Links and Quick Hits

~ Good science is done for a 20-yr study and the jury is in: Caloric restriction definitely extends life, and at a better quality (less disease) in monkeys. Fortunately, intermittent fasting just might do the same thing or even better.

~ Vitamin D and its bactericidal ("anti-bacterial") action. "Vitamin D, activated ergosterol, is bactericidal to tubercle bacilli, proteus, bacillus aerogenes, staphylococci and non-hemolytic streptococci in vitro and in vivo." Nice to have such great information coming out so that we can finally cure our ignorant stupidity with regard to the sun. Uh, wait…seems that paper was published in, uh…1946!

~ Free the Animal gets a plug on The Image Mentor. "One of the people who really influenced Kevin and me on our journey toward personal wellness is an old neighbor and friend, Richard Nikoley. He writes a very informative blog about eating natural foods and I highly recommend reading up on his posts for more information because he’s so passionate about this topic. It’s particularly changed his life like it’s changed ours." I made mention of Joseph Rosenfeld and his partner, Kevin, last February and they're still going strong. I can tell Joseph had to redo all his photos on his blog and image mentoring website. I've had a number of conversations with Joseph about men's clothing, food, decor and so on over the years. He really knows his stuff.

~ LalalalalaThe Good, the Bad, and the Ugly from Tom Naughton. The bad and the ugly focuses on the same "Original Sin" theme I always see: the path to good health is to make your meals fatless, artificial, tasteless & toxic. You're weak, you need punishment. That is the path to "salvation." Conversely, the good is the fat.

~ Newsflash cat owners: Cats are carnivores. Grains, rice and even vegetables have no good place in their diets.

~ NephroPal (Nephrology from a Paleo perspective) has a post on Vitamin K2. Punchline: it probably protects against arterial calcification.

1. Beastie Girl on July 10, 2009 at 12:51

Funny you should mention that cats are carnivores and have no business eating grains.

My kitty, Kees, was a damn handful. ALWAYS after attention and going under our bed at 1am, 3 am, 4am and 5:30 am and YOWLING until we lured him out and put him on the bed. We just put it down to him being deaf but it got SO OLD been woken up 4 times a night to yowling. Plus he was packing on weight and we couldn't figure out why.

About 6 months into following a primal diet, I finally twigged that perhaps the cat feels like sh*t due to his diet and is acting out. He now eats a grain free diet and has calmed down like WOAH. He's only desperate for attention if we're standing near his treat cupboard, and sleeps the entire night through on our bed. His fur is softer and he's just so much more easy-going. Instead of yowling for 20 minutes when he sees us, he just goes brr?, rubs on us a bit and goes and sleeps in his basket.

Grains suck so hard.

2. simona on July 15, 2009 at 01:38

This report about the rhesus monkeys should be read in conjunction with Sandy Szwarc's article on the subject.

3. Scott Miller on July 10, 2009 at 12:13

Been telling people for years that cats and dogs BOTH should not eat foods with grains, which just lead to a second-half life of poor health, arthritis, etc.

A great book about this:

See Spot Live Longer:

I feed my two cats these two non-grain brands: Evo and Instinct, and only canned food (to match the moisture content of live food).

My dog only eats non-grain free-range meats from New Zealand (I buy in the frozen section at Whole Foods).

4. Richard Nikoley on July 10, 2009 at 12:19

I feed my dogs the Evo, sometimes Instinct, plus they get a decent amount of meat & fat scraps from the table. Also give them the duck & chicken breasts, and desiccated beef, buffalo, and venison liver, and desiccated lambs lung (they love it). I also get lard from the Mexican market and they get a dollop per day, and sometimes some coconut oil.

I also give em a bit of CLO, salmon oil, D3, and K2 MK-4 1-2 times per week. My 10-year-old is leaner, more active, and naturally aggressive (he's unfixed) than when he was 5.

5. Joanne of Open Mind Required on July 10, 2009 at 21:02

When my cats were nine years old I switched them to raw pray (meat, bones, organs). Four of six are still with me at 16 years old. I have some others who have eaten raw prey since they were weaned, and they generally don't get sick. One got distemper when she was six months old but recovered in three days. (She's three now and hasn't been sick since.) None of the other 11 cats living in the home at the time got distemper despite the fact that none is vaccinated.

Everybody's coats are shiny and thick, they have clean teeth, and their feces are nearly odorless. Their feces also crumble into powder.

The farmer (Tracy) who supplies my pet food just lost her oldest Great Dane. She adopted her when she was seven and in poor health and switched her to raw prey. The dog died a couple weeks ago at 14 years old, which is TWICE the average life span of a Great Dane. Tracy has two other Great Danes, both in great health. One is 6-1/2 years old, and you'd never know the dog was on its last legs.

Commercial, dried pet food is as bad as eating Doritos, factory farmed hamburger and a vitamin/mineral supplement every day.

6. Richard Nikoley on July 15, 2009 at 12:41

I saw that.

While mortality is certainly an issue, so is quality of the life you do lead. This isn't the first time I've seen such photos. That said, I think IF is the way to go, anyway.