Real Results to Keep You Motivated

It’s happening all over. People getting lean almost effortlessly, devoid of gripping hunger; in short, enjoying themselves, feeling better about themselves, and looking better and better.

Frankly, it’s difficult for me to imagine these results being out of reach for anyone who really wants them. It takes such a short time to reach the "point of no return." For those having difficulties staying on the paleo path, keep in mind that virtually everyone who sticks with it for those first few crucial weeks actually comes to the point where it would be just as impossible to go back to the old ways, as it was impossible to achieve any meaningful and lasting results on all but a few other life ways out there (those that share critical elements with paleo, Primal, EvFit).

So, let’s jump right in. First up is my dad. He’s down now more than 30 pounds and at 71, is looking better and better. Here’s a funny picture from earlier in the week. Dad was in town and called late in the afternoon about stopping by for a visit. After a while, we went over to the pub for some dinner while Bea and some girlfriends were having their own dinner and card night. When dad & I got back, everyone started laughing and this picture got snapped. We were completely unaware that we were dressed almost identically.

richard nikoley dad
Richard Nikoley & dad

Dad sent this out in an email to family a few weeks back:

One side effect of loosing all this weight was reducing the size of shirts and pants I wear, not to mention belts. I did punch another hole in one belt, because I just bought this one less than a year ago. Used to wear extra large shirts, now I am down to medium (30 years since I’ve worn medium shirts). Pant size from 38 to 34. Bought 2 pairs of 36 about a month ago, and with no belts I can jiggle them right off of me, so now down to 34. That takes care of the summer stuff, but soon I’ll have to think about buying all the clothes for the colder season.

And, of course, I’ve highlighted mom a couple of times, and she’s still on track.

Next up, a former sister-in-law who has always remained in good contact with the family and also does a great job with my two nephews, Timothy and Jamison. Renee, who bought Mark’s Primal Blueprint on my recommendation and read it in a day or two reports:

Just thought I would give you a quick update on my Primal way of life. I started at 213. Wow, I was huge and now I am at 195. It has taken a few months but I feel a lot better about myself and my first goal is 180. I have already gone from a size 16/18 to a size 14. Thanks for all your blogs or posts or whatever you want  to call them.

Good for Renee. At this point, she’s probably already past the point of no return to the old ways.

Here’s another who’s well past the point; my friend and newly minted PhD, Diana Hsieh, who I previously profiled here. Go take a look at her photo progress there, and now check out her even greater progress in this recent shot of her and hubby Paul, an MD.

diana hsieh
Paul & Diana Hsieh

Diana has just posted about her first year of experience in the Paleo way.

I did not expect myself to stick so well to eating paleo, but I’ve found that I don’t miss the foods I’ve given up. I enjoy eating far more than ever before. Every meal is a wonderful opportunity to eat something incredibly delicious and satisfying. Plus, I’m no longer entranced by the thought of waffles or bread or pasta; I’d much rather eat bacon and eggs and brussel sprouts. Ordinary desserts are cloying sweet to me, and I often feel seriously unpleasant cravings for MOREMOREMOREMORE after indulging in a bite or two. By forgoing sweets as a matter of standard policy, I’m no longer beholden to the cookies in the pantry, as I used to be. Also, I find that preparing paleo foods has simplified my cooking. I spend less time cooking and shopping than before, and I waste less food too.

[…]

I’ve lost about 18 pounds, while also gaining muscle from short, intense weight training sessions. That’s a huge shift for me. Before, I was gaining three to five pounds per year eating the recommended low-fat, low-calorie, lots-o-grains diet while doing tons of long, boring cardio workouts. That’s all changed.

Then, there’s this comment from reader Valda Redfern in the UK.

I tried Atkins in 2000 and although I did lose about 20lb, I fell off the wagon and regained most of it. I think my problems were a) obsessing about the number of grams of carbohydrate I could get away with (how many slices of toast, how much pasta, how much pie, etc.) instead of concentrating on getting enough good quality nutrients; and b) not fully believing Atkins’s argument. About three years ago I started another attempt to lose weight, initially aiming simply to eat less. Because I wasn’t willing to cut out fats, though, I drifted into to a low-carb regime. All the reading I’ve done since then, on blogs like this one (thanks, Richard), has helped me adopt an enjoyable and convenient diet that has improved my health and enabled me to lose 35lb. I eliminated gluten-rich grains from my diet six months ago and don’t miss them at all, but I will occasionally snarf down favourite desserts when eating out (I never waste creme caramel opportunities).

