Grassfed Burgers with Cheddar Cheese on a Paleo Bun

Well, based on comments here, I decided to give another try at baking. This time it was to try and make some hamburger buns.

Hamburger Buns
Hamburger Buns

I did about 2/3:1/3 of almond meal to coconut flour. Still too dense & heavy. But, still pleasing to eat with a nice thick, juicy grassfed gourmet burger.

Juicy Grassfed Burger with Cheddar
Juicy Grassfed Burger with Cheddar

Next time I’m going to use more coconut flour and I’m also going to try separating the eggs and beating the whites with some cream of tartar and folding the rest of the ingredients in.

1. Lute Nikoley on November 15, 2009 at 10:00

The bun looks nice and crunchy, is it crumbly?

• Richard Nikoley on November 15, 2009 at 10:10

A bit crumbly, especially for such a monster burger. Still a work in progress.

2. Grok on November 15, 2009 at 12:45

You are definitely speaking my language!

Only a few more weeks until I’m done with my damn reduced calorie dieting!

3. megan on November 15, 2009 at 14:51

WOW! That looks DIVINE!

4. Jenny Light on November 16, 2009 at 09:55

I find almond flour to be extreamely versitle, and use it for baked goods and breading. It makes an outstanding pie crust, and terrific pancakes!

While high in 0-6, I just compensate with added CLO on those days that I indulge in nut products.

For sweeteners, I use raw honey (I know,! I know!) for everthing except for beverages and whipped cream. For those two, I use stevia.

I don’t think that honey is the boogie man that some in the Paleo community make it out to be. Sure, it is high in fructose, but using it wisely (and sparingly) should not be a problem. Always use it in conjunction with LOTS of saturated fat (a cheesecake for example). This helps to dilute the concentration of sugars hitting your bloodstream. Main-lining it by pouring it on pancakes and gobbing it into beverages is not at all wise.

Here are two very intresting articles from Pub-Med regarding honey. Anybody currently condemming honey should check these out!

Effects of daily consumption of honey solution on hematological indices and blood levels of minerals and enzymes in normal individuals.

Natural honey lowers plasma glucose, C-reactive protein, homocysteine, and blood lipids in healthy, diabetic, and hyperlipidemic subjects: comparison with dextrose and sucrose.

5. Sam on November 26, 2009 at 14:33

That burger looks so good 🙂