Julie & Julia

I saw the film last evening.

Before she changed the world, Julia Child was just an American living in France.

– Julie, in narration

Ah, I identify with that, for, we had a thing in common. I lived in France for a couple of years. And, while being functional in the language upon arrival (such as was Julia’s diplomat husband upon arrival — I went to one of the same schools as they), I was pretty damn fluent in reading and conversation (not writing) about six months in — enough to hold my own at a French dinner party lasting hours. I got invited to dinner parties a lot, and even put on a few myself. Do that, for French people, and you’ll never have fear or trepidation in cooking for anyone.

A French dinner party is either done right — simple, actually — or just not done. It’s critically important. Elegance is appreciated. Simplicity and logic from top to bottom: a must. I just now realized this: it’s easy to refer to a French dinner party as logical. Not sure why, but it fits, and it’s the first time I ever realized it. [Afterthought: the elegance is the simplicity and logic of it all.]

Moving on, it’s not quite a stemement for a paleo diet. It is a statment for the absolute love of Real Food. If you love food, go see it and feed your soul.

And now for the funny. With great applause on my part, they managed to skillfully work in the Dan Akroyd classic SNL Julia Child skit.

1. George on August 19, 2009 at 00:22

Did you listen/wath aleady:
    Among other things I find especially interesting is that another authority gives this lecture!

• Richard Nikoley on August 20, 2009 at 18:31

George:

Thanks for passing that along (it's in my email inbox). Haven't watched it yet, but it's in my very long to-do queue.

(you might have meant to post this on the sugar /cancer post — feel free to post the link in comments on that post too)

2. rnikoley on August 20, 2009 at 14:43

A test of the new DISQUS commenting system.

3. Nan Barber on August 20, 2009 at 17:00

Interestingly, Aykroyd was way off. Julia was always dead sober when she did her shows. Even that glass of wine that she raised at the end of some episodes was water with Kitchen Bouquet food coloring!

• Richard Nikoley on August 20, 2009 at 21:27

Hmm, I'd never seen it as her being tipsy but just a parody of her
      very quirky (delightfully so) personality.

– Sent from my iPhone

• Richard Nikoley on August 20, 2009 at 22:16

Hmm, I'd never seen it as her being tipsy but just a parody of her
      very quirky (delightfully so) personality.

– Sent from my iPhone

• Nan Barber on August 21, 2009 at 20:33

I agree Aykroyd's portrayal was delightful and hilarious — a tribute!! If it propagated the tipsy aspect and prevented people from getting to know the real Julia, that would be a shame.

I had my own Julia sighting. I worked for a Whole Foods store when it opened up near her home in Cambridge. My parents had taken a cooking class at her home (cooking is their hobby) and made me promise to tell her they said 'Hi' if i saw her in the store. Well, I knew she had no reason to remember them, and I get nervous around celebrities anyway. But when she did come to the store I came through — I smiled and marched up and introduced myself and told her my parents said “Hi.” She asked me if I worked at the store and then said, “Well, it's a WONderful STOre”!

A close friend of mine also took a class at her house, and snuck into her basement. She found thousands of cookies and baked goods on shelves covered with cloths. Later, we deduced that she had baked them for some sort of event.

• Richard Nikoley on August 21, 2009 at 21:06

Wow. What a wonderful experience and memory you have the distinct
        priveledge of keeping, and recounting.

I advise that you do it often.

• Nan Barber on August 22, 2009 at 20:35

Thanks for appreciating my memories! I'll keep commenting here!

4. Nutrition and Physical Regeneration » Julia And Me on October 2, 2009 at 22:52

[…] America but not so much in the land whose cooking style made her famous. You can read a few posts here, here, and […]

5. Julia And Me | Best Recipe on October 30, 2009 at 15:04