You see, she drifted into a principled approach rather than the typical Atkins carb-counting approach. The principled approach is simply to eat real food. And, as she demonstrates, you don’t have to be a complete fundamentalist about this. But you’ll usually find that the big cheats come less and less. For me, it’s often the case that just a little bite is plenty.

Congratulations to all. Does anyone else have a progress update they’d like to share in comments?

1. Shmaltzy on July 19, 2009 at 04:20

Hey Richard,

Uncanny coincidence! I just posted an update on my progress on my blog ).

Just in the last 2 months, I lost 4 pounds of body fat while slightly increasing my lean body mass.

Conventional “wisdom”…bite me!

• Richard Nikoley on July 19, 2009 at 09:41

Great story. Another part of CW leads people to believe that they look just fine, but just as you did once going paleo, found that you were way fatter than your genes programmed you to be.

So, there’s really two big advantages. If obviously fat, one can bring the wight down, but then also there’s the real leaning out towards the end.

• Shmaltzy on July 19, 2009 at 20:21

“It’s really amazing how attractive almost anyone becomes when lean and muscular.”

Oooh yeah. I’m about to post on the missus’ progress soon. She’s pushing 40 next year and doesn’t look (and feel) a day over 25! Even after having 3 kids 🙂

2. Lute Nikoley on July 18, 2009 at 15:01

Right now I wish I could get rid of this achilles tendonitis, painful and hard to get around. Thanks for the glowing report. It’s fun.

3. Andrea W. on July 18, 2009 at 15:27

Hi, Richard. I’m an avid reader of your blog and I’d just like to say thanks for sharing your wisdom and personal experience.

I’ve been following a primal/paleo nutritional approach for about five weeks now and have lost 15 pounds. I feel so great, and I’m hoping that this sticks, as I am a notorious yo-yo dieter and emotional eater. The biggest success for me is that I seem to have conquered the intense cravings and insatiable appetite that plagued me for so many years. The only thing I’m having a hard time giving up is Diet Coke. I work for a restaurant company and we get free fountain beverages all day. I’ll get there eventually! Cheers!

-Andrea

• Richard Nikoley on July 19, 2009 at 10:02

Really cool blog, Andrea.

4. Real Results to Keep You Motivated | Free The Animal | Paleo Diet | if you do the paleo diet you need supplementing on July 18, 2009 at 15:53

[…] Original post by Richard Nikoley […]

5. Janice H on July 18, 2009 at 16:56

My husband and I started a primal way of eating about 6 weeks ago. We’ve both lost about 12 pounds. but more than that we agree that we’ve past the point of no return. You can’t research and read all of this info and then go back to the way we used to eat. We absolutely love eating now. We don’t stress about calories, weighing, counting carbs. We just follow the plan and it all falls into place. We do eat cheese which I would like to cut back on and just use sparingly. I see muscles coming through that I didn’t even know I had!! My trainer that I just started with doesn’t totally agree with my way of eating but I stood my ground and said this is what I eat now and I’ve never felt better! I can’t wait to see where this takes us as we progress with weight loss and health. Thanks for a great website Richard!

6. Andrew on July 18, 2009 at 21:17

I’ve been reading your blog for a while. I have been eating this way for a while with excellent results that have more to do with digestion, mood, and energy, and weight gain than weight loss. I fell off the wagon in an interesting way, I think, in that I haven’t changed the foods I eat but I changed the pattern in which I eat them. I’ve stopped doing short fasts, and feel much the worse for it. This led me to the website leangains.com, as well as the Warrior Diet. Have you come across either one of these plans, and if so what do you think of them? How often do you end up fasting? I understand where my mentality was when I stopped fasting: I’m underweight by about 20 pounds (5’10” 140lbs), and since I wanted to put on some weight, I thought that I’d try to eat more and more. This led to eating constantly.

• Richard Nikoley on July 19, 2009 at 09:57

I think that fasting is a huge part of the equation, and particularly for those who need to put on muscle. Seems counterintuitive, but animals that have to hunt and kill prey — as humans did — are designed to fast very regularly.

I’m certain there is a whole lot to this that remains to be discovered, but as with all things I try to isolate the underlying principle. If nature demands that you have to hunt for food then being hungry — sometimes very hungry — is perfectly in your nature and it’s actually the case that NOT having episodic hunger, combined with brief and intense activity is the UNNATURAL thing.

