Bavette, Bone Stock Reduction & Sweet Potato Fries

Thanks to Mark Sisson for alerting me to this cheap but, oh so kind cut of beef. The bavette (flap steak). Funny. I just wasted like 10 minutes trying to find it on his blog to link to it before I realized it was in his Insider newsletter.

But I wasted no time in securing some. I was due to make another order to La Cense, and so I got four of them. Tonight was the first.

Bavette or Flap Steak
Bavette or Flap Steak

It’s just seasoned with some salt, pepper and garlic powder, then onto the grill on high. In the meantime, sweet potato fries in coconut oil & lard and a reduction of some fresh bone stock which I now have plenty of.

Bavette and Sweet Potato Fries
Bavette and Sweet Potato Fries

I must say that if you are considering going grassfed, this is a particularly nice cut, as is hanger and flank steak. Really great flavor, fast to cook, versatile (think fajitas) and tender.

Well, almost finished with part II of my saturated fat series. That should go up within hours.

1. Grok on November 16, 2009 at 10:39

It really does look like a nice cut of meat. Usually belly meat is pretty good stuff.

2. Aaron Blaisdell on November 16, 2009 at 10:50

Yeah, I’m going to have to ask my grass-fed beef vendor for some on my next visit. I make sweet potato fries pretty regularly, too, and with my bone stock to boot, so it should be quite doable.

3. Marc Feel Good Eating on November 16, 2009 at 11:30

Richard,

Bavette is wonderful! I did a post a while back (http://feelgoodeating.blogspot.com/2009/02/cilantro-basil-and-garlic-chimichura.html)
    And I was amazed how good it was. My dad tells me it used to be on most menus in Paris, not so much anymore. I wonder why. I have not found Bavette other then from LaCense.
    I’m going to have to try making some fries your way, they look delicious.

Marc

• Richard Nikoley on November 16, 2009 at 11:40

Looks great, Marc. I just had the cold leftovers, no sauce, alongside an omelet with cheddar cheese. I was very impressed with how excellent, tasty, meaty it was cold.

The other great thing is that the four packages I got were all substantial, probably at least 16 oz (for $14.50) while the flanks, hangers, etc, are both significantly more expensive and the sizes seem to vary greatly.

4. Ryan Koch (Health Matters to Me) on November 16, 2009 at 12:24

I just had sweet potato (yam) fries last night — fried up in coconut oil. I use Louana brand oil from Walmart for my deep frying needs. Somehow using extra-virgin coconut oil doesn’t seem economically sustainable for me. 🙂

Tasty stuff. Thanks for the post Richard!

5. Low-Carber on November 16, 2009 at 12:25

Hi, i have a question. Do you think that the less carbohydrates we eat in the day, the easier it will be for us to burn fat? and to get more muscular? I mean can we burn fat more efficiently by ingesting 10 to 15 grams of carbohydrates a day compared to taking 60 grams of carbohydrates a day?

Because remember that some low-carb diets are divided into 2 kinds. A real low carb diet and a higher low-carb diet of around 50 to 70 grams of carbohydrates a day like the phase 1 of the Protein Power low-carb diet, and the South Beach low-carb diet.

Thanks and i would like to know what do you think

• Richard Nikoley on November 16, 2009 at 13:01

Can’t really say. Probably depends on the individual. I don’t count or measure, so some days I’m zero carb, some maybe 15-30, and some perhaps as much as 100 or so.

• Low-Carber on November 16, 2009 at 18:57

Thanx for clearing that up !! The thing is that i thought that some amount of carbohydrates low in glycemic index such as green cabbage, brocoli and brussel sprouts was good in low-carb diets.

But i guess that we can follow a diet without any carbohydrates and get our glucose that the body needs for energies from the protein and fat we eat.

Thanks, have a nice day 🙂

🙂

6. Ben Faber on November 16, 2009 at 16:48

To All,

Any recommendations on how to cook flap meat? Grill, slow-cook, etc?

Thank you.

7. steven sverlyn on November 16, 2009 at 18:21

@ 14.50, it might be cheaper than Lacenses other steaks, but it is by no means cheap

US Wellness is much cheaper . I’ve found a local grass fed rancher and he’s @ 10 for flank/skirt steaks

I’m sure in the San Jose area you’d be able to find local/cheaper alternatives

8. Marc Feel Good Eating on November 17, 2009 at 12:34

LaCense is pricey, but it’s taste is very very good. People seem to like US Wellness, but from what I can tell most of it comes from outisde the country.

Shanker in Texas is also good.

Marc

• steven sverlyn on November 18, 2009 at 18:17

US wellness is mainly locally sourced

Some of their items are from New Zealand ( Tasmania ) where they’ve been doing grass fed beef forever. I’ve had some od those cuts and actually prefer them to the US stuff

I’ve had very bad experiences with Slanker in terms of the quality of his product, the poor shipping methods ( US Wellness does next day air at the same prices ) and his lack of ethics

9. Marc Feel Good Eating on November 19, 2009 at 06:50

Steven,
    I only ordered from Slanker once and it was good. Lack of ethics? Please share. Always looking to learn….

Marc

10. […] that's my bone stock reduced with a good amount of butter. Needless to say it was excellent. Last time I did Bavette, we had leftovers. Not this time. Bea & I finished it off. Also, if you look at that last […]

11. […] Once again I've wasted time trying to find Mark Sisson's blog about flap steak or bavette. Wanted to give him credit, which this is, but also a link, which I can't do. Alas, it was in one of his Insider emails. A stern email to Mark will follow! . I am totally and completely in love with this cut of meat. For my money, this is the best cut of meat, ounce for pennies, bar none. I used to love grilled tri-tip roasts as the best flavor for dollar. This beats it hands down for my taste buds. Onward. […]