MovNat at Wildfitness

I've mentioned MovNat before: here, here and here, but here's a new MoveNat video done at Wildfitness that really demonstrates the beauty, fun and playfulness of this sort of movement. Be sure and click the HQ button once the video begins for the high quality version.

1. Dangeruss on May 20, 2009 at 14:36

Wow! That was…. Sexy. Too bad I don't have anywhere around here to train like that. I did climb two trees today though.

2. MI09 on May 20, 2009 at 21:55

Richard,

please check Alvaro Romano and his ginastica natural concept. The moves are explosive

Hs channel on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/ginasticanatural

3. Aaron Blaisdell on May 20, 2009 at 16:13

Amazing. That's what I spent my childhood doing. Now I know what I'll be doing during my ensuing sabbatical. Thank goodness I live in LA with access to the coast and the Santa Monica mountains.

4. Aaron Blaisdell on May 20, 2009 at 17:06

Good idea. We just bought a new video camera with a whopping hard drive. I just don't want to scare anyone away with videos of my big Jewish schnoz. Gary Shandling said that TV adds 10 pounds, in his case all to his face. Probably in my case all to my nose.

Of course, then there's what Steve Martin's character said about the size of a man's nose in the movie Roxanne. 😉 All I know is that if I walk into a wall, my nose ain't what get's hurt. LOL

5. Patrik on May 20, 2009 at 17:29

That was great. A couple thoughts:

What that is not a workout. Wait, before you pile on me.

This is, I think, better and is something we should aspire to. Why? Cuz it is exertion/play, but not "work" as in "Oh fuck, I have to do what? I am tired, leave me alone."

What EvFit is, in my mind, is a closer match to what our ancestors were doing when they were either making war on one another or hunting, to pick two activities.

Don't get me wrong, both of those, especially the former can be "stressful" to say the least — BUT what I think is that, that sort of natural exertion has, (that most modern day "workouts" don't have), is "The Flow".

For the unfamiliar: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flow_(psychology)

And, the Flow, IMHO, is absolutely necessary for universal mental and physical health. When you are doing biceps curl and checking yourself out in the mirror — you couldn't be further from The Flow.

Two flow cognates in my life for primal hunting and fighting are freediving/spearfishing and judo.

I remember one gorgeous day, I was out looking for white seabass in a monster kelp bed in SoCal — water was great, life everywhere, lobsters, leopard sharks, bat rays, halibut — I was silent and my dives were long and effortless, I came across a school of WSB and unhurriedly stalked and killed one. I got out of the water with my fish, thinking to myself, "Wow. That was fast, but why is the sun so low?" Turns out I had been in the water for 5 hours and it felt like 20 mins. The Flow.

As a judo player (like most athletes), you try to train your mind/body to automatically get into the Flow. This is not trivial. As an elite player, if you have to think about how you want to throw, pin, choke, armbar your opponent — it is already too late. I won a major tournament where in my last match, I found myself almost observing myself as I, w/o thought, fought a match. It was such a satisfying blur that at the end, I found myself looking up at the ref as he signaled my win. I didn't actually remember throwing my opponent.

My opponent was flat on his back underneath me as I had thrown him perfectly (ippon) — and I was almost ignorant of how it happened. I then heard an odd roaring sound and thought to myself — who is roaring right now?

Turns out I had jumped up and, like an animal, roared my victory. The Flow.

6. Richard Nikoley on May 20, 2009 at 16:25

Record some video. I'll be happy to post it.

7. Richard Nikoley on May 22, 2009 at 08:23

Interesting stuff. Very freestyle, it seems. I often like to do explosive moves in water.