Almost Paleo Country “Biscuits” & Gravy

Picture 2

This is one I came up with concurrently while thinking of last night's meal. I was actually a late comer to the love of country buttermilk biscuits & gravy, but fall hard I did. "Twas a time when, all the local cafes I frequented existed in a mental hierarchy based exclusively on my judgment of the quality of their country gravy.

But since going toward paleo two years ago, getting closer 18 months ago, and finding my stride and expertise now, it has been a rare cheat treat that I've maybe fixed only 3-4 times, all right up here in…the open country.

Well, I'm here to say that the gravy problem was easily solved, so, no more need of flour and starches and other nefarious ingredients. Seriously: coconut milk, country sausage, and whatever spices you like. Simmer and reduce gently. I used just a couple dashes each of chives, rosemary, parsley, and savory. I also added a quarter cup of heavy cream and 1/4 tsp of Kitchen Bouquet, just for color. Regular readers know that I do a lot of coconut milk curries (just use search to find them). In this case, fortunately, there is not a hint of coconut flavor. It works excellently.

Biscuits are a much harder problem. I was very limited in choices, here. No coconut flour at the local market, so, for six cupcakes, I used four jumbo eggs, 4 tbsp coconut milk, 1/2 cup of buttermilk, and 4 tbsp cottage cheese. (Note: that was a full can of coconut milk, and the remainder went with the 1/2 pound of sausage.)

I greased the cupcake pan with bacon drippings; and by the way, if you use bacon drippings, then always cook your bacon on very low heat. I'm patient, and my bacon never smokes, and so my drippings are always pretty pristine for later use. Also, the sausage was too lean, and so 2 tbsp of bacon dripping went in there, too.

Picture 3

350 degrees, and I initially tried 15 minutes, but a knife poke revealed way too much moisture. So, I kicked it up to 400 for another 10 minutes, which did the trick. I rested for 5 minutes in the tray, and then another 5 minutes turned over on the counter, letting moisture steam off. In the end, about as firm as quiche.

The biscuits are the weak link, and I'm anxious to try various things when I get back home, such as the cauliflower pizza crust, coconut flour, or some combination. For those who like country gravy on their scrambled eggs, this approximated that. If I can get the biscuits up to the texture I'd like, then I'll go the the trouble. Otherwise, I'll probably just do plain omelets with the country gravy poured on top.

SANY0007

1. john fitzgibbon on June 16, 2009 at 12:42

so girl gone primal had some primal muffins that she did, seemed that they could be adapted to this recipe, maybe leaving the chocolate out and replacing with maybe a savory herb.
    I always used to cheese biscuits with herbs in them.

2. max on June 16, 2009 at 20:49

try with chestnuts flour … seems quite primal to me.

3. Dave on June 16, 2009 at 21:23

I also judge restaurants by their country gravy (I'm not even 50% primal yet, but working on it), and I'll definitely try this one on my eggs.

4. TrailGrrl on June 21, 2009 at 14:46

Very timely! I just got the craving and was trying to figure out the biscuit situation. I was going to try the frozen Alexis biscuits because at least they have less crap in them.

But the gravy is key. I will have to try this. Never even thought of coconut milk in for someting like that.

You can take the girl out of the country… but she still needs some biscuits and gravy.

TrailGrrl

5. Jonathan on June 21, 2009 at 12:48

I made this today for a Father's Day treat. I added a little almond flour to the mix. I have to say, this was by far, the best primal meal I have eaten. I was so looking forward to topping my eggs with it again tomorrow. Alas, it is all gone.

6. Bryce on November 1, 2009 at 16:15

Made these biscuits work beautifully today with coconut flour. 1 egg per tbsp coconut flour, per tbsp melted butter, with a little baking powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Baked for about 15 minutes at 400, and they actually came out “biscuity” and held the gravy very well.

As for the gravy, I found that coconut milk gave it a sweetness I couldn’t reconcile with my ideal of the perfect gravy. Heavy whipping cream and butter made for a more suitable gravy this time around, and it was soooo good.

Thanks for the idea!

• Richard Nikoley on November 1, 2009 at 16:24

Good work Bryce. I’ve been hungering for B&G lately, even to the point of considering just getting the real thing — but I have prevailed against such insanity!

Interesting about the coconut milk base. I used freshly ground country sausage from a market that does their own up near my vacation home and it came out without any sweetness or coconut flavor. However, I’m going to give yours a try.

Thanks.

• Nick on August 20, 2010 at 23:26

It’s been a while since your post, but can you give your recipe for the gravy with the cream and butter?