My Beautiful Wife Progresses

I should tell you that she objected to the montage.

That’s not fair. In the first one, I look like I just got out of bed. In the second one, I was all dolled up!

So, if that’s what you think too, then blame me and not her!

A bit over a year ago, as Bea had been following my diet somewhat, and then began a resistance training effort, I decided to snap a photo for reference. The one to the right is a crop from her Big 5-0 birthday party Saturday night.

Bea Nikoley 15 month Comparison
Bea Nikoley 15-month Comparison

Those who know what they are looking at will definitely understand what’s going on here. paleo / Primal / EvFit always has the same effect, and that is to reset a person’s physical attractiveness — particularly around the face, neck, and shoulder — back 10 years and more.

Alright, just to make it a more fair comparison, here’s a shot from 21 months ago, December 2007.

Bea Nikoley
Bea Nikoley & Nanuka

See how much more rounded she is in the face, and far wider neck? And here’s an iPhone shot from the party.

Candid Bea Nikoley
 More Bea Nikoley

I’d say she’s about 80% paleo. But her results have been accelerating of late, and that’s why I’m posting this. What’s happened? Well, there are a number of developments, so I suspect it’s a combo.

She eats way more meat owing to the tasty sauce reductions I make. Until then, she would never eat more than three or four ounces of a steak. Now, she’ll easily handle eight ounces and more. This, of course, has the double effect of replacing carbs or other junk she’d have otherwise eaten, as well as satiation. Like me, she never eats an early breakfast. She eats when she’s hungry and that almost never happens before 10 am. She has also discovered the wonderful world of coconut fat in the curries I make with coconut milk; and then there’s the coconut oil, and her spoonfuls of coconut butter. On the workout front, she had added to her two resistance sessions per week some classes down at the gym: aerobics with weights, pilates, yoga, and some martial arts thingy she likes.

Whatever it is, it’s working.

To those friends & family readers of the blog who attended the party, thanks for honoring her as you did. Here was the setting for the roughly 100 folks in attendance.

Beas Big 5 0
Beas Big 5 0

1. Web on September 14, 2009 at 16:55

Pretty Neat,

I believe that my wife Lindsey owes a lot to her switch to Paleo for the 2009 CrossFit Games. She finished 5th after two short months of strict paleo dieting.

Web Smith
    CrossFitChron.com

2. Julie on September 14, 2009 at 19:49

Bea looks phenomenal! She could EASILY have passed for turning 40. Thanks for having us the other night, we loved celebrating with you both!

3. Krys on September 14, 2009 at 11:17

Awesome pics Richard! You have a beautiful wife! And thanks to your lifestyle changes, you two will have many more happy years together.

4. Aaron Blaisdell on September 14, 2009 at 12:55

Let's hear it for the girls! I'm trying to get my wife to live more paleo/primal. Her diet is sure getting more paleo, but she still resists resistance training.

5. taddy on September 14, 2009 at 17:30

I am soooooooooooo proud of Bea, she looks wonderful and so do you.

6. Bob r on September 14, 2009 at 20:09

“To those fiends & family readers …”

I'm betting you really meant “… friends …”.

The last two photos really show the improvement. Bea's looking pretty damn good.

7. Chris3 on September 15, 2009 at 01:59

Richard – your wife does not look 50. I agree with the previous poster that she looks more like 40. She should be proud of her achievement!

8. HenricoOtto on September 15, 2009 at 08:44

I hesitate to make this comment, because it is meant as a general observation but might be mistaken for a personal one. But . . . I think a lot of Paleo before and after shots (including yours and your wife's) show two things (i) peple lose weight/gain muscle; (ii) people look older, though I think better. Another observation, those who post and comment say the opposite of (ii). But I think if you were to ask a random sampling of people, with a pile of pictures “which is older/younger” you'd find that the post-Paleo comes out looking older. Now of course, the people ARE older because it is after a period of time, but they do look it and more than the year or so, i.e., I think Bea looks more than 15 mos. younger in the before photo.

I think the simple explanation is probably best. A fat face is fat gives (for a while) a more youthful look, and/or going from a fat fact to a thin one makes you look more aged because the skin does not adjust.

9. monicahughes on September 15, 2009 at 14:48

Wow, she looks so great! This has inspired me to up my game wrt physical fitness. The diet is basically there and has been for a long time, but I'm no longer going anywhere with weight loss/body comp. with diet.

10. yummyg on September 15, 2009 at 18:48

She looks gorgeous! Happy birthday to Bea!

11. Bea on September 16, 2009 at 03:55

Thanks everyone. The best part is that I'm feeling better than I did 10 years ago. Paleo rocks! Thanks for your encouragement and the wonderful meals my sweet husband.

12. Nancy_R on September 16, 2009 at 13:04

Pictures don't lie. Bea looks fantastic. My best friend is 50 as well and I can assure you that Bea is rocking it compared to her. In fact, Bea is rocking it compared to most 50 year old people. What a great way to greet turning 50 years young!

• monicahughes on September 16, 2009 at 16:17

Hell she is rocking it compared to some 30 year olds and 20 year olds. 🙂

13. erna on September 30, 2009 at 13:03

Bea – utiful 🙂

14. iisierra on January 9, 2010 at 10:50

She looks absolutely beautiful and confident! Great job!