Lazy Ass Leftovers

News: Today, Free the Animal surpassed 50,000 visits and 90,000 page views in a month for the first time ever. Story to follow on Sunday or Monday, plus, a substantial post I’m working up about a research doctor in New Zealand who still doesn’t get it. jimmy moore has his hands in both of those stories. Stay tuned. in the meantime…

This should take only a few minutes. First, get your leftover spaghetti sauce going on low, covered, & be patient. No use in causing excessive oxidative damage in reheating.

Separately, get an omelet pan going with lots of butter. Get the pan very hot first, add the butter, turn the heat medium low and let the butter get past bubbly to slightly brown, toss in the eggs & stir. Even in a stainless pan without non-stick, they shouldn’t stick. Flip the omelet when ready, keep it open face, add sauce & freshly ground parmesan, and you have yourself dinner.

Spaghetti Sauce on an Omelet
Spaghetti Sauce on an Omelet

The spaghetti sauce was the same basic recipe as here, except I used the very last pound of my brother’s venison kill instead of ground beef. A couple of nights before, I put it over spaghetti squash, like in the former link, right above. Delicious.

1. Grok on October 30, 2009 at 16:34

Right up my alley!

2. troglodytemignon on October 30, 2009 at 16:49

Hi,

I discovered your blog a couple of days ago and i’ve spent all my free time going backwards and reading every post! You rock!

Every recipe looks great. I even love when you get nasty political on some people’s asses (plus I agree with you in those matters).

I’ll stop sucking up now, keep it up!

Now I wish anyone reading this could give me pointers on a semi-off topic problem: how do I make my 20 month old girl eat meat?? She hates it all. Anyone with experience in that area has any idea? (I have no idea if you Richard had kids).

• Richard Nikoley on November 1, 2009 at 13:10

Thanks for the kind comments.

While I don’t have kids myself, I grew up as one with three younger brothers and then there’s the slew of nephews & nieces, now.

What I think is that hunger is probably the most powerful human drive, and we don’t allow ourselves to exercise and experience it very often. I once saw a news magazine program where some child-eating disorder experts cam into a home where the kids would eat nothing but junk like burgers, hot dogs & pizza and would throw a fit unless they got it. Inside of two weeks they had the kids eating spinach & brussels sprouts. How?

1. Food was only served at mealtimes.

2. All food was pretty much real food.

3. All the kids were offered everything, but were free to eat whatever they wanted, leave what they didn’t, or eat nothing at all with no pressure either way.

4. If hungry, they had to wait to the next meal, repeat 2 & 3.

5. Don’t make a big deal when they do try to sample something. Let them judge for themselves.

Now, 20 months is probably far too young for something like that, but you might experiment with delaying a meal or feeding a few hours, or skip a meal altogether so she gets a good hunger going, offer only meat, and see what happens.

Let us know.

• troglodytemignon on November 1, 2009 at 17:44

Thanks for the advice! It makes sense. Mothers get stressed out fast, etc.

I’ve been eating relatively strict primal for a year (and on-off since years ago, actually when Ray Audette got that book out) and never been so healthy….
        and curiously my mood is very different now, I don’t recall if you ever did a post on that topic but my whole mindset has changed going from a very fatalistic pessimist angle to someone who literally laughs at cartoons…it’s like my head got rinsed out too.

I’ll practice your tips and will be back with news.

• Grok on November 1, 2009 at 18:24

No kids either, but I second this: “Inside of two weeks they had the kids eating spinach & brussels sprouts” 100%. I’ve seen quite of bit of info about this also.

Plus, did anyone else have parents who gave you something and if you didn’t eat it… well then you just didn’t eat? My parents were also timer setters. Ha-ha.

Parent’s buckle in way too easy these days. I saw/see the following happen with my much younger siblings, nieces and nephews and friends with kids:

*Kid cries* – “Ok, here’s your Lunchable or Ramen noodles [insert any other frankenfood]. Shut up now.”

3. Trish on October 30, 2009 at 17:35

You mean Jimmy “I Never Met A Frankenfood I Didn’t Like” Moore? The one who’s been steadily gaining weight eating said frankenfood and figuratively stamps his feet and sticks his fingers in his ears going LA LA LA LA I CAN’T HEAR YOU if he’s called on it? The main reason I love this blog is because you cut through the bullshit but yet you support this jackass? It makes me sad.

