?

Here’s what I came up with.

I’d probably try to use eggs and coconut milk/oil [or coconut products in general] for vitamins and saturated fat respectively. I think I could live a long time on eggs and coconut if I had to. Using that as a foundation I’d make my next step vegetables…then fruits…then fermented grains [if gluten] or soaked [if nongluten but still eaten whole] depending on your need at the time. If it’s going to be a staple or something you rely on for nutrition I’d soak it otherwise I might not bother and just use the processed white instead. Meat and animal products when you can, fermented when it’s dairy [other than ghee and cream if it’s available].

I think ditching the veg oils for traditional oils is a very important element, perhaps even moreso than the carbs.

I’d also make use of intermittent fasting to give your body a chance to use those carbs before you eat more of them. Trying to keep your insulin response low while maximising your nutrition is a tough challenge in some situations. Hope some of those ideas can be a help to you.