Steak Ftites

…And, how looks can be deceiving.

Before we get to the Steak Frites, how does this look?

Poached Cod in Coconut Milk Relish
Poached Cod in Coconut Milk & Relish

Not bad, right? And I’ve done this before. …Well, upon looking at that link, I guess I must have been trying to get by cheap on effort this time.

It showed, because this dish was awful. I overcooked it (fish was rubber), I didn’t have red onions so I used yellow, and far too much. Our eyes were watering. I also used fresh garlic, a whole clove — way too much; or, maybe leave out the garlic altogether.

But you know what? This is the only way you get better: dissapointment.

Embrace not failure, but the reality of failure and the opportunities for an improved reality it brings. -Me

OK, maybe that’s a bit melodramatic for ruining a dinner… So, just don’t be afraid to ruin a dish. Choke it down, or reschedule your weekly fast.

Here’s the one I did the next day to redeem myself. Steak Ftites. The sauce is a reduction of a new batch of bone broth, this one having quite a lot of lamb bone scraps. I did the fries in half grassfed beef tallow from drippings from the ground beef of the last meatza, and half coconut oil.

Steak Frites
Steak Frites

The steak is a grassfed New York strip from La Cense. I did them in the skillet & deglazed with the broth.

The fries are "twice fried." You first do them until limp, but not brown. Remove them to a mesh strainer over a bowl and let them sit for 5-10 (time not to important) as you reduce the sauce and the steaks are in the warm oven with the door cracked open.

Then fire the oil, and when hot, reintroduce the fries. They’ll brown up in no time. Remove to the mesh for a very quick draining, then dump into a brwn paper bag, add a dash or two of sea salt, crimp the bag and shake.

1. Grok on October 8, 2009 at 20:18

All look eatable to me (but thats not saying much). 😉

2. Stephanie on October 9, 2009 at 00:25

The steak looks delicious! Are those real potatoes?

• Richard Nikoley on October 9, 2009 at 07:15

Yep, real potato, about 2/3 of a medium baking potato for each portion. But, they’re fried in tallow & c-oil. So, a bit of carbage, but otherwise OK. I don’t seen to have to keep carbs ultra low, anymore.

3. gallier2 on October 9, 2009 at 03:16

A propos garlic and fries. Did you know they go extremly well together? Cut a little bit of garlic in cubes and put them raw in the dish in which you’ll serve them, mix it with the salt. It gives a little perfume that goes really well with the fries.
    It’s an old recipe from my mother and nobody who ever tasted it didn’t like it (even my father loved it and he was from northern Germany where garlic was an exotic plant till the ’70s)

• Richard Nikoley on October 9, 2009 at 07:17

There’s a German Pub within walking distance of me, Gordon Biersch, that has been serving garlic fries for years. Of course, I rarely have fries in restaurants, not so much because of the carbs but because of what they are likely fried in.

4. mamaholler on October 9, 2009 at 05:41

Ha! That fish dish LOOKS fantastic. Sorry it was disappointing. I never use recipes and am always learning from my mistakes! Mmmm… Happy eating.

5. warren on October 9, 2009 at 06:27

my local Belgian brewpub has this on their menu and it goes real nice with a good belgian style brew. High in carbs but well worth it.

6. g on October 10, 2009 at 14:10