“Eat Stop Exercise” is a Despicable Rip-off of Brad Pilon’s EatStopEat

I fist made mention of Brad Pilon’s excellent work, EatStopEat way back nearly two years ago. And since then, I have blogged a whole bunch about intermittent fasting in general and have mentioned Brad and ESE many, many times. And, because I was so pleased with the results, I even gave Brad a testimonial which I’m proud to have displayed on his sales page (it’s the third from the last).

Ensuring that people get proper credit for their work and contribution is a really big issue with me.

Moreover, if you read the posts on IF, you’ll see that I have been very big into working out fasted, which will happen once again at 4:30 p.m., today, not having eaten since dinner.

So, guess what I see in my Google alerts this morning but links to articles by one Natalie Pyles of Scottsdale, AZ, who touts herself a "Fitness & Weight-loss Expert, Nutritionist, Wellness Coach, Author,& Speaker" (sic). I’ll just call her a shameless thief. Her website: Fitness Elements & Associates.

Now, see this page, touting her "Eat Stop Exercise" regimen, clearly a title rip-off from Brad, and since so blatant, one may rest assured that the e-book will likely be a word-for-word robbery. Why do I assume so (click to enlarge)?

Picture 1
A word-for-word rip-off from Natalie Pyles of a testimonial I gave Brad Pilon

Now, in case she decides to get cute with me, here’s the web archive file, in case anyone cares to download it for the record.

Well, any enterprise that operates by theft is a cheesy little endeavor, in my book. So, if you want to get the real info from the original source, then please do the right thing and get it from Brad.

Natalie Pyles: you should be ashamed of yourself.

1. aaronblaisdell on August 25, 2009 at 13:14

Good catch. I have zero-tolerance for plagiarism. I even reported a case of plagiarism in one of my student's papers in to the UCLA Dean of Students and they decided that she should not get credit for the course (and thus has to retake it, poor gal).

2. […] Original post by Free the Animal […]

3. jon w on August 25, 2009 at 14:26

wow. zero comments on her blog, so I doubt it's getting much traffic. but choose any random block of text and google it, it's all a cut and paste job.

4. davidmccracken on August 25, 2009 at 14:40

Richard,
    she is using your name without permission. Dump this in a lawyer's lap and tell him to get what he can for whatever percentage you agree to. Plagiarism is bad enough, but you also have a reputation in this field. When a person who knows of you sees your name on her site, it is taken that you endorse her. The lawyer can also seek a share of her profits. Obviously demand a written apology and that she remove all reference to you from her website.
    David

• Richard Nikoley on August 25, 2009 at 18:22

• davidmccracken on August 25, 2009 at 19:50

Makes sense. In the meantime I suggest that you think about placing a page on your website stating that you do not endorse this person, that you have never corresponded with her and that she copied a letter from you to Brad Pilon (who you do endorse). Provide a link to each site, the date you sent the letter to Mr. Pilon, and the date you found the misuse of your name.

You may also wish to advise other reputable people with a web presence to inspect this person's website to make sure she hasn't “borrowed” from them as well.

I figure if you write to her, she will see the risk to herself associated with using your name without permission and remove it. A person like this will just invent a testimonial to replace you. Sadly, when one finds blatant theft of this sort it is very easy to see a person's poor ethics. Getting her to airbrush you out protects your reputation, but leaves the disease in place to ensnare unsuspecting customers. It looks like she lives in Phoenix or Scottsdale. Perhaps letters to the local Better Business Bureaus are in order?

If you do get a lawyer, I'd go on a no-fee basis and let him make his money off the settlement. I sure wouldn't spend any money fighting this person,

David

• Richard Nikoley on August 26, 2009 at 20:51

Thanks, David.

All options are open, and I greatly appreciate your concern over my
      reputation, which wouldn't be warranted unless you are seeing what I
      intend to be seen in all of this. Thank you, sir. I saw your character
      way back when on “the trading floor,” and have never had anything but
      confirmation of my good judgment.

Right now, I'm waiting for the Google alerts to hit in the morning.
      Though, with those kind of business ethics, wouldn't surprise me if
      she didn't have any set.

Well, if not that, perhaps she looks at her own referral logs.

• Richard Nikoley on August 25, 2009 at 23:04

• Richard Nikoley on August 26, 2009 at 05:43

• Richard Nikoley on August 26, 2009 at 06:09

• Richard Nikoley on August 26, 2009 at 06:43

5. chrishighcock on August 25, 2009 at 16:14

What a theiving bitch

6. mmichael on August 28, 2009 at 17:06

Wow. That is pretty blatant. The sad part is that if she openly acknowledged that she is dependent on Brad's book she would probably have far more success. Concepts aren't copyrighted and neither are book titles, so with a little effort on her part she could easily promote and benefit from the concept.

By the way at one time I noticed you were using the CC license. Have you given that up?

7. How Not To Promote Yourself | Nutrition and Physical Regeneration on August 28, 2009 at 17:54

[…] link to the author of the website but you can find Richard’s post on the whole affair here (complete with […]

8. Matt on August 29, 2009 at 14:53

Why give Natalie links in your fourth and fifth paragraphs? Your readers are savvy enough to copy/paste/edit a slightly-off text URL if they wish to view the plagiarism.

• Richard Nikoley on August 30, 2009 at 10:50

It's just the way I roll, Matt.

I've never been into the criticize without linking rational, but to each his own, I suppose.

9. John on September 4, 2009 at 16:26

I would definitely report her to the FTC. They are cracking down hard now on sites with illegitimate testimonials.

10. Drew Baye on May 18, 2010 at 18:59

Unfortunately, this kind of thievery is very common. Google random blocks of text from any of your articles and there’s a chance someone with an SEO or affiliate sales blog or who is trying to sell their or product or service has ripped you off.

The best you can hope for is people will let you know when they come across them so you can report them to their web hosting company for copyright violation and hope they shut them down. Check out for ino on copyright on the web and what to do if your site is ripped off.