Nothing Like a Picture – Reader Transformation

Tim Ranitsch, featured in this former post, send me a couple of photos. On the left is his much larger self at 225 and on the right, at 170. While he lost most of his weight doing a standard dieting approach, he reports feeling much better and more natural on the paleo path the last nine months.

Picture 4

It never ceases to amaze me how getting down to a normal weight transforms a person's face. Great job, Tim, even if you used conventional dieting (starvation and food obsession) to get there. Now you're in a great place for life.

1. perihelion.myopenid.com on June 1, 2009 at 15:42

Awesome! Motivational!

2. Bob in San Jose on June 1, 2009 at 17:24

Congratulations Tim. Keep up the good work.

3. Tim Rangitsch on June 1, 2009 at 17:38

Hi Richard! Tim here!

I was hardcore calorie counting to hit that loss. I had a notepad, a calorie counting book and pen on me AT ALL TIMES. I had bought a gram scale, measuring utensils and steadfastly logged each carefully measured morsel of food. I kept it at 1,800 calories or less daily. Immediately, this meant ruling out all sweets, candy, soda, beer, and the like. And shortly after starting the plan, I had realized that pasta, bread, chips and tortillas were empty calories that left me hungry, still didn't know the mechanism of it all until well after I achieved the 65lb loss! I know I lost plenty of muscle in that time frame, too.

Measuring, counting and portion control worked as I was obsessed. But,if I had not found the info on blogs such as Free the Animal, Son of Grok, Drs Eades, and Marks Daily Apple, I'd never been able to sustain it. Gary Taubes "Good Calorie, Bad Calorie" made me dig deep and read far and wide. In a few months it had all become clear to me how to properly eat and exercise. I continue this personal evolution and truly wish I could drag everyone in need along with me.

And it is not just about weight loss, it is about improved living, improved health and awareness. Improved personal performance, comfort, sleep, clarity and outlook. I see the damaged humans around me every day, and want to pull this "paleo" knowledge out of my brain and stick it into their consciousness for them to put it to work, but that just doesn't seem to be an easy trick.

4. Tim on June 1, 2009 at 17:45

And if anyone wants to talk to a "regular guy" about any of this, drop me an email through my bike shop website. Put "paleo" in the subject line.

5. Richard Nikoley on June 1, 2009 at 16:01

Well, it does underscore the fact that there are many roads that "lead to Rome."

Chronic starvation and food obsession is one way. But it's not sustainable and that's why Tim migrated to Paleo. Who knows? His transformation may have taken longer.

So what?