Triglycerides: 93.5% Reduction in Three Weeks – 3,100 to 202

So there you have it: the punchline, right there in the title.

But who did it, and how? That would be none other than Dr. William Davis, cardiologist. So then, what sort of medical procedure did he perform? What sorts of pharmaceuticals did he prescribe? To what level did he admonish his patient, Daniel, to cut the arterycloggingsaturatedfat and to eat lots more servings of hearthealthywholegrians?

Of course, anyone who actually reads and thinks for themselves — rather than swallowing the cloistered expert-&-authority-protectionism of conventional "wisdom" – should know, he did none of those things; which, given the other successes he's blogged about — some of which I've highlighted here — exposes most if not all of the "lipid establishment" (i.e., cloistered expert-&-authority-protection racket) as con men: most physicians in that role, all the drug companies, and our beloved (not!) FDA.

Got it? Good, so let's move on.

Since most of you who should know, know, what then, dear supplicant to cloistered expert-&-authority-protection rackets, did Dr. Davis do? I'm glad you asked! It's actually simple: step one is that he "prescribed" 3,600 mg of over-the-counter omega-3 fatty acids per day, i.e., plain ol' fish oil caps. Depending on concentration, that could be anywhere from 5 to 10 1g caps per day, guesstimating. After 10 days, Trigs had dropped from 3,100 to 1,100. Step two was to continue on the OTC fish oil and eliminate wheat, corn starch, and sugar from the diet (in other words: less hearthealthywholegrains, more arterycloggingsaturatedfat). This took him from 1,100 to 202 in another 10 days.

Daniel, a sufferer of what's known as familial hypertriglyceridemia, now has lower Trigs than whole bunches of people walking about without such a genetic disorder. For those who don't know, triglycerides are fat circulating in your blood. The more hearthealthwholegrains and sugar you eat, the higher will be your triglyceride levels. The more arterycloggingsaturatedfat you eat, the less will be your levels. Almost all paleo and low-carb eaters have levels less than 100, and most of us hang out in a range of 40-60. I believe the average in the US is around 150 or so, and climbing (all while the cloistered expert-&-authority-protection racket claps and cheers over irrelevant, non-associated lower LDL levels). Lots of people are walking around at 400 and higher. But, hey, they lowered their LDL by eating lots of hearthealthywholegrains, and thus helping out Big Agra, who, in gracious turn, helps the cloistered expert-&-authority-protection racket. It's all quite cozy, incestuous…and insanely profitable.

High triglycerides are bad, very bad, and in my opinion, far worse than "elevated" serum cholesterol (lipoproteins). High triglycerides are well associated with death from heart disease, while half of those who die from heart disease have low cholesterol and half have high cholesterol.

Well, that about sums up the story (but not the rant), so the rest is devoted to Dr. Davis himself, who tells the brief story here and here.

I am continually surprised at the number of people with high triglycerides who are still treated with a fibrate drug, like Tricor, or a statin drug, when fish oil — widely available, essentially free of side-effects, with a proven cardiovascular risk-reducing track record –should clearly be the first choice by a long stretch.

Could Dr. Davis be referring to his own colleagues in the medical profession — most, probably?

Uh, yep:

Unfortunately, most of my colleagues, if they even think to use omega-3s, choose to use the prescription form, Lovaza. Indeed, several representatives from AstraZeneca, the pharmaceutical outfit now distributing this miserably overpriced product, frequently barge their way into my office poking fun at our use of nutritional supplements instead of the prescription Lovaza. "But insurance covers it in most cases!" they plead. "And your patients will know that they're getting the real product, not some fake. And they'll have to take fewer capsules!"

Dr. Davis has previously blogged about the Lovaza rip off; punchline: $3,600 per year vs. $150 per year (all while so many in America clamor to have everyone pay for everyone else's "health" care…).

He says further:

I never use Lovaza to reduce triglycerides, even in familial hypertriglyceridemia — the FDA-approved indication for Lovaza — and have not yet seen any failures, only successes.

Good for Daniel, and good for the heroic Dr. Davis, who gives a great prognosis.

He's got just a little further to go to achieve the biologically ideal level of less than 60 mg/dl. You can see that it is not really that difficult–provided someone didn't load you down with nonsense about "cutting your fat," or statin or fibrate drugs.

