“I Know It’s Just a Memory; Some Memories Last Forever”

A Ponderable, For Sure

While I contemplate and pick at a couple of other posts for a day, or 2, 3… out, here’s some early, very Deep Dish rock for you. It’s Rush, 1976 live, Lakeside Park.

The video is primitive but gets better. The band is quite unpolished at this point. Geddy’s vocals are by far the weakest element (but later to equal guitar and drums). I have a number of later versions of this song and they get way better — more polished on every element. OK, so everything gets going at around 1:20. At 2:00, even better and by 2:45, we’re in full swing.

The title of the post comes in at 3:20, which ushers in a full minute closing of nothing but instrumental; and the good thing about that, is that it’s pretty much just as good as anything later.

Enjoy.

1. Owen on October 24, 2009 at 16:34

Cheers Richard, great stuff.
    I’ve spent the past week immersed in their ‘Vapor Trails’ cd which is a stunning piece of work.
    It was their first recording after Peart’s hiatus following the tragic loss of his wife and daughter. He basically hit the road for 2 years up and down the North American continent just to keep moving and try to leave it behind.
    I highly recommend his book ‘Ghost Rider’ which chronicles the tragedies and his recovery. He’s a fantastic writer.

Owen

• Richard Nikoley on October 25, 2009 at 08:34

I’ll check it out. I’ve got pretty much all the pre-80s stuff, and I’d have to say that “Caress of Steel” is my favorite album.

2. shel on October 25, 2009 at 09:14

everything from Moving Pictures and earlier for me. Permanent Waves and Caress of Steel are my favorites (that studio drum solo on Didacts and Narpets? wow).

Peart is probably the only one of his kind to rebel against the glib, default socialist mutterings of mainstream rockstars. the press he got in Europe was brutal. they labeled him a “cryptofascist” because of his admiration for Ayn Rand.

3. Trish on October 25, 2009 at 10:33

All this and you’re a Rush fan too. Even if you did misspell Geddy’s name. 😀

I’m of the “Moving Pictures” generation–it came out when I was a sophomore in high school and it seemed like everyone owned it. Having a Rush fanatic boyfriend in college caught me up with the rest but I never saw them live until the “Vapor Trails” tour. It was worth the thirty year wait!

I echo Owen’s recommendation of “Ghost Rider,” but Neil’s three other books are excellent as well. “The Masked Rider” recounts his bicycle trip through Cameroon; “Traveling Music” continues the trip he’s on in “Ghost Rider” and “Roadshow” is a behind the scenes look at Rush on tour.

• Richard Nikoley on October 25, 2009 at 10:54

Thanks for the spelling catch, Trish.

I’ll have to look into some of these recommendations and look more closely at the newer music.

My intro to the band came in around ’82 in college.

4. Chris on October 27, 2009 at 14:43

Great stuff. From 2112, through Fly by Night and Caress of Steel to Power Windows Rush are fantastic