Eating Out and Away

Mark Sisson has up a decent guide to eating out. He's right about the Mexican. While I might could go for the carnitas, or even the home made chicharrónes, I usually go for the fajitas, in the same style Mark suggests: ditch the tortiallas, rice, & beans. Gor for the grilled meat, veggies, guac & sour cream.

This is precisely what I did last Friday evening at a very old and popular Mexican restaurant.

Fajitas

Sunday we went to visit my dad & mom for fathers day. Got there about noon and I hadn't eaten since those fajitas right above. A bit hungry, and as it turned out, mom had made ground beef stuffed cabbage the night before, no rice. Perfectly primal.

IMG_0274

I think I'll be giving this one a go. Ideas for variations include trying it with ground lamb, veal, or a combo. I also have one pack of ground venison left over from my brother's kill some months back, so this dish is a definite candidate.

Fast forward a few hours, mom set out some snacks.

IMG_0276

Artisan salami, pickled herring, a camembert, smoked oysters, assorted veggies & cheese, and chicharrónes.

I'm very fortunate to have parents and other family who have seen the benefits of the primal, real food experience.

1. Jean on June 23, 2009 at 14:13

Richard, you could add a sauerkraut and mushroom layer to the cabbage rolls. If you make layers, put a layer of the 'kraut and mushrooms (I like them lightly sauteed in butter) along with the tomato sauce/canned tomatoes, otherwise just cover the rolls with the 'kraut, etc.
    I have found cabbage rolls are actually better after freezing. They are even good cold (for lunch on the slopes, or beach…). The best is with a good dollop of organic sour cream. Yum.
    I had a friend from Czechoslovakia and she made this recipe from her grandmother. She used rice with the ground meat, but that's easy to loose. It's all good.

2. Sue on June 23, 2009 at 16:59

My mum makes that dish – ground beef in cabbage rolls but she also puts rice in it.
    The cabbage used is already pickled. So doesn't use fresh cabbage. Is yours with pickled cabbage?

3. jon winchester on June 23, 2009 at 19:58

yeah we make that with sour cabbage (kiseli kupus), which takes a couple months to make. in a hurry you can boil the cabbage briefly to get it soft enough for wrapping, and cook it with sauerkraut and lots of juice. but it’s not as good.

4. Joanna on June 24, 2009 at 01:07

Interesting food choices … yum yum …

5. Joe Matasic on June 24, 2009 at 05:19

My mom always boiled the cabbage. Of course I never ate it as a kid. I would be willing to try it now. Of course for the rice I would sub cauliflower "rice." I have been using that more lately. For my butter chicken and green chicken curry.

6. Richard Nikoley on June 24, 2009 at 08:27

No, mom briefly boils the cabbage. Will have to try pickled.

7. Chef Rachel on June 24, 2009 at 16:12

Hi Richard,

I used to make stuffed cabbage leaves using collard greens on occasion. I boiled the leaves whole for a few minutes to make em easier to roll, cut a "V" to remove the thick stem, then rolled them just like cabbage leaves, only I didn't need to patch the broken or small leaves as I did when I used cabbage. Really pretty looking and a nice variation. Lamb works really well in place of beef. Some people like to mix two or three kinds of meat: I prefer a single meat.

I have never tried chicharrónes (fried pork rinds?) They look nice and crunchy. I think I'll spick some up tonight or tomorrow night and try them. Do you have a favorite brand? Do they keep well after opening the bag? I suppose I could vacuum seal the leftovers in a quart mason jar to keep them fresh.

Thanks for giving me a new idea! Have a wonderful trip!

Best wishes,
    Chef Rachel

8. Sue on June 24, 2009 at 17:52

jon, yes that's right kiseli kupus. We call the cabbage rolls sarma.

9. jon winchester on June 24, 2009 at 21:32

Sue – that's it! I'm visiting my wife's family in bosnia later this summer. just thinking about that food makes me hungry. I've not eaten bread in many months, but when I get that first plate of cevapi ground meat with onions, yogurt and pita all bets are off!

Rachel – I think chicharrones is what I have left over after rendering lard from pork belly chunks; not sure but I think pork rinds are cured first, and chicharrones maybe not? they are like crunchy little pork bombs that look dry but release all their grease when you bite them. anyway we usually eat them plain or with just a little salt; some folks have them with hot pepper or vinegar. they will get a little stale after a day or two if they last that long, but do fine in the fridge or sealed up.

10. Sue on June 25, 2009 at 15:49

Jon – yes that combination is yummy. Have a good time.