And guess what, on a related topic? I just heard from a very well respected health blogger in email that a guy who'd contacted him about fatty liver disease got his enzymes back to normal in a single month. This, after 9 whole years of a fatty liver. What advice did this health blogger give him? Drop the sugar, vegetable oils, and take fish oil.

Let's be clear who the enemies are in all this: many of Dr. Davis' colleagues, all pharmaceutical companies, the FDA, and the whores in the mainstream media who can't wait to bend over for each and every one of the foregoing as often as they possibly can.

You didn't hear that here first, but you'll hear it often.

1. Scott Miller on June 17, 2009 at 15:04

Fish oil is a superb remedy for triglycerides, but the other remedy is to reduce (or eliminate) the base cause, too, by a method I've not seen Dr. D mention, yet: drop fructose consumption. Yes, fructose is a (maybe THE) leading cause of high tri's. This is part of the advice I have been giving to friends and co-workers for years, and always with stunning results.

Most people just have no idea how much fructose (in all it's many forms) is buried within our modern food supply, from obvious targets like sodas and desserts, to non-obvious ones like salad dressings (especially fat-free dressings), breads, ketchup, frozen foods, BBQ sauce, spaghetti sauce, yogurt, and most packaged foods, in fact. It's everywhere, and it's the sugar that makes us fat. Plus, fructose is prone to glycation at a rate ~50 times greater than glucose.

A rodent experiment a few years ago: One group of mice were fed glucose water, another fructose water. Several weeks later, several mice in the fructose group had died and all of the remaining fructose mice looked in poor health. The glucose mice looked fine.

Fructose is truly evil stuff, and humans had barely any exposure to it until about 100 years ago, when processed cane sugar became abundant. And it took a giant leap for the worse in the 70's when high fructose corn syrup because available.

2. jon winchester on June 17, 2009 at 15:27

"…the whores in the mainstream media who can't wait to bend over for each and every one of the foregoing as often as they possibly can"

ROFL! actually, I did hear that first here

3. David on June 17, 2009 at 16:02

Hi Scott,

just wondering where you stand on fruit itself and certain vegetables, such as carrots. I understand you're railing against HFCS and the ludicrous amounts of fructose pumped into everything … and I agree. Richard got me linked to Stefan's posts about how fructose is metabolized and and my already high level of concern about fructose became even more elevated. I've been learning about hormones and especially leptin resistance. What I have found about fructose left me quite appalled. Like many people here, I now make just about everything I eat and read labels carefully for anything else. The fact is I LIKE fruits and vegetables,

David

4. Scott Miller on June 17, 2009 at 17:23

David, from my reading research in the last 10 years, my conclusion is that vegetables are perfectly fine, from a fructose perspective.

Most fruits are okay in moderation. Berries are best — most nutrition per calorie. A handful of blueberries only has a few grams of fructose. Generally, our bodies (liver, specifically) can handle up to 30 grams of fructose a day without turning any into fat. Still, I avoid most fruit except as a cheat treat. And I never eat low nutritional fruits like bananas or oranges.

Here's a big tip on fruit: Only eat fruits in which you can eat the skin, because that's where nature put most of the nutritional benefits, especially the unique polyphenols that protect the fruit from the elements (sun, bacteria, bugs, etc). The inside of practically any fruit is sugarville, meant to feed the seed as it grows. So, if you have to peel it, I don't eat it. In fact, when I eat an apple, I just eat the exterior, getting the skin and about a half-inch deeper at most.

5. Dave Teetz on June 17, 2009 at 18:17

Wow – great results I have several questions regarding salmon oil:

– Excess salmon oil is purported to cause thinning of blood. Was this realized by the doctor?

– If there is thinning of the blood, is salmon oil an advisable replacement for those that are prescribed low-dose aspirin?

– Is salmon oil OK to take while also taking cod liver oil?

