Wanna Metal?

I’m up at the cabin in Arnold, CA, where Bea & I met my parents late yesterday afternoon after the easiest Friday afternoon drive out of the Bay Area I’ve had in years. Get this: usually it takes nearly 3:30 to get up here with rush traffic and I made it in 2:40.

My dad just posted this to Facebook. Yep, a touch of wettish snow last night, mostly gone now.

cabin
The Cabin

Anyway, I’m eating my mom’s chicken pate with celery, drinking whiskey & soda, and Food, Inc. is downloaded to the Apple TV for viewing after dinner — which will be low & slow tri-tip, a sauce reduction, kohlrabi and salad. Maybe I’ll snap some pictures.

But this post is about entertainment; when I began streaming my iTunes to the Bose earlier, first song up just made me want to share. I’m not much of a metal enthusiast, and this song isn’t really metal, but the band is.

Here’s Metallica, Nothing Else Matters. Oh, and excuse the advert in the video. But, it was the best version.

1. Julie on November 22, 2009 at 08:25

We finally watched Food Inc. last night for the first time. Not much in it was new to me, but it certainly reinforced why we buy local produce and grass-fed beef. Speaking of which…I need to get to the farmer’s market!

One question for you before I go though- Will you be preparing a turkey this thanksgiving, and if so, how do you plan on preparing it? Just curious if you have any secrets to a moist turkey. 🙂

• Richard Nikoley on November 22, 2009 at 10:09

Julie:

Well, I just found out yesterday I’m elected to do the turkey at the parents in law’s place. Never done one before, and I’ve just begun my investigations. I do know about brining, so I’ll probably do that, and I do have a great recipe for the gravy that uses the giblets, liver and neck (and lots of chicken and vegetable stock.

At any rate, I’ll be blogging about it. If I can, I’ll throw up some tidbits of what I’m going to do in advance, in case anyone finds it helpful.

2. san fran J(formerly Minneapolis J on November 21, 2009 at 19:21

great song, haha i am a metal, but the song is good at any rate.

3. Jeanie Campbell on November 21, 2009 at 19:57

Our Sous Vide Supreme arrived and we cooked our first meal, London Broil. It came out perfectly done, but a little dry, which surprised us. We remedied with some beef broth. Did you order an SVS? I remember that you attended one of their events and you spoke highly of the food. Tomorrow morning we are trying the French-style eggs. Love your blog, Richard.

• Skyler Tanner on November 21, 2009 at 20:19

I actually came here to ask about the SVS. Timely and curious!

Best,
      Skyler

• Richard Nikoley on November 22, 2009 at 10:14

Yep, and I got the shipping notice the other day. I suspect it will arrive tomorrow.

4. Trish on November 21, 2009 at 20:51

I just saw Metallica last month (a show that’s now become infamous due to a 20-year-old girl that went missing from it). They did an excellent rendition of this song, I’d forgotten how pretty it was. And God, they all look so young in that video …

5. Ed on November 22, 2009 at 10:35

I know it’s off-topic, but I just saw a photo of banjoist Bela Fleck in our local newspaper–OMG!!! Serious carb-face!

6. Jeremy Hopkins on February 26, 2010 at 03:19

For the turkey I prefer to just wrap it in bacon 🙂 Moist, great taste, and gives you some nice crisp bacon to munch on while finishing other parts of the meal.