Free the Snow Leopard

This Friday (for you Mac heads, like me: a former 20-yr PC user who will never go back).

snowleopard
Snow Leopard

1. Name on August 25, 2009 at 19:57

Free the Snow Leopard… for $29

• Richard Nikoley on August 26, 2009 at 20:52

Yea, killer price, I say, for cutting the footprint of your OS by 50%.

2. Foliovision on August 25, 2009 at 20:27

Hi Richard,

As an old Mac hand, let me recommend to you not to upgrade this Friday. Wait for at least the first rounds of revisions. Each major OS upgrade will break some small but important things in many key applications.

You don't want to be on the bleeding edge. In fact, graphic design studios have to remain at least six months behind, as they can't afford the down time waiting for patches from Adobe among others.

if you have a second computer or a spare external FireWire drive, then by all means. But on your main machine, patience will be rewarded.

• Richard Nikoley on August 26, 2009 at 14:23

Thanks Alec.

I'm just a glutton for punishment. 🙂

• Richard Nikoley on August 26, 2009 at 20:53

Yea, perhaps.

But I'm an early adopter. I just can't wait. 🙂

• Foliovision on August 27, 2009 at 10:28

In that case, make sure you clone out your working Leopard install onto a FireWire drive (recommend SuperDuper! paid or free, I own it and use it many times/week).

That way if something just won't run on Snow Leopard, you'll be able to boot from the FireWire drive when you need to run that app. If you get lucky (you'll know in about a month) then you can put that backup back into regular rotation.

Let us know how it goes!

3. Mike Gruber on August 25, 2009 at 21:48

I like Linux on ThinkPad hardware, been running Linux for about 15 years now. But I have my wife on a Mac.

• Foliovision on August 27, 2009 at 16:53

Linux is great but too tough for multimedia multitaskers (I know, I tried with motivation). Costs of cross-training turn out to be pretty high for a group smaller than ten people (probably the efficiency point).

Microsoft and Apple were both very clever to pursue a grab them when they were young policy.

4. StephenB on August 26, 2009 at 16:50

Unfortunately I have a PPC G5 …

• Foliovision on August 27, 2009 at 17:58

Hi Stephen,

The G5's are great machines and Leopard is an absolutely excellent OS. Nothing to worry about – just enjoy your computer until you are ready to upgrade.

In terms of performance, the white Macbook keeps up with a G5 dual processor desktop, so upgrading isn't too expensive and you can go portable while you are at it.

• Richard Nikoley on August 27, 2009 at 20:28

Two years ago, I replace three powerful PC boxes at home, office &
      vacation home with a single MacBook Pro (running the 30″ Cinema
      Display at home). I subsequently switched that out with the newer MBP
      solid machined alumminum block (and the new LED cinema display at home).

Anyway, I now love operating off a single power notebook. With the
      ability to integrate a large flatscreen, I can't think of a better way
      to go.

– Sent from my iPhone

5. Conrad on August 28, 2009 at 09:23

I see there are alot of pro-mac comments. I'm a PC user myself; why should I switch over?

• Richard Nikoley on August 28, 2009 at 12:38

Well,I switched almost two years ago and I'd never go back. Because of my very positive experience, both my mom & dad have switched, as well as two brothers. I don't think they'll be going back either.

I used to pride myself on being able to spend a whole weekend narrowing down and fixing some problem with a PC, hardware or software, but usually the latter. Now, I just focus on getting stuff done. I don't want to “use a computer.” I want the computer to get out of my way so I can get things done. That's what Macs seem to be good at.