Thanks,

Dave

• Jonathan Bigelow on June 20, 2016 at 07:04

Hey Dave,

Yes, Omega-3 causes thinning of the blood. However, this can be countered with supplementing Vitamin K. In a book I read recently, ” The Mood Cure: The 4-Step Program to Take Charge of Your Emotions–Today”, the author recommends, that if you consume more than a 1000mg of Omega-3 (EPH/DHA) a day, you should consume a 1000mcg of Vitamin K to counter the thinning effects. I’ve been on this regimen for about year where I consume fish oil containing just a little over a 1000mg (EPH/DHA) Omega-3 a day and still supplement 1000mcg of Vitamin K. I do this because I’ve noticed that my blood is thinner than I would like, and if I get cut, I tend to bleed just a little more than I otherwise would. Also, as an additional plug for consuming fish oil, Omega 3 also functions as a natural MOAI, which targets a certain group of neurotransmitters known as the catecholeamines (norepinephrine, dopamine, seritonine, and endrophine). So, not only does it help balance cholesterol, but you’ll think more clearly, and feel better as well.

6. Fish Oil Vitamins on June 17, 2009 at 23:34

This is a good post. Fish oil vitamins are very good for the body. You must be careful to see that the dosages are within the limits. An overdose can prove very costly. If taken rationally, fish oil vitamins are very good for the eyes and the health in general.

7. David on June 18, 2009 at 10:30

Hi Scott,
    good point about the skins. I do eat more berries than any other fruit, being particularly fond of blackberries and blueberries. I understand your point about bananas, but they are also a good source of potassium. For someone that has higher blood pressure than he wants, it is a consideration. What are your thoughts on both potassium sources and BP reduction in general? Thanks,
    David

8. Webster on June 18, 2009 at 11:41

This is the question I wanted to ask! I dropped my blood pressure to normal (from about 145/95) by eating high potassium to sodium ratio diet for only about 10 days. I did it the easy way by eating lots of potatoes, oranges, bananas, apples, dates and avoiding all salt. Just going low-salt few years ago did not help me much at all. Now though I am worried about high carbs and high fructose in those foods and not quite sure what to do about it (I keep eating them in the meantime!). In general, potassium deficiency is a know side effect of low-carb diets (if one is not careful) and with the exception of trusted avocadoes I can't find very good (low fructose low carb) sources of it..

9. Scott Miller on June 18, 2009 at 19:36

David, for decades we've all been brainwashed by brilliant marketing to believe oranges are a great source of vit C, milk is a great source of calcium, and bananas are a great source of potassium.

I tend to look at foods in terms of "net positive" and "net negative." While bananas do have some nutrients, it is overall a net negative fruit, because of its fructose content.

The skin of a baked potato (the only part of the potato I typically eat — again, skins are where nature puts the nutrients) has 700mg of potassium, which is about a third more than a full banana. Many other foods outrank bananas, and without the fructose.