• Bill on October 31, 2009 at 05:57

“It makes me sad.”
      Me too.

• Richard Nikoley on October 31, 2009 at 11:03

Trish:

Well, the last thing I’m going to do is play “fundamentalist shiite paleo.” There’s far too much real bullshit out there to attack than wasting my time and efforts attacking those in the generally good eating categories of paleo, primal, zone, low-carb, EF, etc.

Sure, I have commented negatively about Atkins and Zone…

…but I’m not going to waste time and energy getting on Jimmy’s or anyone else’s case publicly because their diets are not optimal (and in some cases are harmful). I’ve told Jimmy privately what I think, and also about the source of his wife’s health problems.

And besides, it would be very difficult to rate Jimmy’s podcasts as anything but a phenomenal value. I think that 80-90% of his interviews are huge values.

Jimmy is an avenue, as are many others, to improved health for many, and many or those go on to become paleo eaters and promoters.

So, I think ya ought to lighten up a bit and focus on what’s really killing people. It aint Jimmy Moore. He is helping and benefitting a lot of people, imperfect as it may be in your eyes.

• Trish on October 31, 2009 at 12:18

Point taken. I guess maybe he’s a starting point for some people but at the same time I don’t like his tactics and that makes it hard for me to take him seriously. The Kimkins fiasco was the final nail in the coffin.

4. Jimmy Moore on October 31, 2009 at 12:25

Trish, I can appreciate the concerns you’ve expressed about me, but it is truly unfortunate that assumptions are made about me personally and my work on behalf of low-carb living that are purely based on conjecture and innuendo. My objective has never been to be the perfect example for people to follow and I’ve said as much many times. What I do is provide information for people who are curious about the low-carb way of life and encourage them to continue doing their own research at sites like Richard’s and others to decide what is best for them. The whole demonization of personalities that you just don’t happen to like is not productive in promoting the overall message of livin’ la vida low-carb. And that is what should make you sad more than anything. THANKS for your comments!

5. Trish on October 31, 2009 at 12:59

Nice try, Jimmy, but I was there during the whole Kimkins thing (not commenting, merely reading) and I’m surprised you didn’t hurt yourself with all that rapid backpedaling when the truth started coming out about Heidi Diaz. No conjecture, no innuendo, YOUR OWN WORDS hung you in my eyes. In the interest of not jacking Richard’s blog please address any further concerns with me to my e-mail (mandalay_va@yahoo.com) rather than here. THANKS!

6. Jimmy Moore on October 31, 2009 at 13:00

That’s fine, Trish. People have had their own opinions about me good or bad ever since I started blogging online and those who disagree aren’t compelled to read my blog or listen to my podcasts. THANKS for your comments!

• Trish on October 31, 2009 at 15:33

And they don’t. THANKS!

7. Jimmy Moore on October 31, 2009 at 16:24

Trish, this is precisely the kind of divisive talk I am talking about that is unproductive in advancing the message of livin’ la vida low-carb. Thankfully, the more than a quarter-million people who read my blog and listen to my podcast show each month support the bigger picture of advancing the positive message of low-carb living rather than remaining mired in the insignificant and pettiness of individual differences. Thanks again for sharing your thoughts, but I’m pretty sure Richard will affirm everything I have written here.

• Grok on November 1, 2009 at 03:29

I think you do a good job Jimmy. Sure there’s things I don’t like, but I just take from it what I want. Good grief! What a concept! Is that so hard? I’ve seen similar comments about Dr. M Eades and his “personality” (some on your blogs) so you’re in good company. I’m with Richard thinking a better chunk of your stuff is very informational, especially for the masses.

Anyone who wants bash of my diet or personality… put your money where your mouth is and make the information about your train wreck diet (that you think is perfect) available for public viewing. Come back and put a link on Richard’s website so his thousands of viewers can see how full of crap you really are.

8. Jimmy Moore on November 1, 2009 at 03:43

THANKS for your support, Grok! It’s bad enough we have to deal with the low-fatties, much less people who supposedly agree with us for the most part. Keep on keepin’ on, buddy!