Bison New York Steak

Dinner last night for the wife & I (click to enlarge).

bison new york steak
Bison New York Steak

Two nice grilled-to-medium-rare bison steaks from Whole Foods, and some frozen broccoli prepared in a new way. I put the frozen veggies on a cookie sheet, along with a large dollop of coconut oil and placed it in the oven at 400. Some minutes later I was able to toss them, so as to distribute the oil, and then let it go for about 20 minutes, then finally about 3-5 minutes under the broiler to get the crispies.

The sauce was 2/3 beef, 1/3 chicken stock, a handful of blueberries about to go bad, and a pinch of rosemary, patiently reduced. I always get this started first and only when very near completion do I cook the steaks. Once reduced, I strain it, let the steaks rest a few minutes, and finally toss in the juices from the resting as the final step.

1. startbeingfit on August 25, 2009 at 14:36

Man that looks good!

2. Lute Nikoley on August 25, 2009 at 15:34

Did you eat that whole BIG STEAK all by yourself? I gave it the thumbs up. You can fix that for me the next time I'm in town, deal?

3. Mark Donkin on August 25, 2009 at 16:20

Richard,

I read your webpage regularly, just thumbed up as asked – glad to help in any way I can

4. -Brandon on August 25, 2009 at 15:23

We've been doing the same with broccoli on the grill in a basket w/ coconut oil. I think it might be easier to coat the broccoli in the baking sheet though.

5. KatMStrange on August 25, 2009 at 18:02

Yumm…That sauce sounds great! Do you make your own beef and chicken stock? Just curious b/c I just finished posting about stocks: (http://evolutioncatering.blogspot.com/2009/08/i…)

• Richard Nikoley on August 26, 2009 at 03:36

Kat:

Yep. On my phone right now but if you search beef bone stock on the
      blog, you should find it.

– Sent from my iPhone

6. Katelyn on August 25, 2009 at 21:46

The Trader Joe's bison steaks ARE really good. I cook mine just super rare and add some delicious organic butter, like Kerry Gold or President. Yum.

• Richard Nikoley on August 26, 2009 at 14:27

Didn't know TJ's had Bison. Well, I've got one a mere 5 minutes away, so I'll have to check. I've usually got them at WF.

7. Katelyn on August 28, 2009 at 15:58

Yeah, Trader Joe's has these bison steaks that come 2 to a package. Very good deal. Have you tried President butter, Richard? It is INCREDIBLE tasting! I put butter on almost all of my meat, as I need the extra calories for working out.