A Little Update For Longtime Readers Still Lurking About

This isn’t going to be relevant for the vast majority of readers, so it’ll be short; and so please bear with me. It sorta pertains to this in the sense that one reason the paleo-libertarians have come a callin’ is because I was a libertarian political blogger from ’03 until I went full paleo diet-nutrition last year because, other than the obvious, the paleo life way of eating and moving seems to resonate with libertarians (should be easy to figure out why).

Anyway, we’re talking about Billy Beck, notorious — or infamous — for his Internet activities going as far back as anyone involved in this can remember. I first met up with him in USENET back in ’95 and we’ve been, first, acquaintances, then friends, since. We hit the phone lines every now and then and as the lighting director for Peabo, I’ve been able to have a drink or two with him a couple of times during his gigs out here on the west coast.

Many of my readers have stuck around and they still follow Beck. And Beck, totally out of character, hasn’t blogged much in the last month, and then nothing since 12/1. In the past when he goes off grid, you always know why — like he’s in Indonesia or Barbados, Osaka or Tokyo, or wherever, running lights for shows.

So guess who rang me up this morning?

I’m not going to say what’s going on (neener-neener-neener) but everyone concerned should know that it’s not for bad things he’s not blogging, but for really good things. He’ll get back to you when he’s ready. In the meantime, if you care for him as I do, you can rest assured that it’s safe to be happy.

In my jab-mail to him last night, I said that "just in case you’re wonderin’, we’re dying’ out here."

The first thing out of his mouth this morning was: "I’m livin’ out here."

1. William on December 10, 2009 at 18:01

I never had the p-leasure to view your old site, Richard, even though I am libertarian. But since you mentioned libertarians, it burns my ass to no end to see articles like this mouth-breathing ludite preaching what he believes best for the lower classes, which would be those who subscribe to the paleo diet… and no doubt, libertarians.

I have been on the paleo diet for over a year now, and at 55, I feel better, and can perform anything better than I did during my twenties.

These elitist creeps better have a will stronger than mine before I give up meat and go back to the trash [carbs] that made me feel old, sick and miserable for so many decades.

• Richard Nikoley on December 10, 2009 at 18:32

I’ll check the link which I see you added. In the meantime, if you want a taste. the post are all still on the blog, going back to 2003. Accessible via the archives.

It was 2007, spring that I began including some health posts amongst my otherwise political blogging, then in Sep 2008 went full time.

2. William on December 10, 2009 at 18:27

Uh oh, forgot the link to the aforementioned “mouth-breathing luddite.” http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2009/dec/11/eat-less-meat-dairy-diet

3. bob r on December 11, 2009 at 12:01

“In the meantime, if you care for him as I do, you can rest assured that it’s safe to be happy.”

Thanks for posting this. Billy being the man that he is, I figure someday some thug (read: government agent) is going to harm him (Billy) just because he (thug) can. That good things are coming his way is nice to hear; the world being what it is I think it unlikely he’ll _ever_ get all the good things he actually deserves.

• Richard Nikoley on December 11, 2009 at 12:07

He actually has an update posted now — where he mentions the minor bad things. I guess he’s saving the really good news for later. 🙂

• Richard Nikoley on December 11, 2009 at 12:08

Uh, I shouldn’t call that family death minor. We hadn’t discussed that so I wasn’t thinking of it when I wrote the above.

4. Elliot on January 2, 2010 at 03:57

Good to hear about Billy. I hit his site, Radley Balko, and Warren Meyer at least once a day for a good sampling of Endarkenment outrages. As things rapidly get worse, I find watching or reading “mainstream” news or non-libertarian blogs downright painful at times. As the man often says, “Hell is the impossibility of reason.”

I don’t even bother trying to discuss anything political with anyone in my life, besides my wife–even though we agree on many things, the poor woman has to endure my rants about what I read, and hear me griping at or sometimes shouting at the TV, radio, or websites.

I can understand why you walked away from the political discussions, for the most part. They’re not good for the blood pressure, for some of us. Focusing on other things I can control helps me. While I’m glad their are a few remaining voices of reason, I wouldn’t blame any of them for walking away from their blogs for good.