Turning conventional “wisdom” on its head, again.

So, yea, I fast, and usually twice per week and I end it with my workouts, eating anywhere from 2-6 hours after the workout.

I also think you should absolutely gorge yourself on meat, sometimes. So, rather than emulating animals that graze, eating virtually all the time, we’re emulating the big hunter who go hungry regularly, but then land a big kill and then eat themselves silly.

Its the natural way.

7. Diana Hsieh on July 18, 2009 at 21:50

Thanks so much for mentioning me: I like being a positive case study!

And wow, you’re looking awfully good yourself. What a change from those old pictures of you chowing down in that cafe! More than just the weight, you seem so much more comfortable in your body now.

• Richard Nikoley on July 19, 2009 at 09:48

It’s really awesome to see folks in their 30s & 40s who had begun that downward slide to flabby and unattractive.

That’s where I was, and you were headed there too, looking at your mugshot from before. But now you’ve gone and gotten yourself all hot there, Diana.

I’m sure that’s one reason Paul is smiling so much in that photo!

8. P.J. on July 18, 2009 at 22:34

Andrew,

I am familiar with both leangains and warrior diet. I think they are both ways of life that can work but I don’t like the routine aspect of both those approaches.

I think it is better to trust your body and feed yourself when your body is asking to eat.

I don’t know if you lift weights but I think lifting weights and going heavier is a good way to put weight on. Usually when I up the intensity of my workouts my appetite follows and I eat more. Just let it happen.

• Richard Nikoley on July 19, 2009 at 09:45

Andrew:

Actually, I began this journey a bit over two years ago, thinking I could do it with weights alone. While I did make progress (net 1 pound loss per month), it was slow. However, by chance I got with a trainer who advised 30 minutes of intense exercise, and only 2-3 times per week. I opted for two.

I blogged about it, and someone said it sounded like Art De Vany, and that’s where things really took off for me, once I combined proper eating with the weights.

I now lift 200-400% + more weight in all exercises, and I have never done more than 1 hr per week, and often less.

9. Natalie on July 19, 2009 at 01:22

This entry came along at JUST the right time.

I’ve ‘backslid’ on the whole Paleo/Primal way of eating, seeing my carb, wheat and sugar intake slowly escalate, and even though it’s still nowhere near what I used to eat, my body has been sensitised and I woke up this morning feeling about 100 years old, with an aching lower back, kidneys and guts. The fingers on my left hand are stiff and swollen, my eyes are so dry I can barely blink and I have zero energy. *sigh*

I’ve known about the paleo/primal lifestyle for 8 months now, and have seen no results because I never stick with it for long enough. I start seeing my weight drop, then I sabotage myself.

This article proves to me that it’s me, not the way of eating that’s doing it wrong, and there are results out there to achieve if you just work a little towards them. Thank you both for the post and the impeccable timing! 🙂

• Richard Nikoley on July 19, 2009 at 09:35

Give it a go, real low carb, basically meat & veggies only for 3-4 weeks, and see if you ever backslide significantly again. I’m betting you’ll reach the tipping point.

You’ll know when you get there and it may indeed take some people longer — maybe far longer — than others, but it’s definitely achievable.

Make sure to include as much meat as you can possibly eat. Those amino acids are the building blocks of all that brain chemistry, deficiencies of which are likely behind self-destructive behaviors like craving processed foods and sugar (as well as drugs and alcohol).

10. Aaron Blaisdell on July 19, 2009 at 10:13

I agree with you Richard, that there is a Point-of-no-Return after which I can never look at a plate of pasta the same way again. This proved itself to me a few days ago when our nanny made pasta and meatballs for dinner. I didn’t have a single shred of desire to consume even one itty, bitty piece of pasta. I went to the fridge instead, dug out some short rib I had braised a few days beforehand, and heated it in its own drippings on the stove for a few minutes. That and the vegetables the nanny cooked were all I ate and after a small plateful I was so full I couldn’t eat another bite. I remember the days of devouring a large plate of pasta only to immediately crave a second whopping plateful. And then ice cream and cookies for desert. I must have been one of those skinny fat types, because although at 5′ 11″ I always hovered around 145 lbs — not fat by any stretch of the imagination — I now average about 141 (occasionally 139, e.g., after a fast) lbs. and seem to have more muscle mass. The biweekly intense lifting (each session lasting about 20 minutes) seems to have a real impact now, too.

