American Academy of Dermatology Issues Updated Position Statement on Vitamin D

First line:

No Safe Threshold for Sun or Indoor Tanning Exposure

<PLONK!>

It's like I live in the fucking dark ages. Here was my last shot out to these entrenched morons. And who could forget the dizzy little expert?

1. Kathleen Conway on July 15, 2009 at 12:23

I've had basal cell skin cancer, squamous cell skin cancer, and malignant melanoma. I don't know what to think any more about sun exposure as a primary way to get my daily vitamin D. I've read all your postings about it as well as Mark Sisson's posts. For now, I am obtaining vitamin D through food and supplements as well as some sun exposure several times a week while riding my bike. I do use sun block every day before going outside. Once you've had a big chunk of flesh removed due to malignant melanoma, I believe you would use sun block, too!

2. Asclepius on July 15, 2009 at 14:06

"It's like I live in the fucking dark ages."

One of the greatest opening sentences in paleo history!

😉

3. Dear AL on July 15, 2009 at 15:01

Guess I better start applying pancake batter on my kids.

4. Richard Nikoley on July 15, 2009 at 12:33

I just might, Kathleen. To me, however, the epidemiology seems to point to vitamin D deficiency as a more plausible cause of skin cancer than sun exposure.
    The whole debate strikes me as a bit a-priori, i.e., sun exposure –> sunburns –> skin cancer. It's all so pat, so seemingly obvious. But the skin is, in the end, another organ and it's quite possible (probable, even?) that the same sorts of things that kick off cancer there are the things that kick off cancer in other organs.
    And if so, then the same things that prevent cancer in other organs (god diet, adequate vitamin D) probably prevent it in the skin as well.
    On the other hand, supplementation is a good way to get the D, which is the most important thing.

5. Kurt G Harris MD on July 15, 2009 at 14:47

As with investing, in health there are some organizations you can learn to use as contrary indicators.

The American Academy of Dermatology seems intent on joining the American Heart Association and the American College of Cardiology on my "Do the opposite of what we say for best results" list.

6. Diana Hsieh on July 15, 2009 at 23:11

Next month: American Academy of Dermatology recommends burkas for women and men daring enough to venture out-of-doors!

7. Patrik on July 16, 2009 at 16:59

Aarararararggghhhhhh!!!!

Diana beat me to it! I was thinking mandatory burqas for all as well.

LOL.