Links and Quick Hits

~ Photos of School lunches from around the world. Actually, many of them don't look nearly as bad as I would have thought and by and large, the Japanese, Koreans and Chinese appear at a glance to have the best lunches, with perhaps a slight edge to the Chinese. (Thanks to reader DR Zinn for sending that)

~ Reader Jon Winchester says says that with regard to Trotter Gear: "there are endless paleo uses for [it] and it's an amazing thing to keep a few quarts in the freezer."

~ Vitamin D deficiency is associated with accelerated atherosclerosis in those with type 1 diabetes. "Dr. Naik presented study results indicating that although vitamin D (25-OHD) deficiency is not increased among type 1 diabetes patients, a deficiency in this patient population is associated with the initiation and acceleration of coronary artery calcification."

~ Another happy "customer." From the comment, "…I just couldn't seem to make the vegan, raw diet stick. I obsessed about food and gorged on fats at night. Only recently have I learned about the paleo diet, and convinced of its merits, gave it a try. I started eating meat and eggs and bacon. I can't believe how LIBERATING this diet is. I don't obsess over food anymore."

~ Part 2 of Stephan's review of the Lyon Diet-Heart Study is up. "After five years on their respective diets, 3.4% of the control group and 1.3% of the intervention group had died, a 70% reduction in deaths. Cardiovascular deaths were reduced by 76%." You'll have to head over there to find out how.

~ Frequent commenter Don Matesz has posted problem number 8 in his Top Ten Problems With Applying The Paleolithic Diet Principles. He's doing them in countdown fashion, and in case you missed 10 and 9, they're right here and here.

1. Aaron Blaisdell on June 9, 2009 at 10:43

Re the national school lunches: "USA: Tater tots, chicken nuggets, fruit, chocolate milk and ketchup."

PUKE!!!!!

And to think I was raised on PB&J on white bread. And that was AFTER a breakfast of sugary cereal (coco puffs, or captain crunch, or the like) in skim milk.

DOUBLE PUKE!

The Asian lunches look the best, especially when they include fish/seafood, meat, eggs, fermented vegetables, and a broth.

I was in Tokyo a year ago and the hotel I stayed at had both American style and Japanese style breakfast items available. I sampled both, including eggs and bacon from American and fish and miso soup from Japan.

2. Joanne of Open Mind Required on June 9, 2009 at 11:39

Yeah! I was raised on Cap'n Crunch with Crunchberries, Carnation Instant Breakfast, valium and tetracycline.

I'm reading Fat Land now, which describes how the fast food industry got around the USDA and into the school lunches. Terrible what people feed their kids.

3. Anand Srivastava on June 10, 2009 at 07:01

I just remembered a very paleo food, popular in Hydrabad (India). Its a bone broth, called Paya (actually lamb legs stewed). The locals swear by it. It is supposed to cure everything.

I believe that might be right with so many minerals and vitamins present in the broth.

4. Richard Nikoley on June 10, 2009 at 15:54

I think bone broths are a hugely overlooked area of nutrition in the paleo community. Not s with WAPFers.

5. Toby Lee on June 11, 2009 at 04:48

If you are interested in vitamin D you should take a look at http://www.vitaminD3world.com The site has good summaries of the data and offers a new formulation of vitamin D in a micro-pill formulation. The pills have been formulated with cellulose which absorbs water very quickly. This ensures that the pill breaks up very quickly to provide for maximum absorption. Many vitamin D pills on the market have very poor dissolution properties resulting in poor absorption.
    The site also offers to supply customers with a free supply of 400IU for their children.

Toby

6. Ken on June 13, 2009 at 06:51

Low D3 levels could be the result of developing an 'abnormal carbohydrate metabolism'.

There are studies that suggest high serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D3 levels are not an unalloyed benefit.
    Serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D3 levels are elevated in South Indian patients with ischemic heart disease

Levels of antioxidants were found to corrolate with disease too, however the trials where people took antioxidant supplements produced excess mortality.

Evolution takes care of vitamin D levels.
    Mad dogs and ….