Now if I could only get my wife on board with the paleo lifestyle, she might see her tummy bulge disappear.

11. Sylvie Ouellette on July 19, 2009 at 13:33

Hi Richard.

I really wish I could agree with you when you say ‘It’s happening all over’. What I see around me is more and more people getting fat, diagnosed with type II diabetes, cancer, Alzheimer’s disease, etc.

The message we’re getting from the media is not helping at all, quite the contrary.

We need to get the word out! We need to give more exposure to people like yourself, Cordain, Sisson, Taubes, etc.

Anybody here got connections?

I switched to paleo eating over two years ago and dropped just over 20 pounds without even trying even though I didn’t have much to lose to begin with. I have started my own blog (in French – I’m in Montreal) but I still have to find ways to attract followers.

I hear paleo eating is gaining momentum in Sweden and there is quite a bit of info coming out of France, but the current USDA recommendations are like a train going full speed: not only do we have to stop it, but we have to get it to change direction and speed up again. How do we undo 50+ years of bad science reporting?

• Richard Nikoley on July 20, 2009 at 09:21

Sure, saying its happening all over is merely a relative statement, meaning that it’s happening all around me: family, friends, and readers of the blog.

I do believe the paleo lifestyle will gain in popularity.

12. Cailyn on July 19, 2009 at 21:20

“Frankly, it’s difficult for me to imagine these results being out of reach for anyone who really wants them.”

I can imagine that, easily. My husband and I (and most of our friends, at our urging) have been doing a hardcore low-carb/paleo diet since the beginning of the year. Everyone else has had fabulous success and reached their goals, but I haven’t lost a pound and feel tired and irritable all the time.

It’s *horrible* to know the right solution and still fail. By all evidence, I should be at my correct weight by now. We have spent all our free time researching the science, going to the doctor, getting blood tests, and researching some more. This has not been for lack of effort, but I have *nothing* to show for it. These last few months have taken a serious toll on my mental and emotional state.

It’s wonderful that this approach works for so many people with nothing else needed to succeed. And I really believe that this is the correct approach. But I’m guessing that I’m not alone and there are others who cannot get these results, no matter how few carbs or how much grass-fed beef they eat.

Your blog is really great and we love reading it. We just bought some Vibram Five-fingers for hiking based on your posts. But I had to say something, in case someone else is reading this, who, like me, has done everything right and has no results to share.

• Janice H on July 20, 2009 at 03:47

Cailyn that’s hard. As much as we hope getting lean is a benefit that happens with following this it doesn’t always come as fast as we want or at all. I know everyone will ask if you had alot to lose to begin with. Do your clothes feel looser?
      My husband and I have been doing this about 6-7 weeks and lost most of our weight in the first couple of weeks and now are both stalled. I do think we are making muscle though as I try on the same pair of tight jeans every Saturday and definitely can see a difference even though the scale isn’t moving.
      Maybe Richard has some ideas. We are also trying to look at what health benefits we are getting from this. Better skin, gerd is better, no canker sores, no swelling in legs.ankles etc. Hang in there and hopefully someone can post some ideas to get things moving.

• Janice H on July 21, 2009 at 03:56

Just wanted to update my own post!! I did cut out my afternoon snack of cherries and my huge lunch time salad. I was feeling bloated and just not good after both (go figure). I’ve added more fat and will try adding a small salad back in with some protein and fat and see how that goes. But I did break my weight stall this morning. At least I’ll know how to eat when I get to where I should be!

• Richard Nikoley on July 20, 2009 at 09:31

Thanks for sharing, Cailyn.

Absolutely, this must be approached honestly for the sake of everyone’s credibility.

Not knowing more about what exactly you’re doing, I’d say consider the following:

1. Stressing yourself out is probably not doing any good (cortisol, for example).

2. Maybe you need some episodic higher carb, maybe a couple days per week at 150-200g. I’d use potato for that (glucose), not fruit.

3. Have you done any fasting? If not, how about give it a try. Once you get used to it, how about 2 times per week, a full 24-30 hours between meals.