BTW, here's something I wrote recently, ranking the common sugars:

~~~~~~~~~~

On a scale of 1 to 10, with 10 being the worst:

10 – aspartame (Equal, NutriSweet)
    9 – crystalline fructose (100% fructose)
    8 – agave (80% fructose)
    7 – high fructose corn syrup (55%+ fructose)
    6 – sucrose (table sugar, 50% fructose)
    5 – sucralose (Splenda)
    4 – honey and real maple syrup (45% fructose)
    3 – saccharin (Sweet n’ Low) — no known medical problems associated with saccharin
    2 – sugar alcohols, except xylitol which is okay in moderation
    1 – glucose (all carbs become glucose)

There’s a new sweetener that came out recently that I use and recommend, called Truvia. It’s based on the natural plant stevia, which has been used for 2000+ years as a natural sweetener. However, stevia has always been bitter, too. The new process used to make Truvia removes the bitter components and makes for a much better natural sweetener. Highly recommended, and completely healthy.

10. Chef Rachel on June 19, 2009 at 12:29

Although bananas are promoted as the best source (for profitability?), most people are surprised to discover that bananas are not the only or best source of potassium. Most veggies beat them spoons down! Eating fibrous veggies at every meal with or without some low-sugar fruits you can easily take in many times the RDI for potassium.

1 medium Banana=450 mg potassium

Compare this to 1 cup lightly Asparagus, lightly cooked= 558 mg; 1/2 medium Avocado = 602 mg; 1 cup cooked Collard greens =468 mg; 3 oz. drained Atlantic Sardines = 501 mg; and 6 oz. Flounder=996 mg potassium.

11. Chef Rachel on June 19, 2009 at 12:36

Regarding fruit and its effects on the body relative to HFCS: whole fruits contain more nutrients and have fiber not found in isolated sugar and HFCS. The fiber rich whole fruit is more filling. Ditto for carrots, beets, sweet potatoes, winter squash. Who binges on those foods? Even bananas have a pretty natural stopping point compared to sugar sweetened foods.

What's the most amount of bananas, carrots, sweet potatoes, or beets you've eaten in one sitting? For a treat I've at times eaten 1 or 2 bananas in a sitting, slathered with nut butter and I've been satiated!

I have found that by focusing on protein, fat and fibrous veggies first, by the time I get to fruit at the end of a meal I don't want as much of it as I would have eating low-protein and low fat meals.

12. David on June 19, 2009 at 13:09

Thanks people for your responses. Much appreciated.
    I am in quite good condition, but not happy with BP. Based on my research I have
    decided to run an experiment to change the sodium/potassium balance (not that I
    use much salt anyhow. I was intrigued by the post (I think from Webster) about
    reducing 145/95 to normal in 10 days by focusing on potassium rich foods and
    that is what I have set out to replicate.

Cheers,
    David

13. Richard Nikoley on June 19, 2009 at 14:21

Not sure about blood thining, but I take botth CLO and Fish oil. 2 grams CLO and 3 grams fish oil per day.

14. Webster on June 20, 2009 at 16:35

I am basically just following Richard Moore's book "The High Blood Pressure Solution…". If you decide to read it, just ignore the anti-fat bias here and there! My current goal is to incorporate high potassium/sodium ratio into the paleo diet, which is not too difficult since I dropped all processed foods.

15. David on June 20, 2009 at 18:25

Hi Webster, thanks. I've flagged that as a title to obtain.
    What is your BP running at now and how long have you held it there?

16. Webster on June 22, 2009 at 06:39

Dave, I'd say in the last couple of months I never measure above say 127/86. Typical readings are around 123/83, now and then it's lower, down to 114/70. It'd actually gotten slightly worse after I cut on carbs-fructose in apples-bananas-potatoes-oranges-dates: before that I was averaging out 118/78. Also, I started eating much more seafood, meats, eggs and fermented dairy and they all have fair amount of natural salt, so that's probably another reason. That's why I'm quite interested in finding convenient (!) low-carb low-sugar sources of potassium.

17. Serina81 on October 1, 2009 at 00:44

Will flax seed oil do the same thing or do you have to have fish?

• Richard Nikoley on October 1, 2009 at 13:54

As a plant form of omega 3, it's ALA, not EPA and DHA, which is what
      we need. Only 10-15% of ALA gets converted to the animal forms, so,
      no, flax seed oil is not a good source.

• Serina81 on October 1, 2009 at 14:09

Thanks Richard. I'm trying to find ways to raise my cholesterol levels because they're so low. My triglycerides are 78, total cholesterol 154, HDL 76, LDL 62 and the ratio is 2. Not only are they on the low side for a normal person, but I have hypothyroidism which is supposed to cause you to have high cholesterol. I have low cortisol, low testosterone, low progesterone, etc. and my theory is that I don't have enough cholesterol to convert into these hormones. And of course, I have the concomitant fatigue, etc. that goes with it…

18. Eric on January 27, 2010 at 09:14

I had similar results after a stroke in early December, then I gave up all starches, grains, and sugars.

Before:
    triglycerides 890
    HDL ?
    LDL ?
    ratio 6.5
    total 300+

After 7 weeks on a paleo type diet:
    triglycerides 322
    HDL 18
    LDL 25
    ratio 4.3
    total 74

The Lovaza they prescribed probably helped some, but not that much. I’ve also never smoked or drank, so I’m still worried about why the triglycerides are so high.

19. alfredoe on February 24, 2010 at 08:46

As with any supplement, there are 2 things to keep in mind when you take fish oil, the dosage and the frequency. If one the 2 is not adequate you will not get good results.

In the case of fish oil there is not established dose it depends on several factors but in short, you should take at least 900 mg of omega 3 fats (EPA plus DHA form the label) every day. That is close to 3.000 mg of fish oil, depending on the fish oil you get. You have to take more if you are overweight, have high triglycerides, hypertension, diabetes, etc. Start with 6.000 mg of fish oil.

Pleas e read more than 50 benefits you can get from fish oil http://www.omega-3-fish-oil-wonders.com/fish-oil-benefits.html

20. Steven on May 15, 2017 at 16:37

I’m a hemophilia with high Triglycerides. Any supplement advice other than blood thinning solutions?