4. Doing any workouts, and what kind?

5. Have you looked into your thyroid function?

• Cailyn on July 20, 2009 at 16:52

I’ve been trying to fast occasionally for the last few weeks; I was told that it would help my high inflammation. I get extremely nauseous, like I’m about to vomit, then I get a headache and then a wave of exhaustion hits me and I have to nap for 2-3 hours. When I wake up, I have an unquenchable thirst and little energy or motivation to move; I’m also irritable and easily stressed out. If I don’t make it to the nap stage, I end up binging uncontrollably on whatever is nearby (luckily, my kitchen is only filled with healthy things!) My husband says that’s not how he feels when he fasts; he has plenty of energy and no nausea. I do try to only eat twice a day, though.

I used to have a great exercise routine, but for the last few months I’ve had to cut it back to walking 3-4 times a week and even then I have to force myself to do it because I just don’t have the energy. I had to stop weight-training because of how terrible I felt during and afterward. I wasn’t making any gains, anyway.

The current theory from my doctor, et all, is that my fat cells are not releasing fatty acids, which may be compounded by an exhausted adrenal gland, poor ketone usage, unnatural cortisol curve, and insufficient hormone production.

Guess I really shouldn’t have cut out all saturated fat and meat for a year, huh? (Ironically, I lost weight doing the wrong thing… but not the right thing!)

• san fran J(formerly Minneapolis J on July 20, 2009 at 18:57

Cailyn,

not sure what others would think about this, but I feel that if you cut your caloric intake, you’ll see weight loss and fat loss. At least in my case I cut 10 lbs. this summer by setting a calorie limit. Maybe you should try having a restricted amount of calories and see where that goes……just my take though.

• Richard Nikoley on July 21, 2009 at 15:02

Cailyn:

Have you looked into Lyle McDonald’s stuff, specifically the Rapid Fat Loss Handbook?

This is essentially a short-term low-carb AND low-fat routine. You eat mostly lean protein and leafy greens. He has you calculate how much protein to eat and let me tell you, I had a hard time. I was eating only 900-1000 cals per day and felt pretty full. This will really show you how damn satiating protein is.

Also, Dr. Eades has posted several times that in his practice if someone if not losing fat on a low-carb diet, the one thing that ALWAYS works is meat only, for a period of time until the body begins releasing fat.

So, there’s two similar approaches. Dr. Eades had no recommendations about avoiding fatty meat and 80/20 burgers are going to be a lot easier that the skinless chicken breasts, dry tuna, and 96/4 ground beef with the fat squeezed out that I was trying to get down.

I did Lyle’s for less than a week, couldn’t take it, and realized I didn’t really need it. I’d maybe try Eades’ aproach first for a couple of weeks, and if that doesn’t appear to be doing anything, give Lyle a shot.

• Cailyn on July 21, 2009 at 16:24

I’ve tried doing the all-meat approach- for two months, actually.

I should have been clear before- I’m not really looking for answers here. I have good doctors, but it’s going to take time to figure this out. I just wanted to point out that even low-carbing isn’t a magic bullet for everyone. It’s incredibly depressing, almost soul-crushingly so, to work so hard and be the seemingly only one not getting results from low-carbing and I just don’t want anyone else to feel this way.

• Richard Nikoley on July 21, 2009 at 18:56

Cailyn:

Ok, from your blog, I see you are on top and in control.

I wish you the best. I know you’ll find success. It may and is probably more a function of time & patience than anything else.

Don’t worry. Keep the stress hormones low.

• Richard Nikoley on July 23, 2009 at 15:02

Cailyn:

No doubt most or all of this are things you’ve considered, but just wanted to alert you to this new post from Primal Wisdom:

13. Anand Srivastava on July 20, 2009 at 02:54

Well this is not exactly a paleo case, but I too have lost about 15 pounds in the last 4 months. I am a mostly vegetarian. ie I cannot eat meat most of the time or even low carb, due to family considerations. My progress has been due to applying the paleo principles as far as possible.

I eat only eggs and milk in the morning. Lunch is some store bought chicken, vegetables, and fruits. Dinner is vegetarian stuff with grains.

I am now plateauing and I guess that is because I am eating too much. Basically, it is because of fixed eating times. If I could eat when I was hungry, then it would be better.

I am thinking of getting rid of my breakfast milk and lunch fruits. Lets see how that goes.

Sometimes I do a fast, and at other times I only eat grilled chicken in the dinner. That is a big help in keeping me lower carb.

I am hoping that more people can move to applying some paleo principles to their food. But it is difficult convincing people. Most are culturally vegetarian, and cannot even think of eating meat. Others have n’t had anything apart chicken all their life, and cannot think of trying another meat.

14. Brian Strow on July 20, 2009 at 03:51

I have been following the Art Devany / Paleo way on and off for about two years now, at first I was misguided in my belief of what paleo meant. I lost a lot of weight fast in four months and crashed because basically i was eating more Aitkens like, need fats.

Six months ago I gave it another try and my initial failure was an important learning tool, I have lost about 12kg and have levelled out now with another 5 to 10kg to go.

The 80/20 rule helps me from getting fanatical about it and now that I have learnt to eat more Paleo like foods I have only just started to dabble with IF. Weight loss has slowed but fitness has increased considerably which is needed in my work.

Caylin just sick to your guns and if you’re eating right it has to be some of the finer detail that you may be missing, i.e. exercise less with more intensity, eat more fats less often and don’t worry to much be at ease, it comes easy when all is in place it does not feel like hard work.

15. Stacy Nikoley on July 20, 2009 at 10:10

Richard,

Since we got back from the cruise, with much help and support from Jan, I am down from 223 (my all time high weight) to 205, next week at this time I should be below 200 for the first time in 5 years. I have not eaten one ounce of grain or sugar since our return from the family vacation. I feel great, and I had to start wearing a belt with the shorts (36” waist) that I just bought to go on the cruise.

I have to say I did struggle with the sugar addiction for the first two week, but I don’t even think about it anymore.

16. san fran J(formerly Minneapolis J on July 20, 2009 at 13:48

richard, Id say that the most recent pic is the best I have seen you look from all the pics you have taken. way to go!

17. The Secrets I've Used To Lose 30 Pounds... | 7Wins.eu on July 21, 2009 at 09:43

[…] Fast Fat Loss: Facts about Fat Loss 4 Idiots « Fast Fat Loss: The Facts About Fat Loss 4 IdiotsCasual Cute FAIL | Room 704Real Results to Keep You Motivated | Free The Animal […]

18. SassaFrass88 on July 21, 2009 at 13:43

Ok, I just HAD to comment on how stinkin’ cute your dad is!

Tell him that although I’m 33 and happily married, he looks fabulous to me and if I was his age, mom would have to watch out! 😉 He, he! Just kidding.

I’m sure glad you are motivating all of these people into tremendous health! A big pat on your back, Mr!

• Richard Nikoley on July 21, 2009 at 13:51

Ha! Well, given your pic on your blog, I’m sure this’ll make his day.

19. Thur, Jul 23rd – CrossFit Ireland - Great People. Great Fitness. on July 22, 2009 at 16:04

[…] Real Results from Real People – Free The Animal How to Be Awesome – The Art of Nonconformity […]

20. VN on July 27, 2009 at 00:07

Hi Richard,
    Thanks for the encouraging post and love the picture of you and your dad.
    Ive gone primal for a few months now, and loving it- less calorie obsession, and feeling satisfied with every meal.
    Im just wondering if you got your dad interested in paleo-style eating. Im currently having a bit of trouble converting my grain-and-dairy-loving family. Its difficult to reverse years of nutrition propaganda!

Awesome post. BTW I just checked out your food porn and am now salivating at my computer.

• Richard Nikoley on July 27, 2009 at 09:56

VN:

Well, nobody was particularly interested until they saw my transformation, and that I kept transforming, and they saw how deliciously I ate.

People become interested when you set an example.

21. jon w on July 28, 2009 at 10:24

I am 34, have been in the military since age 17 and always had pretty regular exercise, but after 30 my weight started to go up a few pounds a year. about 2 years ago I hit 200 and started crossfit and also started paying attention to carbs, and gradually increasing fat intake and eating cleaner (more paleo). when my family left for summer vacation I started fasting about once a week and cut out grains and milk (still eat butter/cheese/yogurt/cream). that caused me to drop 10 more lb pretty quick, which leads me to suspect gluten and/or lactose. I have settled around 177 lb, wearing a waist size I havent seen since high school, and even when fasting, my body easily produces the energy I need for any activity, endurance or short and intense. this stuff works.

my other big experiment of the summer is barefoot running. I have done up to 8 miles trail running barefoot, have never felt lighter and more energetic when running, and plan to run the honolulu marathon in Dec, training with a low-mileage/high-intensity program (crossfit endurance).

22. […] while Mike's success is on the upper end, rest assured that almost everyone can attain excellent results.SHARETHIS.addEntry({ title: "Gene Expression: Super Mike", url: […]